Sponsored by:

Noise when lowering headlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM
1FunZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise when lowering headlight

This forum has been very helpful over the years solving problems.

On my 2003 Z06, when I lower the headlights it makes a grinding sound for about 5 seconds and then stops. Any ideas on what this is and how to fix it?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:46 PM
1FunZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:26 PM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just my own personal experience with this

Originally I bought the brass gear replacement kit on the belief that the brass gears would last forever and if I bought the stock motor and gear combo I may have the same issue in another ten years. Well I followed the instructions in replacing the nylon gears with the brass ones, added some spacers, replaced all bumpers an so on. The driver side developed the pop up and stay up issue after turning the lights off. An investigation revealed that the epoxy supplied with the bras kit did not hold and the gear cover worked it's way loose and caused this issue. Bought what I thought was some better epoxy and repaired the gear box again. After about two months the same problem re-occurred. I took out the motor and now brass gear assembly only to find the cover had come loose once again and plastic and epoxy pieces were jamming up the gear. Decided at that time just to purchase a whole new assembly from Corvette Mods for both sides. Cost about $290.00 USD. I am sixty now so in 10 years I will be seventy and may be dead by that time anyway.

Todd
Old 08-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Vanover
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tfrankmt
Originally I bought the brass gear replacement kit on the belief that the brass gears would last forever and if I bought the stock motor and gear combo I may have the same issue in another ten years. Well I followed the instructions in replacing the nylon gears with the brass ones, added some spacers, replaced all bumpers an so on. The driver side developed the pop up and stay up issue after turning the lights off. An investigation revealed that the epoxy supplied with the bras kit did not hold and the gear cover worked it's way loose and caused this issue. Bought what I thought was some better epoxy and repaired the gear box again. After about two months the same problem re-occurred. I took out the motor and now brass gear assembly only to find the cover had come loose once again and plastic and epoxy pieces were jamming up the gear. Decided at that time just to purchase a whole new assembly from Corvette Mods for both sides. Cost about $290.00 USD. I am sixty now so in 10 years I will be seventy and may be dead by that time anyway.

Todd
The kit from Rodney is up dated now with a steel backing plate.the job took me about an hour,not counting Time for the epoxy to dry,
Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with the glue letting go. My fix was to get a more permanent glue. I figured once the motor assembly wore through the brass gear. The motor itself would be shot. Im not even sure I turn the head lights on more than once a month. Considering that. I figure this was a lifetime fix.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:13 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by tfrankmt

Todd
I used Jb Weld, but you have to wait at least a day for it to set up and harden.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanover
The kit from Rodney is up dated now with a steel backing plate.the job took me about an hour,not counting Time for the epoxy to dry,
From Rodney's website:
For the late 2000-2004 C5 headlight gear kits I have added a special stamped steel brace with a special plastic bushing. This brace and bushing do two things. It applies a slight pressure against the side cover helping to eliminate side cover glue failures. But most importantly it adds a new bearing surface to support the shaft thus removing all the pressure of the shaft from the side cover and transferring it to this new brace. Once installed this repair should last the life of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise when lowering headlight

Quick Reply: Noise when lowering headlight