Sponsored by:

Goofy clunking sound - from Tech forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Goofy clunking sound - from Tech forum

Sorry to post this in both forums (this one and Tech) but it seems that more eyeballs are on this one...so maybe someone will see it...

Here's a weird one for you experts...

When I pull out of the garage and take off down the driveway everything sounds great. I've noticed lately that when I come home and slow down to turn I hear a slight clunking sound. It's hard to pinpoint where it is coming from but it sounds like the front end somewhere.

Does this make any sense? Is there any component(s) that would be prone to rattling/clunking once things warm up from driving?

2003 stock coupe.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

sway bar link ?????
Old 08-13-2015, 11:05 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Sounds like wheel bearings...
Old 08-13-2015, 11:29 PM
jjaaam
Pro

A wheel bearing can cause a clunking sound?

I've had them go out on other cars before and all I heard was a loud grinding sound. This clunking isn't just one isolated "clunk"...it sounds like something is rattling.

Also, it's not speed dependent. The sound doesn't get worse or better depending on how fast I'm going. It also doesn't happen when I am turning...I hear it as I am slowing down and getting ready to turn.

Last edited by jjaaam; 08-13-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Could be a number of things, sway bar bushing, end links, etc etc. Best bet get your butt under the car and have a look. Hard to diagnose a "clunking" sound over the internet..Wheel bearinsg don't make a clunking sound like you said not sure why grantv would even suggest that. Something is just loose and you being stock I would imagine it's the suspension components..Lift the car up and inspect because all anyone can do is guess..
Old 08-13-2015, 11:56 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Could be a number of things, sway bar bushing, end links, etc etc. Best bet get your butt under the car and have a look. Hard to diagnose a "clunking" sound over the internet..Wheel bearinsg don't make a clunking sound like you said not sure why grantv would even suggest that. Something is just loose and you being stock I would imagine it's the suspension components..Lift the car up and inspect because all anyone can do is guess..
Agreed. Was just hoping that the symptoms would trigger someone's memory of something they had experienced...

I had the front end up a few weeks ago when I was painting my calipers. I looked at the sway bar links and didn't see anything strange...
Old 08-14-2015, 12:02 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by jjaaam
Agreed. Was just hoping that the symptoms would trigger someone's memory of something they had experienced...

I had the front end up a few weeks ago when I was painting my calipers. I looked at the sway bar links and didn't see anything strange...
Did you take the calipers off? retrace your steps and check the torque on them if you did. I would also check the torque on the sway bar bushings and end links..The plastic endlinks probably look like crap so get a really good look/inspect them. Same with the tie rods and bushings...Bust of the torque wrench and get at it. Spray down/rub some lube on all the bushings..Start with the easy stuff first and if you can get the car on jacks and have someone turn the wheel all the way to the left and right while you inspect things under the car while they are turning the wheel..
Old 08-14-2015, 12:33 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Sure I had wheel bearings make a clunking sound around corners in a previous car... maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I misunderstood, it's not around corners...
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Did you take the calipers off? retrace your steps and check the torque on them if you did. I would also check the torque on the sway bar bushings and end links..The plastic endlinks probably look like crap so get a really good look/inspect them. Same with the tie rods and bushings...Bust of the torque wrench and get at it. Spray down/rub some lube on all the bushings..Start with the easy stuff first and if you can get the car on jacks and have someone turn the wheel all the way to the left and right while you inspect things under the car while they are turning the wheel..
Did not take the calipers off. Too lazy for that lol!! Just painted all visual surfaces.

It's a 2003. Weren't the end links metal by then?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Yeah 2002 and up came with metal end links I didn't read your model year. I would get it on jacks and start turning teh wheel and start snooping around and checking torque/tighness
Old 08-14-2015, 05:53 AM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Sway bar links , also check your power steering cooler.. The bolts on mine loosened up
Old 08-14-2015, 11:01 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Sounds can be misleading. Better check the rear also. I think a loose rear axle nut can cause a sound like that too. Making the noise when you start to turn is a key point. Not hearing it initially may be a red herring but I would not discount it yet.

I would get the front wheels off the ground and push/pull on the them to see if you can get any motion to indicate a wheel bearing issue. Grab the tires at 3 and 9 and 12 and 6 and do the push /pull using both hands to see if there is an issue.

Check the lug nuts also.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Sounds can be misleading. Better check the rear also. I think a loose rear axle nut can cause a sound like that too. Making the noise when you start to turn is a key point. Not hearing it initially may be a red herring but I would not discount it yet.

I would get the front wheels off the ground and push/pull on the them to see if you can get any motion to indicate a wheel bearing issue. Grab the tires at 3 and 9 and 12 and 6 and do the push /pull using both hands to see if there is an issue.

Check the lug nuts also.
Just to clarify, I hear it when I am moving in a straight line, not just when turning...
Old 08-15-2015, 08:37 PM
NO_OFCR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue currently, I can get the same noise when the car is parked by pushing on the top of the tire to make the front end shake and it is a fairly loud clunking noise. I have hotchkis sways with stock ends and z06 springs, Ive been under the car with tires off and cant find anything loose. Thought maybe ball joints or shocks but no clue yet. (04 coupe)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:44 AM
2004c5blackcoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your front end is lowered then check the height adjustment bolt pads to make sure that they have not worn down to bare metal and are rubbing on the lower a arm.
They may also need some lubrication between pad and lower arm.

Also check the subframe bolts front and rear the torque is 81 ft/lbs. Loose bolts can cause a clunking sound...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-but-why.html

Get notified of new replies

To Goofy clunking sound - from Tech forum

Quick Reply: Goofy clunking sound - from Tech forum