Trunk lid pop assist issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:28 AM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
Did you try lubing the locking mechanism before you gave up on the stock mechanism? Worked for mine for 3 years now. A little WD 40 goes a long way.
My car had the popper on it when I bought it two years ago and the trunk still wouldn't open enough to get your fingers under it. Tried lubing the hinges/struts, replaced the struts, still no-go. Finally, I lubed the spring in the lock. Had to peel back the carpet a little and shot it with some PB Blaster. Has worked great now for over a year. Not sure if I still need the spring but it is still there too.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:32 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

My orig. one works fine on my 01
Old 07-03-2015, 09:54 AM
williame3590
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My 03 vert only has one strut and works perfect. The car never had a second strut installed and doing some research on the Canadian Vette site I'm not the only one that had a single strut right from day one.

Bill
Old 07-03-2015, 11:31 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Before running out to purchase new struts, or installing a spring, use WD40 on the struts, and lock.
It worked perfectly for me.

Before I use to pop the trunk with the dash button, or fob, and then would have to stick my key in the edge to get the trunk to open enough to get my fingers under the lip.
Now since I sprayed it, even with the top down, it opens about 1& 1/4" to allow plenty of room for my fingers to lift it.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 07-06-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:40 PM
caroutisine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had that problem on my '98 coupe but do on the '00 convertible. Easiest thing is to pop the trunk and then open and close one of the doors. The trunk lid on mine then pops open enough to get hold of the lid and pull it up.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:54 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I installed the trunk spring two weeks ago in my wife's

59th Anniversary convertible and it works just great. Easy fix for a common problem. And best of all, I won't have to hear how "hard it is to open the trunk on my Corvette"!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by caroutisine
Never had that problem on my '98 coupe but do on the '00 convertible. Easiest thing is to pop the trunk and then open and close one of the doors. The trunk lid on mine then pops open enough to get hold of the lid and pull it up.
Easiest thing? The easiest thing is to oil the mechanism and if that doesn't work install the spring and never have to deal with it again.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:13 PM
caroutisine
Racer

Originally Posted by JR-01
Easiest thing? The easiest thing is to oil the mechanism and if that doesn't work install the spring and never have to deal with it again.
Ok, maybe the quickest thing, I will have to give the lube a try and see if that corrects it.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 AM
tandt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, maybe the quickest thing, I will have to give the lube a try and see if that corrects it.
Lube fixed mine for a while but as the strut gets weaker it stopped working with oil. New struts and help keeping the trunk lid UP when needed.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 2 C5's, a Conv and a Z06 street legal track car. Bought these for both cars. these things are great. No more broken nails trying to get the turnk open. Two best things I got for my C5's, these trunk assists and cup holders that slide under the console. These things are so simple but so effective.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:05 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Lemon Pledge

Seriously folks, this will work on the struts. Do it every spring, never have an issue!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Here's the latch for a convertible;

The spring in the latch is what does the lifting. As the trunk is closed, the loop bracket will contact the spring arm then continue down and latch. In the closed position, the loaded spring supplies a considerable force to the trunk lid. When the release solenoid is energized and the loop bracket is freed, the spring force is supposed to lift the trunk lid about an inch. If the spring is broken, worn out, dirty, or not lubed it won't have enough force to overcome the weight of the trunk lid. In the open position the spring arm should be tight to the frame stop as shown in the photo and offer considerable resistance to downward movement. If the spring is ok then the assembly should be cleaned and lubed, not WD40.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one

The spring in the latch is what does the lifting. As the trunk is closed, the loop bracket will contact the spring arm then continue down and latch. In the closed position, the loaded spring supplies a considerable force to the trunk lid. When the release solenoid is energized and the loop bracket is freed, the spring force is supposed to lift the trunk lid about an inch. If the spring is broken, worn out, dirty, or not lubed it won't have enough force to overcome the weight of the trunk lid. In the open position the spring arm should be tight to the frame stop as shown in the photo and offer considerable resistance to downward movement. If the spring is ok then the assembly should be cleaned and lubed, not WD40.
So the easiest fix is the aftermarket assist spring and then you never have to mess with it again.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one

I have to respectfully disagree with you about the wd40.
It did the trick on my problem with the trunk not opening enough to get fingers under it to lift the trunk up.
As I stated above, it now opens over an inch so I can easily get my fingers under the lip to raise the trunk.

I would really like to see the struts operate like the ones on my pickup tonneau cover.
I only have to lift the cover one inch off the body, and the tonneau cover rises to its full open level on it's own.

Bob.

Bob.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Trunk Lid Not Opening
I went through this about 3 years ago. I took the whole thing out of the trunk and had a look at the spring mechanism. What I found was that there was a binding within the latch mechanism. What is happening because of this binding is that the release finger (Latch) that goes through the striker when the trunk is closed, does not move out of the way quickly enough when released to open the trunk. It is the part that is binding. The striker while moving upwards contacts the binding latch, impeding the full lift of the trunk lid. So it's not really that the mechanism isn't strong enough in upward movement, but that the latch doesn't get out of the way quickly enough when released. Easy fix though I sprayed some WD-40 in the latch on either side of the finger of the latch assembly that catches the striker. It worked immediately. And so I went around to every hinge point also with the WD to ensure the best possible ease of motion. Also I cleaned the rubber gasket around the trunk which was also contributing to holding the lid down. About 6 months latter when the weather got cold it started to happen again so this time I used a Lithium spray grease and since then it has never happened again. I hope that all made sense and I am sure it'll work for you.

Well I posted this about 5 years ago and I haven't had any problems with mine since then. I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by Stock Man; 07-25-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:00 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Did you remove or open anything to spray the latch?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Did you remove or open anything to spray the latch?
No. just locate that finger thing that hooks into the hole in the latch and lubricate both sides of it. You can see the tip of it when you look down into the receiver. Open and close it a few times to get the lubrication well into the mechanism. I guess when they manufactured it they were a little heavy one the pressure that sandwiches it all together. Let me know if this works for you.

You can also simulate the latch part with something and see it come up and over what you stick in there as a substitute. Then use your fob to open it again. Good luck it is a easy fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk lid pop assist issues

Old 07-26-2015, 01:34 AM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
I'm confused. Is the hatch supposed to pop all the way up when you activate the switch? Ours pops up about an inch. Works fine for me.
I replaced my trunk struts about a month ago, Easy to replace and inexpensive. I bought a pair off Ebay about $25-$30. Mine pops up about 3/4"-1 inch.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:08 PM
emsteph
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Works.

Easiest fix for sure. Unless my top is down. Will look at a bit of WD40 as well.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Just my 2c ... I had this but took it off!
It worked great.. But then the hatch had issues actually closing completely and lock down..
It would pop open with force, and I think this action has done something..
It's fine now, odd times I have issues but rare, and few attempts closes it..

I may look into the struts, didn't think that would actually do anything?

Quick Reply: Trunk lid pop assist issues