Sponsored by:

Do you text and drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by joewom
Office work. Sometimes just need a break from it.
About 25 years ago, the most popular guy where I worked was the sysadmin who set up a Usenet feed on one of the corporate servers...
Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by joewom
Office work. Sometimes just need a break from it.
Just kidding ya... come on buddy it's down hill now... have a great weekend
Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

No,too busy watching burnout videos
Old 05-01-2015, 04:44 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by donald4972
Every day in the news, somewhere in our country, we find a terrible accident caused by someone texting or talking (distracted) on cell phones.
And if they are not 'all' dead, we see people standing around the scene, crying hysterically, and apologizing tearfully, saying 'I didn't mean to', or something like that.
Or, later, in front of a judge we see them saying they are so sorry for what they did.....

As a society, we must state forcefully; that 'we do NOT, and will NOT accept their apology any longer. We will lock them up in a penitentiary for years, for killing our loved ones. They will never ever be issued a drivers license again, should they ever get out of prison. No more apologies accepted!!! This, can no longer be called 'an accident', but must be called what it is, willfull homicide.

It took MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) a generation to awaken the American people to the fact that drunk driving was not funny, or cool, or manly! To make people aware of the carnage on our highways caused by 'good old boys' who'd been at the bar, too long, teens, and others being irresponsible on our highways
But finally, society woke up, and started making penalties stiffer (one could argue not tough enough, yet). And no one I know, any longer thinks drunk driving is acceptable behavior. I"m old enough to remember when that was not the case.

This whole texting (and talking while driving) thing needs to stop. It is not a constitutional right, to endanger my loved ones (or yours) on the highways of America!!! The science is in, it is irrefutable, that these distractions (talking and texting on smart phones) are killing Americans and others every day.
In my career (41 years) as a Locomotive Engineer, we were drilled and trained, over and over about the science of being 'distracted' while operating America's freight trains. They know that 'distracted' impairs judgement and decision making and situational awareness; just the same as fatigued or drunken drivers/operators. All that science applies to drivers of cars, busses, planes, trucks,river barges, etc.

The facts are; the earth is not flat, and distracted driving kills people!!!

I have seen this carnage, first hand and close up; and there are NO apologies that should be accepted for this, any longer.

Don
I agree with this, talking or texting penalties should be huge.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by beboggled
Only at red lights.
You mean one of those people that only play with their phone at red lights and then then those behind you have to honk their horn at you when the light turns green because your not paying attention and then usually manage to hold up traffic just long enough that only a few make it through the intersection before the light turns red again.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

NO. Frankly I don't understand how it's physically possible to steer the car and shift while not looking where you are going??
Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
NO. Frankly I don't understand how it's physically possible to steer the car and shift while not looking where you are going??
It is perfectly possible to steer the car and shift, and people DIE everyday because they have NO clue where they are going....
Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Texting while driving

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
50 y/o and admittedly, sad to say... but still do...
You are an idiot.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:34 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donald4972
Every day in the news, somewhere in our country, we find a terrible accident caused by someone texting or talking (distracted) on cell phones.
And if they are not 'all' dead, we see people standing around the scene, crying hysterically, and apologizing tearfully, saying 'I didn't mean to', or something like that.
Or, later, in front of a judge we see them saying they are so sorry for what they did.....

As a society, we must state forcefully; that 'we do NOT, and will NOT accept their apology any longer. We will lock them up in a penitentiary for years, for killing our loved ones. They will never ever be issued a drivers license again, should they ever get out of prison. No more apologies accepted!!! This, can no longer be called 'an accident', but must be called what it is, willfull homicide.

It took MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) a generation to awaken the American people to the fact that drunk driving was not funny, or cool, or manly! To make people aware of the carnage on our highways caused by 'good old boys' who'd been at the bar, too long, teens, and others being irresponsible on our highways
But finally, society woke up, and started making penalties stiffer (one could argue not tough enough, yet). And no one I know, any longer thinks drunk driving is acceptable behavior. I"m old enough to remember when that was not the case.

