C5 Vert vs Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 AM
trewyn15
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C5 Vert vs Z06

Hey all..

I am looking at buying a C5 to build.. I want to build a C5 as it's what my dad had before me and I have some cool memories in it, so I'm not looking to sway over to a C6 or anything..

I want to build it pretty much from the ground up, full suspension, full engine build.. either an all engine 500 horse build or a turbo build.

Either way, just about everything on this car is going to be changed.

Are there any things that should be known between the two?

I know a Z06 is a better starting platform, but I plan on touching quite a bit of the car and I like the thought of a fast convertible car.

I currently have a WS6 and the t-tops off and cruising is a great feel, so I kind of want a vert now.

Any input on things to watch out for or pros and cons of either for this type of build is appreciated!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

If you decide to build a fast Vert, install a real roll bar !! Jus' Say'n !
Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If you are doing that much then your choice should only be determined by if you really want a convertible. I bought mine only because it gave my a color combination I liked.

You might like my C5 story:

Am 65, retired 4 years ago and here is my C5 retirement story:

Background, I had/still have a number of other classic high performance cars prior and following retirement.

My job required about a 60 mile round trip. Was using a Crown Victoria that was getting really ragged out. Headliner issues, torn seat, squeaks, high mileage, etc. The wife called it a Clampett car for those who remember the Beverly Hillbillies. She would not ride in it. She said I needed to sell it and get a nice reliable car (which it actually had been). I told her I was retiring soon and I would dump it then. With my truck and the other 6 cars I had I told her I was not sure I would need a daily driver car. Well, as things happen, a friend with a car lot called me and said his banker had asked him to sell his Corvette so he could buy his daughter a high school car. He said I needed to look at it, so I did. I have worked on several C5s for friends (oil changes, fixing electrical issues, etc.) and always liked them but could not justify getting one with all my other cars. However when I saw it I told him if it drove like it looked and if it checked out once I inspected it in the garage that I would keep it. It was a 2001 Navy Blue convertible with Light Oak top and interior, garage kept, and mint. I could not resist the color combination. Well, I drive home and the wife asks " Is that a Corvette?". I said "yes". She asked "did you buy it?". I said "you told me to get a nice reliable car". She now tells her girlfriends to make sure you are more specific when you give your husband directions. It has been a really fun car. Never would have bought it except for the color combination, just stunning.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Navy with the tan top is a beautiful combo for a convertible.

I owned a convertible car before. They are fun but less secure. Mine was broken into twice. Make sure you have a garage and don't park in dicey areas.

I love the Z06's looks but test drove some LS1 cars and thought it had plenty of power. I thought a targa coupe is a nice compromise. I had a t-top C3 a long time ago, and didn't want to give up the open air feeling.

Verts are great fun if it's not your daily driver. Go with your gut. But yeah, if you ever planned to track the car, I think a lot of places are really picky about safety requirements on fast convertibles. Probably would need a roll bar etc.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 PM
trewyn15
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
If you decide to build a fast Vert, install a real roll bar !! Jus' Say'n !
I will definitely do that, do they have any that aren't just plain powdercoated steel?

Originally Posted by dadaroo
If you are doing that much then your choice should only be determined by if you really want a convertible. I bought mine only because it gave my a color combination I liked.

You might like my C5 story:

Am 65, retired 4 years ago and here is my C5 retirement story:

Background, I had/still have a number of other classic high performance cars prior and following retirement.

My job required about a 60 mile round trip. Was using a Crown Victoria that was getting really ragged out. Headliner issues, torn seat, squeaks, high mileage, etc. The wife called it a Clampett car for those who remember the Beverly Hillbillies. She would not ride in it. She said I needed to sell it and get a nice reliable car (which it actually had been). I told her I was retiring soon and I would dump it then. With my truck and the other 6 cars I had I told her I was not sure I would need a daily driver car. Well, as things happen, a friend with a car lot called me and said his banker had asked him to sell his Corvette so he could buy his daughter a high school car. He said I needed to look at it, so I did. I have worked on several C5s for friends (oil changes, fixing electrical issues, etc.) and always liked them but could not justify getting one with all my other cars. However when I saw it I told him if it drove like it looked and if it checked out once I inspected it in the garage that I would keep it. It was a 2001 Navy Blue convertible with Light Oak top and interior, garage kept, and mint. I could not resist the color combination. Well, I drive home and the wife asks " Is that a Corvette?". I said "yes". She asked "did you buy it?". I said "you told me to get a nice reliable car". She now tells her girlfriends to make sure you are more specific when you give your husband directions. It has been a really fun car. Never would have bought it except for the color combination, just stunning.
That's a nice story! I'm not a huge tan top fan, but on that color they're perfect!

