Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Vert vs Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:33 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just FYI my 01' 6speed convertible says 3146 on my registration, I think that's pretty light considering its a 1SC with every option except ride control. It also has non runflat Michelin pilot sports with no tps and c6 z06 shocks and sways all around a CAI and a Mangaflow x and catback so it's even lighter then stock....

eDIT: then again maybe my heavy chrome Z06 wheels even every thing out
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM
speedmaster64
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

For me the targa top offered the best of both worlds.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM
trewyn15
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F&Yb0dluvr
Just FYI my 01' 6speed convertible says 3146 on my registration, I think that's pretty light considering its a 1SC with every option except ride control. It also has non runflat Michelin pilot sports with no tps and c6 z06 shocks and sways all around a CAI and a Mangaflow x and catback so it's even lighter then stock....

eDIT: then again maybe my heavy chrome Z06 wheels even every thing out
Are all of those pretty much bolt on replacements?

Also, if I plan on doing suspension, is there any purpose of looking for the ride control?

Originally Posted by speedmaster64
For me the targa top offered the best of both worlds.
Targa top doesn't fix the fact that I still have to get out, take care of the top and pull it off completely... I know, not much more work than a vert, but that's one reason I don't touch my t-tops often.

Although, can't beat the look of a targa vette imo
Old 03-06-2015, 04:01 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Also, if I plan on doing suspension, is there any purpose of looking for the ride control?
NO. The adjustable ride control (option F55) is a pain in the butt if you do any sort of suspension/brakes/wheels modification, not to mention the replacement shocks are really expensive, and its a hassle to disable or remove the system.

If you're looking at a car with adjustable ride, I wouldn't turn it down, but I would definitely consider it a negative.

There will be some people who say they like it, but if you're looking to mod the car, its probably something to avoid.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:20 PM
trewyn15
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
NO. The adjustable ride control (option F55) is a pain in the butt if you do any sort of suspension/brakes/wheels modification, not to mention the replacement shocks are really expensive, and its a hassle to disable or remove the system.

If you're looking at a car with adjustable ride, I wouldn't turn it down, but I would definitely consider it a negative.

There will be some people who say they like it, but if you're looking to mod the car, its probably something to avoid.
Ahh very good to know! Probably the best info I've gathered in this thead actually

I'll avoid that at all costs then because I will be upgrading suspension.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Are all of those pretty much bolt on replacements?
My Volant CAI, C6 Z06 shocks and sways were just swapped out, my Mangaflow magnapack was swapped and welded at an exhaust shop for $100. Although it's not the first thing I would do depending on the mileage of the car my 01' had about 90kmi on it back in August and the shocks were squeaking and pretty much shot, when I changed them to the C6 Z06 stuff it felt like a new car and the handling was signifantly improved..lowered on stock bolts also..definite mods to do.

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 03-06-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:38 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Do the sensible thing, get one of each.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 AM
speedmaster64
Racer

Targa top doesn't fix the fact that I still have to get out, take care of the top and pull it off completely... I know, not much more work than a vert, but that's one reason I don't touch my t-tops often.

Although, can't beat the look of a targa vette imo
You may be right, but when I checked out verts, it seemed like a lot of latching, unlatching, lifting, tucking, closing, etc. to go from up to down. The targa takes less than a minute to remove, and two minutes to put on. More importantly, when the top is up the car feels and sounds like a coupe, and not a rattling creeking ragtop. But that's just my 2 cents brother. The convertible looks fantastic with the top DOWN!

Last edited by speedmaster64; 03-07-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:23 AM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Originally Posted by speedmaster64
You may be right, but when I checked out verts, it seemed like a lot of latching, unlatching, lifting, tucking, closing, etc. to go from up to down. The targa takes less than a minute to remove, and two minutes to put on. More importantly, when the top is up the car feels and sounds like a coupe, and not a rattling creeking ragtop. But that's just my 2 cents brother. The convertible looks fantastic with the top DOWN!
After owning both I can assure you it's definitely easier and quicker dropping the top in a C5 vert then removing the roof and storing the top in a C5 coupe, yes the Coupe is a little quieter with the roofs on but it's not by a lot and the vert is actually quieter with the tops down because there's less wind buffeting and squeaks..
Old 03-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F&Yb0dluvr
After owning both I can assure you it's definitely easier and quicker dropping the top in a C5 vert then removing the roof and storing the top in a C5 coupe, yes the Coupe is a little quieter with the roofs on but it's not by a lot and the vert is actually quieter with the tops down because there's less wind buffeting and squeaks..
With my convertible roof up, the blindspots are horrendous, plenty of noise, my tinted windows don't help a darn thing while driving it at night! With the top down I can see the world! Yes, above 60 mph using hands-free cell phone is a little difficult, but then again, I don't need to talk to anyone when I am cruising along with the radio going and rowing the gears, it is truly my way to get away from it all! I did a complete stereo installation when I bought the car so listening to music at any speed is no issue at-all, even my wife loves this car!

What does a ZO6 have over a base model? Different heads, cam, lighter exhaust, different body panels to cool the brakes better? Problem with the ZO6, it still is not a Convertible! I can do plenty of mods to my car to make it like a ZO6 if I wanted to, but I don't road race the thing, I just cruise in it to enjoy it. Already have two race cars, don't need more.

OP, do what you want to, it's your time and money, enjoy it!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 PM
speedmaster64
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Beck
With my convertible roof up, the blindspots are horrendous, plenty of noise, my tinted windows don't help a darn thing while driving it at night!
Your comment confirms why the coupe was the better choice for me. I drove an MGB in high school and with the top up I felt disconnected from my surroundings. So much so that I emded up removing it entirely one summer...but only because "it never rains in Southern California"
Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have read awhile back that c5z does use the extra chassis support that convertibles use thats why Zs tend to handle so great put a side the suspension differences. Weight wise C5s are not heavy and c5z did have to use some extra tricks to loose weight due to the extra chassis stiffness added.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll have to check them out!

Any reason you had to lower the seat?

That's a fair assessment! I kind of feel the same about WS6's, I don't like the thought of my buddies WS6 vert being fast, as opposed to a t-top car.. but again it's all preference.

I just think something about being able to be out in the elements and then deciding I want to put the top up would be something cool and different for my next car.. and I'm going to keep my WS6, so I can always go back to that for a 'hard-top' car of sorts.
Top of helmet to top of roll bar needs 2" clearance for SCCA.

Quick Reply: C5 Vert vs Z06