Got a ticket yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:04 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket

Originally Posted by ZFLASH
First off, I'm not asking for sympathy,or am I denying that I wasn't speeding. He got me for 81 in a 70, but I know it wasn't my car he hit. I have a detector and diffuser set up on my car,and I was coming around a curve when it hit. I was behind a Tahoe just cruising, so after writing me up I asked if I could ask question. Now,I'm always yes sir no sir when addressing an officer.He said sure,I asked why he didn't get the Tahoe, he stumbled not expecting this. He said that it was going only 79mph and I was going 81mph, now my thinking is, let's get the Vette. Anyway,yes I was speeding,this I think is another example of Vette profiling. That's all,L8R ZFLASH
ZFLASH,

That's why I try never to exceed 9 mph over the speed limit on an interstate. Most cops will allow you 9 over, but not 11. I once received a speeding ticket for 46 mph in a 35, but it was in a school zone with a speed trap and 3 other cars pulled over. I was on an unfamiliar country road where the speed limit was 55 mph just prior to the school zone. It cost me $140.00. Since then, I've been ticket free for nearly 11 years.

Carcrisis
Old 05-31-2015, 11:33 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

It's been my observation locally that the most guilty speeders are drivers of 4 cylinder econo-boxes. No matter what speed I am driving, here comes a soccer mom or college bound kid flying by like I'm dragging an anchor. My wife has a new hybrid and I have found that they do seem to like cruising in the upper stratosphere if your not watching. My Corvette has enough visceral sounds and feedback that I pretty well know my speed without having to look.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
It's been my observation locally that the most guilty speeders are drivers of 4 cylinder econo-boxes. No matter what speed I am driving, here comes a soccer mom or college bound kid flying by like I'm dragging an anchor. My wife has a new hybrid and I have found that they do seem to like cruising in the upper stratosphere if your not watching. My Corvette has enough visceral sounds and feedback that I pretty well know my speed without having to look.
I agree. Seems like most that blow by me on the freeway are SUVs or compact cars driven by women/girls on their cell phones, totally oblivious of their surroundings. Probably late for a hair appointment.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Just imagine all the others times you have speed and not got caught. Take it suck it up and move on with life. I know what I'm facing when I make a 2-5th gear pull under boost...makes those soccer moms feel like they are going back in time..
Old 05-31-2015, 02:10 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by JR-01
I have been stopped several times in Corvettes and all of the time I deserved a ticket. The cop always started talking about the car and ended with him telling me to take it easy and watch the speed limit. Not once did I get a ticket. Most cops like cars, too and I have never run across one that was out to get us. Funny how some folks always have someone to blame for their own mistakes. Corvette profiling? Really?
Did you not read the part where I admitted I was wrong and had NO problem with the ticket? I guess you have never heard of the Vette tax either, where the exact same part is way cheaper because it goes on another car. Really wasn't blaming anyone but my dumb*ss self,the profiling part came from the fact that I do have a diffuser and the fact that the car in front of me was speeding too. I don't blame the LEO for doing his job either, it was just my turn. Hell, if I got a ticket every time I deserved it,I wouldn't have a license. Just saying, L8R ZFLASH
Old 05-31-2015, 02:20 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Did you not read the part where I admitted I was wrong and had NO problem with the ticket? I guess you have never heard of the Vette tax either, where the exact same part is way cheaper because it goes on another car. Really wasn't blaming anyone but my dumb*ss self,the profiling part came from the fact that I do have a diffuser and the fact that the car in front of me was speeding too. I don't blame the LEO for doing his job either, it was just my turn. Hell, if I got a ticket every time I deserved it,I wouldn't have a license. Just saying, L8R ZFLASH
Sorry, I read this
I think is another example of Vette profiling.
and it seemed like you thought the cop was out to get you because you had a Corvette. I have never experienced "Corvette profiling" and have had the opposite experience with cops. They have given me a break because of the car I was driving.

As for the Corvette tax I do know that exists, but shopping around can sometimes get prices down to normal levels.

