Sponsored by:

[Z06] P0102C Code after heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P0102C Code after heavy rain

Every time I leave my car at the airport and it rains heavily I get sudden loss of acceleration at half to wide open throttle. I know the code is for the MAF sensor. I have an Airaid CAI and have tightened all the connectors. I have also checked the MAF connector and taped it up to try and stop moisture getting in. After about 24 hours the symptoms go away.
The car only has 14,000 miles and when I put the CAI on everything was like new, including the MAF sensor. Any idea what is causing this? When the car is home this never happens since I don't tend to go out in the rain and it is garaged. It has happened three times now, with about 3 months between each event, always after the car has sat outside during very heavy rains.
Thanks in advance.
Andrew
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

Originally Posted by asjwalsh
Every time I leave my car at the airport and it rains heavily I get sudden loss of acceleration at half to wide open throttle. I know the code is for the MAF sensor. I have an Airaid CAI and have tightened all the connectors. I have also checked the MAF connector and taped it up to try and stop moisture getting in. After about 24 hours the symptoms go away.
The car only has 14,000 miles and when I put the CAI on everything was like new, including the MAF sensor. Any idea what is causing this? When the car is home this never happens since I don't tend to go out in the rain and it is garaged. It has happened three times now, with about 3 months between each event, always after the car has sat outside during very heavy rains.
Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Anybody? Surely someone has experienced this before?
Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

So for the sake of those who may have a similar problem, especially after fitting a CAI (Airaid in this case) here was the problem.

The wiring harness that plugs into the connector for the MAF may have been getting damp and threw the code to start with. I dried it out and wrapped tape around it, and I also tightened all the band clamps because the code can also mean an air leak around the intake.
I was surprised how easy it was to tighten the clamps. About three months later it happened again, but since I had already wrapped the connector I checked the band clamps and was again surprised how loose they were. I tightened them again, all was well until about three months later, coincidentally after heavy rain and sitting for a few days outside. I went through my usual tightening exercise but decided to post on here and call Airaid. They suggested removing the CAI to see what was going on. They even thought I may have been distorting the tubing by tightening too much.

And they were right! The main plastic moulding had distorted significantly under the band clamps at both ends, resulting in no seal and a P0102 code.

The good news is they are sending me a new molding at no charge. They do have excellent customer service

Get notified of new replies

To P0102C Code after heavy rain

Quick Reply: [Z06] P0102C Code after heavy rain