Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's happy with their 97-00's????

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Owned my '00 for 3 years and touch wood, no serious issues, no codes. Its only ever been out of action whilst getting upgrades. The EBCM situation did worry me a little, but lifes way to short to let that bother ya, so I just drive it and get on with things. I'd find a way if the need arose.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rwilkins
Are you kidding? I've had this car for 10 years. About 36k. true, I don't put a lot of miles on her (1k/year), but I love this car. It's always ready to make me smile, and it looks better than C6 and beyond. Yes, even the new ones (not a Corvette" anymore). They don't have their own identity anymore.........just another expensive car modeled after foreign sports cars. Oh well, mine is still a "Corvette".

Have to agree with you there.... The new C7 looks almost exactly like a Ferrari...
The following users liked this post:
rwilkins (12-04-2016)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:55 PM
99bluvet
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy with my '99 vert. I haven't always been though. When I bought it in summer of '16, starting having issues with abs/tc lights on and code C1225, although they would reset when the car was turned off and retarted. With help from forum and local mechanics, I went through all the suggested fixes, checked all the grounds, replaced both front sensor wires and finally both front wheel bearing/hubs with no success. Lights continued to come on regularly. Finally, on the advice of a local mechanic, I put some dielectric grease on the sensor wire connections. SUCCESS. I only get the lights maybe once in 2-3 months at most. I can definitely live with that. Other than that, the only issue I have is the rocking seat. Will fix that when I get up the nerve to try the DIY fix.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Have an 00....Had no issues as such. I didn't find this forum until 'after' I bought my car. What pissed me off is that the importer, who specializes in bringing in Corvettes, specifically C5/C6/C7 told me at the point of sale that there is zero difference between 99/00/01 etc etc...which clearly was a lie. But in saying that, I should have researched more prior to the purchase, rather than after the fact. All in all been very happy with my 00..
Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Its not that 97 - 00 is known for ecbm issues. The issue is that IF the ecbm goes out there is no replacements and no repair. Many are just advising that its more wise to buy a car that can be fixed if it breaks.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:35 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Seen so many posts bashing or just plain writing off 97-00's as not worthy of purchase/not worthy of book value it got me wondering about the actual owners of these years. I am an owner of a 2000 and purchased it after doing my own research on the differences. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I've had no issues with the car and would buy a 97-00' again over a 00+ in a heartbeat (assuming the earlier car was a better mileage/condition vs. price). I've also had no EBCM issues and have engaged the active handeling on dry roads with some spirited driving. Am I alone in this experiance with my "unwanted" C5 because everytime I see someone giving "advise" to a prospective buyer looking at a pre 2001 and telling them to pass I just scratch my head?

1) Are you happy with your purchase?
2) Would you buy it again or buy 01+
3) Have you had EBCM issues and if so did you fix or leave it?
You need to understand the difference between warning folks about the not so rare possibility of non replaceable parts breaking, and bashing the aforementioned cars. There is nothing wrong with the early C-5s, as long as all the components are working. However should a EBCM or other part made of 'unobtainium' break, it can get very costly fast.

Last edited by Phanni; 08-21-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:56 AM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Been enticed to trade up and got to thinking. Most c5's, especially the early ones aren't even worth the annual depreciation on a new car. Too many people on here worry about the things that can happen. I would still drive my 98 if I had dic messages about the abs/tc and I think many other members already do.
msandym (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

I've been very happy with my '99. I've had to fix a few of the normal C5 (not 97-00 specific) problems.. rocking seats, sport seat air bladders, harmonic balancer, clutched alternator pulley, etc. I haven't had any non-replaceable part problems and not really worried about it if I eventually do. I just enjoy it

I'd have no hesitation picking up another if it was well taken care of and everything checked out.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Cant believe noones fixing or making replacement ECBMs..Chevy could be seliing a whole lot of them. They sure used to sell everything you could think of guess they want us buying new ones

OP no right or wrong answer theres good and bad about early and late

Once I was told, "All cars are junk, gotta figure out what level of junk you can tolerate". Man, truer words were never spoken

Part of me really wants an 04 Z one day but have no tolerance or patience at this stage in life to deal with electric diagnostic stuff nor paying someone 100hr to guess.

3 new Trucks proved that...afraid if I did Id really hate Vettes, borderline as it is. Pics are cheap
Old 08-21-2017, 04:21 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Cant believe noones fixing or making replacement ECBMs..Chevy could be seliing a whole lot of them. They sure used to sell everything you could think of guess they want us buying new ones

OP no right or wrong answer theres good and bad about early and late

Once I was told, "All cars are junk, gotta figure out what level of junk you can tolerate". Man, truer words were never spoken

Part of me really wants an 04 Z one day but have no tolerance or patience at this stage in life to deal with electric diagnostic stuff nor paying someone 100hr to guess.

