[Z06] Z06 Or Base Vette For Track Day Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:38 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Z06 Or Base Vette For Track Day Car

Was not sure where to post this:
I'm replacing my v8 Miata track car with a Vette. I'm done with a caged track only car. It's time for a car that can do double duty. Drive to the track, drive on the track & drive home. I was never a Vette guy. In addition to driving on the track I also instruct people on how to drive on a road race course. As an instructor I've been in at least 50 Vettes sitting in the right seat and limited time in the left seat. In addition to those I've shared the track with hundreds of Vettes over the years. Slowly but surely I became a Vette guy. Last year I got an 02 Conv. Love the car.

Here's my question. I've been looking at 03-04 Z06's. I'm looking to be around $20k. Pickens at that price point are pretty slim. But, if I expand my search to include base Vettes the availability grows tremendously.
Would it make sense to get a $12,000 to $15,0000 car and upgrade it for the track. Keep it simple, cam, suspension, brakes. I want to stay non-aspirated, no blowers. Keep it simple and street-able & below $20k.
Does any of this make sense.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:47 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mwestc5
I'm replacing my v8 Miata track car with a Vette. I'm done with a caged track only car. It's time for a car that can do double duty. Drive to the track, drive on the track & drive home. I was never a Vette guy. In addition to driving on the track I also instruct people on how to drive on a road race course. As an instructor I've been in at least 50 Vettes sitting in the right seat and limited time in the left seat. In addition to those I've shared the track with hundreds of Vettes over the years. Slowly but surely I became a Vette guy. Last year I got an 02 Conv. Love the car.

Here's my question. I've been looking at 03-04 Z06's. I'm looking to be around $20k. Pickens at that price point are pretty slim. But, if I expand my search to include base Vettes the availability grows tremendously.
Would it make sense to get a $12,000 to $15,0000 car and upgrade it for the track. Keep it simple, cam, suspension, brakes. I want to stay non-aspirated, no blowers. Keep it simple and street-able & below $20k.
If you want a track car that is kept mostly stock and reliable, the Z06 makes the mot sense.

If you want something that you want to customize especially for your needs/desires, either platform would work.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:39 AM
sub150
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have no problem finding a Z below 20k. Ones with over 100k are below 18k all day.

I'm not sure if a base vette with 3k of upgrades would be better than a stock Z. I would assume so as long as you are doing the work.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:58 AM
ZED0HSIX
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested to see what you all have to say on the matter. I am currently stashing away cash like a mad man. I want a z06, but If I can get the same performance for far less cash in the suspension department from an FRC, I am onboard with the 5-10k in savings of the initial cost.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:19 AM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Z06 all the way and 100,000 miles is not a concern. You're going to replace the brakes and most of the suspension on ANY vette of the vintage you're looking at. Get the Z car with the big brakes, strong suspension, stiff body, big motor, manual transmission, and have fun.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 AM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Z-06 all day!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 AM
mwestc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by RIKKI Z-06
Z-06 all day!
Guys thanks.
I was thinking with the Z06, I'd in initially do nothing except harness bar, harnesses & seats. I was hoping to be able to mange with the Z's stock brakes/suspension. Most of the people I've instructed had stock everything in their Z's and they seemed to hold up very well. But, these were track newbies not driving anywhere near as hard as I would. My track buddies were saying I'd need to get bigger brakes and coilovers anyway to make the Z suitable for my driving style. My thinking was-NO-I'm not doing anything till I get a decent amount of seat time in the car to confirm whether I need these or not. This is HPDE, we're not racing. Although in my run group it sure feels like we're racing. The thinking was if I was going to have to upgrade suspension anyway, look for an FRC or base coupe at a lower price and then add on brakes/suspension. And only engine work would be a cam and a good tune. And in the end come out with less cash spent.
Regarding Z with 100k miles. At 1st I was looking at those, actually did not see many. Now I've gotten more picky and am looking at Z's 50k miles or less. Sounds like you guys are saying to almost ignore the miles.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'm relatively new to the HPDE world. I picked up a 02Z last year and fall into the group you talk about that is not near the limit. I feel like either a base C5 or the Z06 would work well. I say this because they will both ultimately have the same mods done to them (sway bars, shocks, brakes, seats, harnesses). They will both have cooling issues with oil and coolant. Both have the same stock brake setup. LS6 gets you like 50 more hp (i think).

I'd stick with a C5 that is an 02-04. There are some service parts that are expensive or rare should you need to replace them. Steering wheel position sensor or the EBCM come to mind. I think the later C5's also have stronger components in the torque tube but I'm not sure.

My car is a low mile Z06. Kinda wish I went with something that I would feel better about abusing. But I am where I am and I'm not about to get a different car. All in all, I love the Z06. I think the FRC body line is very cool and the LS6 is a beast compared to what I am used to driving.

There is a great sticky topic in the road racing section that documents someones journey tracking a C5Z.

Good luck with your search!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Z06 is my choice but a base would also work well.

Regarding your list of mods I suggest seats, harnesses, HANS and harness bar before you ever spend a dime elsewhere. Corvette OEM seats suck for the track.

For any further info that you need it's probably best to post in the Autocrossing and Roadracing section.

