Sponsored by:

97-2000 worthless ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:48 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Bought my c5 99 coupe in Oct 2014 and happier than a bug in a rug.
Corvette Forum has saved me so much money I became a paid supporter.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:00 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
He should pay you to take it. They are less than worthless. I've been trying to give mine away but even the salvage yard looked at it and said "we don't buy pre 2001's but bring it down to the docks and see if a ship owner needs a new anchor". I brought it there and they didn't want it either....somethin about the composite body being too light and buoyant. So I drove it back and parked it in the garage. Someday I will find a place that will take it.

My 67 didn't have operable traction control or ABS and I yet someone was willing to drive that safety nightmare home after shelling out over $30k The Vett is worth market value less $2k and if my EBCM ever wen't that's what I'd be asking for it when the time came to sell. Oh and last week there was a working 13,000 mile V code on Ebay for $1000.

Hope mine never goes out, but if it does, I'll drive it without ABS and TC. Just don't understand the hysteria around the EBCM issue.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:16 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Well it’s pretty obvious that most will figure out that once the ECBM does go out it does not make the car worthless or un-driveable. However, some will see it as a reason to discount the cars worth, though they will also over estimate the amount that should be discounted. On the other hand there will be more and more of the 97 to 00 C5’s with a bad ECBM eventually, and there will also be less and less used ECBM’s to go around or ones without an exorbitant price tag. Then hopefully some bright entrepreneur will see a market and manufacture a relatively affordable solution to the issue. In the mean time I will continue to drive my worthless 2000 coupe without ABS and TC, as were the cars I learned to drive in so many years ago.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Bud Doggin
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my second 98. I've never had a problem. If I ever do, I will buy a used ECBM and go drive.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

I drive all winter long in cars that have abs and tc and never have them engage. Why do I need it in the summer in a car I drive 99.9% of the time on dry surfaces. This is some thing that if the car came with out nobody would miss.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 AM
99torchredlb
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
Absolutely worthless except for spare parts. They should all be parked and cannibalized. Never pay more than salvage value. All that said I had a helluva good time driving mine today and after 15 years on the road the ecbm still works, go figure
would not sell mine..........better looking than a C6 or C7
Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 PM
AC1074
Intermediate

Question. What exactly causes the EBCM to go out in the first place and why are the 94's to 00's doomed if the ebcm goes out?? ABS fixer offers a restore service for 01-04s but it just seems silly there is no fix for the early C 5s.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 99torchredlb
would not sell mine..........better looking than a C6 or C7
I have a new C7 but I agree with you. That's why I just picked up my favorite Vette, a 1999 convertible. As a newbie in the C5 forums
what are my chances that I'll have this EBCM problem? Seems like everyone has it eventually. And is there a way to eliminate the DIC messages if you do get the problem? Thanx.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:59 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GA
Well I also have a 99, love the car but if I bought one with EBCM problems, I'd take $4000.00 right off the top. If the car was nice enough I'd probably try and fix it though. My car had some electrical gremlins when I bought it, and got it all fixed up. If I would have taken it to the dealer, no telling what it would have cost to fix it.

I wouldn't discount my car just because it's a 99, but I don't know if I'd buy another either, knowing what I know now.

Keep checking Ebay they're on their cheaper than that. Might have to wait a while to get one. The price has when through the roof for them now. Does the car have active handling? If it does, they're more money, sometimes double.
Yeh, it's got active handling and yes it's a nice car, headers, cat back, blackwing, 3.15's, dyno tune etc... The ebcm with the "V" is the one it needs and it is "BIG Bucks" most every where.
P.S. To every body out there, I am not "ragging" on c-5's or any Corvettes! I've owned seventeen Corvettes over the last 52 years of having a drivers license. Some were street cars and some were "drag racers" and I loved them all. My concern is the car failing inspection because of the stupid codes. Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited by C5Wolfe; 04-05-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Torch
I would not pay more than $6K for it. 10K is nuts for the ebcm out.

I think $6k is crazy low for a 99 with 69k miles even with a bad EBCM.

Have you looked in the low buck C5 thread ? People are paying more than $6k for cars with twice the mileage and bad EBCMs.

