I am not looking forward to inheriting my dads c5

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:31 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am not looking forward to inheriting my dads c5

Posting for my retired father's 2000 pewter c5

What a fun pain in the *** this car has been since dad bought his dream/nightmare car brand new. LOVE/HATE is an understatement

I know this a common problem but, what a predictably money sucking crap shoot to actually figure out basic problems for your local mechanic from this electronic disaster of a car. $500 every time there is a misdiagnosis of the cause. Owning this car is similar to lousy healthcare not being able to fight cancer.

I do not dream of trading in for a new stingray , it just has to be even worse to own. I'd rather have an old 914 with no electronics.

ANYWAY. SO IT RANDOMLY STARTS.

Ignition assembly was replaced. NOPE $500

The clutch switch was disconnected by the mechanic & for legal reasons jumpered by me to bypass the switch. NOPE, DIDN'T WORK

Battery was replaced NOPE.

Occurs using either key fob

No visibly worn wires anywhere.

What other less than $500 guesses are there ?

I have heard of telescoping steering wheels might be a culprit.

Since this is random, being prepared to read the codes when the problem occurs isn't really an option.

This is my dad's last cool car on limited retirement funds, help. The c5 could have been a much more reliable car & anything after it should be Chevy...

Thanks.

Last edited by webteamsix; 03-15-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems with his car. I have owned my car for 17 years, it has been one of the best car I have owned. I never had it back to the dealer for warranty work. Yes there were recalls but that was it. They are not perfect but mine has been real good!!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Man I hate to hear about all the issues, I also own a 2000 pewter C5 FRC, it's been nothing but a joy to own, these forums will help to save a lot of money especially when it comes to diagnosing electrical issues.

I would start by checking all of your grounds to start and then do some searching here for the many threads dealing with electrical issues.

Also where are yall located, has the car ever been exposed to flood waters are anything like that

Hope things get better for yall

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 03-15-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:59 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of the troubles.

I do question your motives. Your post comes off as less, "help", and more C5 bashing with a heathy dose of whining.

Perhaps you should sell it and move on to something more your style. As you pointed out the 914 would be a great fit.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:04 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

Originally Posted by XotiK ZO6
Sorry to hear of the troubles.

I do question your motives. Your post comes off as less, "help", and more C5 bashing with a heathy dose of whining.

Perhaps you should sell it and move on to something more your style. As you pointed out the 914 would be a great fit.
love/hate thanks for the advice with no positive reply for a possible solution.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
Sorry to hear about the problems with his car. I have owned my car for 17 years, it has been one of the best car I have owned. I never had it back to the dealer for warranty work. Yes there were recalls but that was it. They are not perfect but mine has been real good!!
Its been in since purchase for column lock

overheating

the usual recalls

The car is mechanically fine now but, the electronic guess work is getting tiresome & expensive,
Old 03-15-2015, 03:11 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

I don't mean to be rude but I think the problem would be your mechanic rather then the car.

The mechanic should eat at least the labour part of the mis-diagnosis.

I would walk away from a mechanic who kept mis-diagnosing and didn't take responsibility for the wrong disgnosis.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:24 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
I don't mean to be rude but I think the problem would be your mechanic rather then the car.

I would walk away from a mechanic who kept mis-diagnosing and didn't take responsibility for the wrong disgnosis.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by webteamsix
Since this is random, being prepared to read the codes when the problem occurs isn't really an option.
Why is that? it's two buttons on your dash board. press them when it doesn't start, your dashboard gives you the codes.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

This link seems helpful

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rt-issues.html
Old 03-15-2015, 03:46 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

going to try this hack next

7. Check the Theft Deterent Relay *TDR relay which is GM part number# 12177233 or *located above the BCM in the same location. The easiest method to check this is to remove the relay and jump between the purple and red wires on the connector, If the car starts with a jumper in place you need a new relay !
This relay is located right above the BCM in the pass. side footwell. It has 4 wires attached to it:

Coil side:
Yellow - +12v from ignition switch during starting.
Yellow/black stripe - Ground signal supplied by BCM.
Note this will only show continuity to ground during starting (assuming no theft protection is occurring...the BCM has the ability to prevent starting by not supplying this ground signal).
Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Why is that? it's two buttons on your dash board. press them when it doesn't start, your dashboard gives you the codes.
it occurs it's when the old man actually needs to be somewhere & getting the car started by random pushing of buttons is faster for him than sitting in a parking lot writing down codes he has no idea what they mean
Old 03-15-2015, 03:55 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

sorry to hear about all your issue's with your vette...sounds like to me your mechanic does not have the slightest of a clue how to work on vette's let alone cars in general..i would learn how to do it myself or find someone else with reference's to work on your vette...i have a 2003 Z06 and it has given me very few issue's that were the car's fault
Old 03-15-2015, 03:55 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

Originally Posted by 1Willy1

we live in the middle of nowhere, it's old school billy joe jim bob or the chevy dealer. The dealer is a guaranteed $1000 + con job

The local mechanic didn't charge for the jumper hack try 1st.