3 new Trucks proved that...afraid if I did Id really hate Vettes, borderline as it is. Pics are cheap
That's why I bought 2002 . Never thought corvette was junk though
Old 08-21-2017, 06:46 PM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Extremely pleased with my 98 vert

My 98 Corvette still makes me smile every time I look at it or drive it.
About a week after I bought it, I ended up having emergency heart bypass surgery.
Now that I survived, I may never part with the car.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:48 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

I bought a '99 6 spd vert. I had been looking for a later year but that black '99 was so nicely kept that I couldn't resist. Only mods I've had done was a CAI, exhaust and a dyno tune. The car has been great. Only issues I have had was a sudden fuel leak from the drivers side tank which required a replacement and a horrendous go around with a stealership trying to charge me $1500.00 for a horn repair. I know that parts that are out of production/inventory could be an issue at some point but I'll just continue to enjoy the car as I reflect on the incredible performance bargain that came my way. As far as looking into the future, I have no desire for a C6 or C7. Very happy with my C5 as it sits. Best wishes!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Milamo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yanmar
I HAVE A 99 COUPE WITH ALL THE OPTIONS THAT I PURCHASED SOME 10 YEARS AGO . IT HAS SERVED ME WELL IN THAT TIME WITH ONLY A COUPLE OF MINOR PROBLEMS THAT I RECTIFIED WITH THE HELP OF THIS FORUM. WHEN BUYING A CAR,ANY CAR, THE CONDITION WILL BE PRIORITY ONE IN MY BOOK. YES I WOULD BUY THIS CAR AGAIN. NOTE.....I LOVE THE HEADS UP DISPLAY SO THAT WOULD ELIMINATE THE 97-98 MODEL YEARS FOR ME.
My 99 does not have the heads up. Must be an early year model.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Milamo
Advanced

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
As you well know that if you read this forum long enough you will come to realize that every part of these cars have critics. Tires, stereos, seats, brakes, head lights, etc.. I could go on forever (people think I do this all the time). I'm guilty of it myself. My pet peeve is "Wagon Wheels".
I was so happy the day I replaced my wagon wheels...
Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,039 Posts

I've had my '99 for nearly 12 years. I bought it in Feb 2006 with only 1,658 miles and aside from 2 window regulators and a clutch master cylinder, it's been trouble free.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 AM
sjhanc
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Back during the sixtys when I became a car lover I thought that the Jaguar XK E was the most beautiful car ever built. I went on to own 2 C2 Vettes, a 66 big block fastback I bought for my wife, and a 67 327 Vert for myself. We got divorced and the Vettes were sold. Last year I bought a basket case Torch red Targa top and planned to fix it up and clean it, then maybe sell it for a small profit, reasonable considering how little I paid for it.

I spent 2 months getting it reliable for every day driving and it turned out to be such a sweet ride I took another look at it. I think its body style is reminicient of the old XK E and I began to fix its many paint defects. The more I worked on it the better I liked it, the smooth curves and aerodynamic design is the best Corvette body ever built, to ME anyway. I know that most Vettes built after the C5 are more powerful, but I am no longer driven to go as fast as I can with my hair on fire. This car has enough performance in stock condition to demand respect for its potential to get me in a lot of trouble if it is mishandled.

And, I STILL think the old Jag was/is the most beautiful car, but this C 5 is a close second.
Attached Images  
friou (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:00 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought a 1997 4-5 years ago with 120,000 and mostly just regular maintenance. It's been a weekend car and a few road trips. I'm gonna change the belts and hoses and get back to the road trip part. Great car with incredible freeway gas mileage

The car has been around the block a few times too, just like a few women I know. Lol. I'd guess previous owners took decent care of it

Get notified of new replies

To Who's happy with their 97-00's????

Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by sjhanc
Back during the sixtys when I became a car lover I thought that the Jaguar XK E was the most beautiful car ever built. I went on to own 2 C2 Vettes, a 66 big block fastback I bought for my wife, and a 67 327 Vert for myself. We got divorced and the Vettes were sold. Last year I bought a basket case Torch red Targa top and planned to fix it up and clean it, then maybe sell it for a small profit, reasonable considering how little I paid for it.

I spent 2 months getting it reliable for every day driving and it turned out to be such a sweet ride I took another look at it. I think its body style is reminicient of the old XK E and I began to fix its many paint defects. The more I worked on it the better I liked it, the smooth curves and aerodynamic design is the best Corvette body ever built, to ME anyway. I know that most Vettes built after the C5 are more powerful, but I am no longer driven to go as fast as I can with my hair on fire. This car has enough performance in stock condition to demand respect for its potential to get me in a lot of trouble if it is mishandled.

And, I STILL think the old Jag was/is the most beautiful car, but this C 5 is a close second.

I don't know how bad the paint was, or what you did to improve it, but it looks pretty damn good to me!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
Its not that 97 - 00 is known for ecbm issues. The issue is that IF the ecbm goes out there is no replacements and no repair. Many are just advising that its more wise to buy a car that can be fixed if it breaks.

And while this is not bad advice, it severely limits the number of C5s available if a person is looking to buy one. If you're ruling out all pre '01 models, that's a lot of C5s that aren't being considered. Like some have said earlier in this thread, if the ECBM hasn't gone bad by now, that probably means it has good solder joints and it probably won't go bad. There are a lot of real nice pre '01 C5s out there, and to completely rule them out solely because the ECBM MIGHT go bad I think is overkill. There's probably as much of a chance you'll experience a major engine or transmission failure on any year model as there is a chance the EBCM will go out...I would still take a well maintained one or two owner pre '01 over a questionable multiple owner '01 or newer any day...
Old 08-22-2017, 08:14 AM
rwilkins
Racer

Default Old School

IMO, I really don't care much for the new vettes. Crazy, maybe. I waited 52 years since the first vette rolled off the line. My '99 has what I need. To me, I have the ultimate Corvette. The new ones are trying to compete with the sports cars overseas. WHY? A Corvette has its own identity. I can spot a C5 from a far distance.
Attached Images   

Last edited by rwilkins; 08-22-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Who's happy with their 97-00's????