Frankly I doubt I would even miss TC and ABS. If mine ever goes, I'll probably pull the fuses and forget about it.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Ramsiec5
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Older GTS Vipers didn't have TC or ABS, they can kill you quick but still a great vehicle.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

used car advice.......well .....you could use this major non function as a lever to grind the price, but then I understand the seller is a friend, and nobody treats friends like business only , I can get new ones, unless you are very money centric.

I think the major exposure is the steering position sensor , but check the year. Some years are available , but if you have a looser, it's part out city next stop. GM holds the license on the circuits, which have value, so won't release them or let them be infringed upon, but doesn't see a profit in another run of these parts.

I don't consider almost 70, 000 miles low. I bought my 03 with milage in the high 60, 000 and it adds up fast.

As you can see the market is already drawing a distinction between the desirable and less so. If I were buying and concerned about depreciation , I would want to be on the more desirable/profitable side of this easily identifiable trend.

P.S. I saw a new stingray last night, looked pretty good in the dark, more like a c5 than a C6.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:35 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Ive seen forum venders here selling ebcm for 650 to 995. Not too complicated to install. Ive been driving my 2000 with the dreaded 1255 code of death with no issues.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:48 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by C5Wolfe
Yeh, it's got active handling and yes it's a nice car, headers, cat back, blackwing, 3.15's, dyno tune etc... The ebcm with the "V" is the one it needs and it is "BIG Bucks" most every where.
P.S. To every body out there, I am not "ragging" on c-5's or any Corvettes! I've owned seventeen Corvettes over the last 52 years of having a drivers license. Some were street cars and some were "drag racers" and I loved them all. My concern is the car failing inspection because of the stupid codes. Thanks for the advice though.
The car is probably worth 10 grand then maybe more. There is a couple on Ebay righ now less than 2 grand. May not be the Ebcm though. Have you pulled the codes? Might be a wheel sensor or even just a wire. Does the other guy have to get it inspected?
Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't see the problem. Mine went out in my 99. Can find a EBCM all the time from 400 to 900. V code or M code. Easy to replace. Have had much more expensive repairs.

Some of these posts on this issue Crack me up.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by AC1074
Question. What exactly causes the EBCM to go out in the first place and why are the 94's to 00's doomed if the ebcm goes out?? ABS fixer offers a restore service for 01-04s but it just seems silly there is no fix for the early C 5s.
Some of them have solder connections that fail. the PC board is coated in epoxy that makes the repair difficult (impossible) in most cases without destroying the board the components are mounted on. Later model (2001 and up) don't have that epoxy and can often be repaired.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:45 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I sometimes wish I had saved the money and bought an older car. If I lost the EBCM, I'd just see if I could find someone to program the warnings off the dash and live with it. I've owned plenty of high performance cars that didn't have ABS or traction control, and I've lived to tell the tale. Hell, for when I drive my C5, TC and ABS rarely kick in anyway. Try to negotiate the best deal you can using the EBCM as leverage and enjoy the car for years to come.

Get notified of new replies

To 97-2000 worthless ???

Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Mike Beck
Racer

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
I drive all winter long in cars that have abs and tc and never have them engage. Why do I need it in the summer in a car I drive 99.9% of the time on dry surfaces. This is some thing that if the car came with out nobody would miss.
Exactly! Maybe I should start searching for a blue car with a black top and a bad EBCM. Maybe can get a super deal and let the wife have the 2002 'Vert for herself..................

I drove cars forever without those "nannies", certainly don't need them in a good weather only car.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once again, It's not that I can't drive a car with out traction control/active handling "nanny" stuff. It was the first thing I turned off when I got in the c-5's I've owned! I have built and driven 9 and 10 second street cars in the past. My concern is the car not passing some stupid inspection with the TC/AH not working and the codes showing.
My "55" Chevy that I drive is "Quicker" than any of the c-5's [3] I have owned and does have a major traction problem but I handle it just fine. It however, is exempt from state inspections and emission testing as it's an antique
Thanks again for the replies. Dave
Old 04-06-2015, 12:22 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Look to see if you have have the codes turned-off by someone with a Tech-II or something?

Quick Reply: 97-2000 worthless ???