This whole texting (and talking while driving) thing needs to stop. It is not a constitutional right, to endanger my loved ones (or yours) on the highways of America!!! The science is in, it is irrefutable, that these distractions (talking and texting on smart phones) are killing Americans and others every day.
In my career (41 years) as a Locomotive Engineer, we were drilled and trained, over and over about the science of being 'distracted' while operating America's freight trains. They know that 'distracted' impairs judgement and decision making and situational awareness; just the same as fatigued or drunken drivers/operators. All that science applies to drivers of cars, busses, planes, trucks,river barges, etc.

The facts are; the earth is not flat, and distracted driving kills people!!!

I have seen this carnage, first hand and close up; and there are NO apologies that should be accepted for this, any longer.

Don
You are correct sir, On November 1st 1985 my 15 year old son Davey was hit and killed by a G.D. drunk driver! You never get over this ,ever! People who text while driving are morons who do not think of the lives they can ruin in a split second! Just plain stupidity.
Dave
Old 05-02-2015, 07:41 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by JEH03Vette
Never have, never will.

Up until very recently, I didn't even carry a cell phone, and now that I do, it's turned off. It's only for an emergency.....
Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Up until very recently, I didn't even carry a cell phone, and now that I do, it's turned off. It's only for an emergency.....
That's me. I pay about 20 bucks a year. Not really a bargain because I probably made 3 calls on it last year.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:30 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JR-01
That's me. I pay about 20 bucks a year. Not really a bargain because I probably made 3 calls on it last year.

I just got one of those "Trac-Phones", and it's something like that. I know it's sort of a waste, but if it "saves my bacon" at least once, it's worth it.

My wife is a teacher, and used to work in the ghetto. Right after we got married, in 1990, my employer hooked up with Verizon, to offer us employees a discount deal on cell phones. I got the cheapest plan I could get, so she at least had something to use in case of emergency. She's had that phone for almost 25 years, and I think it's gotten used maybe once-twice a year, all those years. BUT, as I said, if it saves her butt, it's well worth it.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Dodoz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only at red lights. And no, I don't hold up traffic when the light turns green With some minimal awareness, you'll realize when the light is about to change in a few seconds, so I get ready.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Only at Red Lights ? Apparently you've never been behind someone at the light playing with their phone or doing what ever else they might be doing to distract them. I have and it is aggravating to say the least. Minimal awareness is not enough when driving in traffic, Stopped at a red light or not.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:55 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It should be mandatory for everyone who is busted for texting while driving to attend a victims panel.
Fred
Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by rjwz28
For the sarcasm-impaired among us... here's your sign

Old 05-02-2015, 12:13 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by memmer
It should be mandatory for everyone who is busted for texting while driving to attend a victims panel.
Fred

And; then they should go directly to jail !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Do you text and drive?

Old 05-02-2015, 12:25 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tefer
Only at Red Lights ? Apparently you've never been behind someone at the light playing with their phone or doing what ever else they might be doing to distract them. I have and it is aggravating to say the least. Minimal awareness is not enough when driving in traffic, Stopped at a red light or not.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:38 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

What a heart-breaking story from a survivor. 5:47 - 7:00 broke me up.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:39 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It depends on driving skills. Some people have such low skills they should not be allowed to drive at all. Others can multitask and still drive well. I spend all day on the road and see it all. That is why is is almost always young drives who are in these texting crashes. They have no driving skills yet. I will never send a text but may read a short one. I can talk on my hands free device no problem. I can eat and drive. Not every driver is the same. Look how many people come up an on ramp and don't look at traffic until they must merge. They don't even know my huge truck is right next to them and then they slam on the brakes to get behind me. Those drivers are in my opinion more dangerous than a skilled driver on the phone or reading a short text. I don't think anyone is skilled enough to send a text while driving. Also any text over 2 or 3 words is too long to read. But you look at mirrors and gauges longer than that. Or look at the radio or GPS longer than that. And low skill drivers crash doing that. I think part of the reason you see cops ignoring people holding their phones is they are otherwise driving well. They are saving their time to stop someone they think is a risk. They must use their judgement in those cases. I never had a problem talking on a hand held phone but now it is not legal so I don't do it. Also one must choose to do or not do based on traffic conditions. Some are safe some are not. Common sense is not being used by either side in this debate. The girl who read the one word text and crashed and died had some other factor involved. That takes less time then checking a mirror long enough to know what is there. That was not the main cause of that crash. Just the one they knew about.

Quick Reply: Do you text and drive?