Good luck and hope to see you at the track soon
Old 06-06-2015, 03:17 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to consider is the cost of the BBK and a good set of coilovers. Just those two could make up the the 5-8K you would save on the Z6, then you still have to spend another $2500+ to make up the power difference from a base model to a Z06. IMHO I would do the Z, replace the sway bar/bars, maybe some tires and be done with it for awhile there. I think the cost to get to the stock z06 level, or exceed it, would nullify the initial cost savings.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:53 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I would definitely get a c5z if it were going to be a track only car. I'm sure you will find one for $20k or less. I'd get one with higher miles (100k) and not so great condition since your only going to be racing it anyway. People report picking these up for $15 k, even less in some cases. I'd imagine most of them selling below 15k are a bit rough, and may need a little work for those prices. For a track only car that would be fine.

Edit- I just did a search on autotrader and you were right, there is next to nothing listed under $20. I found TWO c5z's at 19.9 and that was within 300 miles of the philly area. That's surprising. If you go up to low 20's there a lot more available. If someone has one listed at 21-22 you can very likely get them to 19.5 I'm sure. Maybe try CL, probably better chance of finding a lower price high miler on there.

Last edited by MY03C5Z; 06-06-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:24 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

One thing should be noted... as 'ready' as the Z is for the track, the OEM brake pads on the Z06 are not track worthy. If you stay with the stock sizes during your initial use, at least change the pads.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a 2002 Z06, as they don't have the gas tank crossover problem ($2500 FIX).
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 AM
bradsvette57
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Zo6

The ZO6 will be somewhat tougher and will withstand the abuse a little better. Skip the coil-overs. Run the stock ZO6 bars and springs. Buy the T1 kit later if you think the suspension is too soft, which it is. Be ready to buy lots of rotors, especially if you upgrade the pads, which I would suggest.

Like someone else said, upgrade the seats. The stock seats are horrible for the track. You'll chafe your left knee in most/right-hand corners trying to stay in the seat, and ultimately the seat release will fail and the seat won't stay upright.

So... racing seats, harness bar and belts, better pads, racing brake fluid are all essential. Tires would be nice, but you'll put less stress on the car with stock tires. Consider an accu-sump. All the T1 guys, including me, had them.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:23 PM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did something similar here. Got an 03 Z06, one track day and I knew the seats were terrible. Picked up some Corbeau A4s and the difference in driving confidence is amazing. Also got new shocks, pads, etc. I'm not competitive, but the car could be.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:40 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddie O
I went with a 2002 Z06, as they don't have the gas tank crossover problem ($2500 FIX).
What is this problem and why is it so much $$$?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The weight difference isn't all that much but the power difference is. Unless you have your heart set on the body shape of the Z06, a coupe isn't much different on track. If you find a deal on a coupe, you're a spring, shock, and sway bar swap away from essentially the same car minus a few hp.

As for what to do "right away".... COOLING! Brakes, coolant, and oil. Doug Rippie even has everything on one webpage for you. http://dougrippie.com/category/produ...-2004/cooling/ Buy the Ron Davis radiator with integrated oil cooler plus the brake cooling ducts.

Unfortunately, you're looking at another few grand above and beyond the price of the stock car to really get it really "track ready".

Cooling (oil, coolant, brakes)
Seat/harness/harness bar
Spare set of wheels with track tires so you don't tear up your street tires
Shocks (+ springs/bars if you buy a coupe)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Or Base Vette For Track Day Car

Old 06-08-2015, 04:58 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Z06
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daddie O
Right you are: I looked at an 04 with fuel delivery issues.
Yes, it was potentially a $2500 fix.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

My Dilemma Has Been Solved
Found the perfect track/street Z06 for me on CL 180 miles from my home.
An 03 with 44k miles on it.
The car is 100% track ready and street legal & street drive-able.
Spotted it on CL around 9pm this past Sat night.
Contacted him and explained only time I could see it was by 11am the next morning. Had a family function that I had to be home for by 4pm at latest or finding a car would be the least of my problems. I was leaving for LA for a week on Tue am. He said come on over.
Friend went with me & he drove, left my car at his home.
Car was exactly as described.
Very solid running and in good physical shape except for a bit of peppering on the nose & hood that you'd expect from a track car. I think most of it can be easily buffed out.
My buddy & I drove it and hammered it--it was great. Drove as comfortably as my C5 convertible. Which I left at my buddies home till I get back from LA. His wife is enjoying the C5 convertible.
This 03 is completely upgraded for the track with everything very well professionally done.
The stock seats were in the car and they are in real nice shape.
Entire interior is very clean.
A new Kirkey Seat that bolts in is included.
Very nicely installed 4 pt. roll bar, bolted to chassis
Upgraded Radiator
Oil Cooler
Trans Cooler
New Coilovers
Upgraded Rotors
Calipers
Pads
All the creature comforts work, AC/Heater Radio etc.
Bought it on the spot and drove it home.
My buddy and I each drove it about 1/2 way and we did not take it easy at all. Car was very comfortable. My buddy has a Hyundai Genesis R Spec. 425hp. It was a fun drive, driving the **** out of each others cars.
For me, this is the perfect track/street car.
No More Towing
No More Climbing In/Out Of Cage
No More Switching Dry/Wet Tires
Have 3 track events coming up between next week and early July but won't be driving this car just yet. If I have not yet sold my v8 Miata I'll be driving that at the track in hopes of maybe selling it there. I'm hoping to sell it soon only so I can drive the Z on the track.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Or Base Vette For Track Day Car