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
Navy with the tan top is a beautiful combo for a convertible.

I owned a convertible car before. They are fun but less secure. Mine was broken into twice. Make sure you have a garage and don't park in dicey areas.

I love the Z06's looks but test drove some LS1 cars and thought it had plenty of power. I thought a targa coupe is a nice compromise. I had a t-top C3 a long time ago, and didn't want to give up the open air feeling.

Verts are great fun if it's not your daily driver. Go with your gut. But yeah, if you ever planned to track the car, I think a lot of places are really picky about safety requirements on fast convertibles. Probably would need a roll bar etc.
I have an LS1 currently, it's definitely capable, that's for sure!

I will have it as a fun street/track car, we have a small group of rivals here in my hometown and an even larger group in Milwaukee (MidWest Street Cars).. it would be fun to compete, but I agree a roll bar is 100% necessary.

To be honest.. this is the reason that I want a vert.. my dad's old silver one here, I loved that car.. he then got the WS6, which I've already obtained one of:

(he still has those sunglasses lol)

Old 03-04-2015, 02:38 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had this choice 2.5 years ago and although I love the Z06 I said to myself you can always increase the performance of the vert but on nice sunny day or cool night you can't drop the top of the Z06...no brainier and chose my vert
Attached Images  

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 03-04-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Furiousone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a big 'vert guy, but I did also think about one before ultimately going with the Z06. I just think the Z06 has a more race inspired look. If the 'vert had a hard top option giving it the Z06 profile, I might have been swayed. BTW- I also have a WS6, pic below.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:46 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

You said, everything would be changed from the ground up... so why would the Z06 be a better platform? I would think a good straight body, 6 speed vert that you can buy as cheap as possible would be the better platform... your changing it all anyway. (unless you want to give me your Z06 take off parts)
Have fun with your search... let us know what you decide on and would love to see your build!
I love my girl topless...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 03-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a built FAST vert. My build is close to your desired # without supercharger,turbo or NOS, so it can be done. There is nothing better than rolling your top down and listening to your creation. Just pop in a stroker, get some 799 heads off a truck and send them to AI and get a nice steetable cam, headers and you are on your way to some serious power and 10 second quarter mile times.

Have fun in what ever you do and enjoy your build, i enjoyed mine.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Too personal. Either you want a vert or you don't. Never had one, don't ever plan on having one, so I guess I'll say Z.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing quite like cruising around with 500+ hp in a vert. I love it.

No real big downsides to the Vert. You'll have to get a rollbar if you want to do a lot of track runs, and it does have a bit more drag than a Z06, but the vert weighs the same as a coupe, and putting the top down is a MUCH better experience than taking off the targa top.

If the weather isn't nice enough for me to put the top down, I rarely drive the C5
Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

What is all this business about either or? There isn't any rule that says you can't have both!!

Old 03-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

They're cheap enough now, get one of each then decide which to hop up.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:17 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Vert !
Old 03-04-2015, 11:04 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

I recommend both...but ours are his and hers. Can't go wrong with the NBM even with a black top. Mine was originally Lt Oak but the PO changed it...Top down is the best...we spend more time in her vert than my coupe...

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:09 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Some racing events do not allow convertibles. There is a half mile event here in texas that allows c6 verts but not c5 verts. They require a roll bar in the 6 but no 5's at all.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F&Yb0dluvr
Had this choice 2.5 years ago and although I love the Z06 I said to myself you can always increase the performance of the vert but on nice sunny day or cool night you can't drop the top of the Z06...no brainier and chose my vert
I agree 100%. Do not see the appeal of the ZO6. Would rather just get a Convertible and work on the engine and exhaust if power is a concern. Nothing compares to dropping the top on a nice day. Never thought I would love it so much, nothing compares.

I have a 2001 Speedway White with a black top. Would love it to be Nassau Blue or Charcoal Gray with the black top, but at least it's an ultra-clean convertible.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Vert vs Z06

Old 03-04-2015, 11:53 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

You want the vert, it seems obvious. No, it will never be faster than an equally built z06, but it will always be faster than an equally built ws6.
I love the z06 and am not a vert fan on any car, but you aren't me.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 AM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1999 Vert. Triple Black.
LSX 454
Brodix LS7 Stage 2 ported heads by WCCH
Custom grind cam
Halltech CF intake
FAST LSXR 102 intake manifold
AR Headers
Braced transaxle
Welded in roll bar
etc.

Runs on E85 putting down 630ish all motor
Set up for a 200 shot of N2O

Who says a vert cant be insane?

Last edited by Lpe403; 03-05-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:49 AM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Build a Vert, there are tons of fast Z's

Quick Reply: C5 Vert vs Z06