Last edited by JR-01; 05-31-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:46 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

I know my post seem to be a little long and confusing,sorry. I too have had nothing but great experience with the leo's,in the 12yrs of owning the car, that was my first speeding ticket. I just wanted to vent a little,that's all. Have a great day,L8R ZFLASH
Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 PM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I am a LEO and I have given many breaks to people driving all sorts of vehicles. I have never written a driver of a Corvette a ticket. That being said, I don't believe you were being "Corvette Profiled" by saying the car in front of you was speeding and you were too..If I remember didn't you say that the SUV was going 79 and you were lasered at 81. It seems to me you were stopped because you were driving faster than the car in front. But that is my .02.

I do understand that you never blamed anyone but yourself however it is because you were speeding(which you admitted) regardless of what car you were driving.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:59 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

First off, I'm not asking for sympathy,or am I denying that I wasn't speeding. He got me for 81 in a 70, but I know it wasn't my car he hit. I have a detector and diffuser set up on my car,and I was coming around a curve when it hit. I was behind a Tahoe just cruising, so after writing me up I asked if I could ask question. Now,I'm always yes sir no sir when addressing an officer.He said sure,I asked why he didn't get the Tahoe, he stumbled not expecting this. He said that it was going only 79mph and I was going 81mph, now my thinking is, let's get the Vette. Anyway,yes I was speeding,this I think is another example of Vette profiling. That's all,L8R ZFLASH
Oops!! It happens in the best of families, as they say.

In Houston, if you get tagged on a freeway by HPD, 90% of the time (or more) it's going to be by a traffic enforcement officer, and that's all they do all day long. Radar, laser, they use both.

You definitely seem to have a decent attitude about the whole thing ('cept maybe the part about "profiling" ) and if your driving record is as clean as you say it is, you can request taking a DDC course to get a ticket dismissal so it will not go on your record. Lots of folks choose that route to keep matters off their driving record. It's a nuisance, but hey, it's better than the points on your license (which Texas now has).

IIRC, if you do want to take the DDC course for ticket dismissal, it has to be requested before your arraignment date. Call one of the numbers listed on the backside down at Municipal Court to check on the procedure for requesting. These requests are very commonplace and I'm pretty sure you can go there (I think that's required) to one of the windows and get the paperwork started. They'll give you instructions on everything you need to do and how many weeks you have to complete.
I THINK there are now approved online courses that can be taken so you can do it at home, but check.

If you decide you want to go the lawyer route, PM me and I'll give you the name of a very good one. He's a former Assistant City Attorney and knows the process inside and out as he specializes in traffic cases for the last few years and WON'T skin you alive on his fee. He's a good man, I've known him for years. One of the few lawyers I know that I can honestly say that about.

HTH
Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Sorry to hear man. Where did it happen? I've seen a ton of them on the beltway feeder roads lately in our area. A few actually sit on the beltway right before an exit and wait for people speeding on the feeder and nail them.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 AM
sharkwhite
Navigator

A lot of people dont realize in virginia over 80 mph is a reckless driving ticket. The cops will sit on on 85 past richmond where the road is beautiful and 70mph handing out reckless driving tickets on sunny days by the handfuls usually to young people going 81mph. Its a racket because it is also a class 3 misdemeanor that you have to get a lawyer for. If i was a young person in school over 18 with no job get a public defender.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I use Waze. It's not perfect but will alert me most of the time about police, traffic, car on shoulder, etc...
Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Dude, after you got the ticket, you should have spun the tires and went sideways leaving the cop in the dust.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:10 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Oops!! It happens in the best of families, as they say.

In Houston, if you get tagged on a freeway by HPD, 90% of the time (or more) it's going to be by a traffic enforcement officer, and that's all they do all day long. Radar, laser, they use both.

You definitely seem to have a decent attitude about the whole thing ('cept maybe the part about "profiling" ) and if your driving record is as clean as you say it is, you can request taking a DDC course to get a ticket dismissal so it will not go on your record. Lots of folks choose that route to keep matters off their driving record. It's a nuisance, but hey, it's better than the points on your license (which Texas now has).