The next guess is going to cost something
Old 03-15-2015, 04:01 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

Originally Posted by momo20
sorry to hear about all your issue's with your vette...sounds like to me your mechanic does not have the slightest of a clue how to work on vette's let alone cars in general..i would learn how to do it myself or find someone else with reference's to work on your vette...i have a 2003 Z06 and it has given me very few issue's that were the car's fault
One problem here is only chevy dealers have the acutal code reading equipment that local mechanics can't afford to purchase if they are even released for purchase.

The mechanic knows what he is doing but, doesn't have the modern tools with patched software to get it right the first time or even second time depending on how many relays are playing musical chairs.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:06 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a lot of sympathy - luckily my problems were all under warranty. Suffice to say, for the 3+ years, the service receptionist at the big Corvette dealer I bought it from and I, became very good friends. That happens where you are in pretty much every month. In fact I looked pretty hard at my then state's lemon laws, as they really did not seem to be able to fix it - random electrical faults all the time.

Finally they put a new BCM into it, and voila! most issues went away. A reflash fixed the gas gauge to zero issue, and things calmed down. It's been OK (sort of) since. I say sort of, because even though the mileage is not high (75k), it's needed the usual fixes - both door mirrors sagged, HVAC display bit the dust, driver's door module needs replacing as I speak, as the door switches don't work any more. And the driver's seat plastic trim broke up. And no, I am not a "big boy".

It does not help that my wife has has Subarus for the past 20 years. In total we have had to go back to the Subaru dealer for repair 3 times over that period. The only work (outside of normal maintenance) needed on her now almost 10 year old Legacy (with more miles on than the C5) has been headlight bulbs and a new battery. That's how all cars should be, IMHO.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:10 PM
webteamsix
Cruising

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I have a lot os sympathy - luckily my problems were all under warranty. Suffice to say, for the 3+ years, the service receptionist at the big Corvette dealer I bought it from and I, became very good friends. That happens where you are in pretty much every month. In fact I looked pretty hard at my then state's lemon laws, as they really did not seem to be able to fix it - random electrical faults all the time.

Finally they put a new BCM into it, and voila! most issues went away. A reflash fixed the gauge to zero issue, and things calmed down. It's been OK (sort of) since. I say sort of, because even though the mileage is not high (75k), it's needed the usual fixes - both door mirrors sagged, HVAC display bit the dust, driver's door module needs replacing as I speak, as the door switches don't work any more. And the driver's seat plastic trim broke up. And no, I am not a "big boy".

It does not help that my wife has has Subarus for the past 20 years. In total we have had to go back to the Subaru dealer for repair 3 times over that period. The only work (outside of normal maintenance) needed on her now almost 10 year old Legacy has been headlight bulbs and a new battery. That's how all cars should be, IMHO.
Thanks for that. This car also has the zero gas gauge issue.

I doubt this car will pass inspection next time around without a few thousand spent on relays or wiring faults,

BCM is on the list next I think

Get notified of new replies

To I am not looking forward to inheriting my dads c5

Old 03-15-2015, 04:23 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Seriously, a 914?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:26 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,233 Likes on 2,310 Posts

I've read the whole thread and I still don't know what issues you have. One thing about the codes, you don't have to read them when you are having the problem. They will store as history codes and you can still see what the problem was. I'd clear all the codes and then next time you have whatever issue it is you're having, pull the codes and post them here. I bet you'll find there's not much that it would take to fix it.

PS Having the dealer work on the column lock issue is not the way to resolve it.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:47 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Default 914 or Vette

I owned a 914. Best thing that happened.to it was that it burned to the ground! Unfortunately my wife and I were in it at the time! The fire was the result of a manufacturer's defect.

It was a terrible car. My Corvette is better in every possible way and is way easier to fix.

There is no comparison. Maybe I got a bad 914. Maybe too your dad just got a bad Corvette.

Have to say I would be grateful for any car I inherited from my dad!

Quick Reply: I am not looking forward to inheriting my dads c5