IIRC, if you do want to take the DDC course for ticket dismissal, it has to be requested before your arraignment date. Call one of the numbers listed on the backside down at Municipal Court to check on the procedure for requesting. These requests are very commonplace and I'm pretty sure you can go there (I think that's required) to one of the windows and get the paperwork started. They'll give you instructions on everything you need to do and how many weeks you have to complete.
I THINK there are now approved online courses that can be taken so you can do it at home, but check.

If you decide you want to go the lawyer route, PM me and I'll give you the name of a very good one. He's a former Assistant City Attorney and knows the process inside and out as he specializes in traffic cases for the last few years and WON'T skin you alive on his fee. He's a good man, I've known him for years. One of the few lawyers I know that I can honestly say that about.

HTH
Thanks for the comments, this happened in another state so I'm letting my lawyer handle it. As for my record,there is no moving violations on it for at least 15yrs. So we have to wait for it to be put into the system,then we'll go from there. Thanks, L8R ZFLASH
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black 02
Sorry to hear man. Where did it happen? I've seen a ton of them on the beltway feeder roads lately in our area. A few actually sit on the beltway right before an exit and wait for people speeding on the feeder and nail them.
Dude where have you and Maxx been, have you stopped trolling on here? This happened right across the border in Louisiana, in Vinton to be precise. Usually I'm watching ahead at other drivers,but this time I was talking with my passenger and when I came around the corner he sitting right there.Oh well sheeet happens, I have a few irons in the fire trying to work this out. Good to see your still around,almost called to see if your neighbor still wants my car. I was soooooo close to getting a C7. Decided to keep it and drop a ls2 in my truck, L8R ZFLASH
Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Vinton? Lived in Beaumont for decades....know all about LA troopers Been here in Lufkin for years now and know Zavalla, Huntington and Alto PD's as well.

My last ticket was 124mph in a 75mph zone...cause the Constable didn't want to write me up for 160mph + and he didn't want to chase down the Honda Pilot that blew by me. His reason was I stopped for him.

Speeding tickets are generally self inflicted so I never argue unless it really wasn't deserved, and only dispute them in court, never on the roadside.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ikester
Dude, after you got the ticket, you should have spun the tires and went sideways leaving the cop in the dust.
I had a young woman take off very quickly and swear at me after I had given her a speeding ticket years and years ago. In the process, I had to jump back to keep her from running over my foot. I wrote everything down on my copy of the ticket and when I went to court, the judge asked me if there was anything in aggravation. When I told him that she hadn't been very lady-like and nearly ran over my foot, he fined her an extra $100. Then there was the woman who pooped her pants . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Got a ticket yesterday

Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 AM
joewom
Racer

Yes it sucks but him saying you were going 79 and you said 81 is still probably accurate. Laser and or radar is more accurate then your cars spedo which is usually off a few MPH's. A radar detector works but sometimes just to tell you slow down pull over and wait for the cop to catch up and a diffuser is a waste of money. Unless you by a jammer which true ones are illegal nothing works. Will you get picked out in a group of cars doing the same speed because your driving a vette. Yes you will. Live with it lol.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Default Speeding Tickets

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Cops have jobs to do and part of that job is to stop speeders, whether they like to or not.

Ask me how I know!
bikeriderga,

You're a cop, right? Duh!

Carcrisis
Old 06-02-2015, 12:40 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
I was doing 70 in a 50 mph zone today passing lots of cars that were doing about 60. I blew right past a state trooper stationed by the road looking for speeders with a radar gun. He did nothing. I figured he was just letting me have some fun in my vert, harming no one. He probably likes Vettes himself. In Massachusetts no less.
Think again...I'll bet he was doing other things at that moment, and I'm pretty sure one of them was not thinking "let the vette vert have some fun"

Quick Reply: Got a ticket yesterday