Sponsored by:

[Z06] Third gear power C5z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turboc5z
800 is manageable in these cars. The aerodynamics is amazing. Good tires help too...although I run track tires 12 months a year
street tires at street speeds on actual streets = 500+ hp is completely useless.

If you're an idiot street racer, sure go for it. Enjoy that ticket for 150 mph on public roads.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Chiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradley21ss
Is it me or does third gear really feel strong?

I can be running at about 4k rpm in third and floor it and man does the car pull hard.

For some reason it just feels like third gear is a beast. I wonder if its just a sweet spot for the motor. Anybody else feel the same about third gear?
You should try a c6 z on 1st ., ***** will pull all the way to 62
Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Chiff
Instructor

Originally Posted by troyguitar
street tires at street speeds on actual streets = 500+ hp is completely useless.

If you're an idiot street racer, sure go for it. Enjoy that ticket for 150 mph on public roads.
Really ? Shyt my c6 z has no problem gripping with nittos invos 345-30-19 out in the back., put a bus length on a modded 013 gt500 on a dig the other night
Old 01-14-2015, 06:00 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chiff
Really ? Shyt my c6 z has no problem gripping with nittos invos 345-30-19 out in the back., put a bus length on a modded 013 gt500 on a dig the other night
By the top of 1st gear?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Chiff
Instructor

By the top of 1st gear?
I did a quick 1-2-3 on his *** and when I looked in my rear view Mirror he was no where near me ., idk by what gear I left him but all it can say is he was never infront of me, since the moment we took off I dust his *** ., he couldn't believe I was stock and it wasn't that I got lucky cus we ran 3 times with same exact result
Old 01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

My point was that by the time you get into 2nd gear in a C6Z you're basically already beyond the legal limits. 3rd gear is go to jail territory. With cold street tires on a cold street my car spins the tires at 60 mph with 380 whp. 500+ would spin at 70, no?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Chiff
Instructor

My point was that by the time you get into 2nd gear in a C6Z you're basically already beyond the legal limits. 3rd gear is go to jail territory. With cold street tires on a cold street my car spins the tires at 60 mph with 380 whp. 500+ would spin at 70, no?
We'll by 3rd I'm already going like 90 so if anything I just hear a scritch
Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 PM
turboc5z
Advanced

Why so mad?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

well that's no fun if you never get out of 2nd and into 3rd... as far as your spinning issue it sounds like you need a better tire if you want it to stick, if you're just cruising around then it would be a waste of money... fwiw my acura will spin cold street tires when it's cold outside
Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Chiff
Instructor

Nd yes at 62 or wat ever it spins in a cold day but not crazy to the point where I feal like it's going to spin out of control., if that's the case then yu need some better street tires ., if yu drive a c5 z I recommend the Goodyear kdw street tire it grips extremely good for the price they go for ., that's what I was running on my old c5z with a cam and a few other mods and I had no issues with it gripping as long as it had good tread left
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Why so mad?
Having an opinion and being mad are not the same.

Most people have no legal use for and not enough self control (or skill) for a 600+ hp corvette. Just look at youtube and see how many people don't even belong in stock corvettes... it is NOT easy to manage 800 hp, it takes a high degree of skill which most drivers do not possess.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:08 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think my former '97 Cobra with 3.73 gears and LTs would hang with my C5Z to 50mph but it just didn't have much in 3rd gear. That was what really impressed me with the C5Z, was how hard it pulls in 3rd. This car would flat our smoke my former Cobra even tho it was fairly heavily modded and my C5Z if mostly stock.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

not enough self control (or skill) for a 600+ hp corvette.

for the most part of my life I drove supped up trucks like a corvette lol for me getting in a c5z was relaxing, I do agree though its not for every one thats for sure! I looked at a 550rwhp vert before I bought my car after the test drive I told the owner its to much for me, if it was a FRC I might have bought it but it didnt feel as tight as my z does but I didnt know the difference then.

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
I think my former '97 Cobra with 3.73 gears and LTs would hang with my C5Z to 50mph but it just didn't have much in 3rd gear. That was what really impressed me with the C5Z, was how hard it pulls in 3rd. This car would flat our smoke my former Cobra even tho it was fairly heavily modded and my C5Z if mostly stock.
i've had mustangs and z28 modded and my c5z has impressed me quite a bit and its just has bolt'on and dyno tune

Last edited by Stroker87; 01-15-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
that's a flat out lie, 600 is easily manageable... the guys saying that it isn't are either over exaggerating or using street tires that aren't designed for traction to begin with
I make right below 600 at the wheels...it's still very manageable, it's all in how you "jump on it". If I roll into the throttle it'll hold it fine, just gotta be controlled about it, but if I jump on it it'll blow them off. Most guys lack throttle control. I find my power level extremely usable.

This is a little through the city I did one early spring morning. Car had been sitting a while, so my tranny was shifting a little stiff, giving me some notchiness but...I roll on it, then at the end I jump on it...the difference is obvious...throughout most of the video it's throttle management, but I get into it at the end pretty hard.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-15-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:12 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RC000E
I make right below 600 at the wheels...it's still very manageable, it's all in how you "jump on it". If I roll into the throttle it'll hold it fine, just gotta be controlled about it, but if I jump on it it'll blow them off. Most guys lack throttle control. I find my power level extremely usable.

This is a little through the city I did one early spring morning. Car had been sitting a while, so my tranny was shifting a little stiff, giving me some notchiness but...I roll on it, then at the end I jump on it...the difference is obvious...throughout most of the video it's throttle management, but I get into it at the end pretty hard.
exactly, tires have a big deal to do with it but this is the other part of the equation... can I roast the crap out of my tires if I purposely try to?... sure, but the way I drive it gets pretty damn good traction, better than most would probably think anyway... it's the idiots that have the pedal to the floor when entering a turn then slam on the brakes when the car gets loose that need help... someone like that could crash a bone stock lt1 fbody just as easily as a fully built or blown ls vette... I am far from the best driver, I think in situations like this it's more about being responsible with the power rather than how much power the car actually makes
Old 01-15-2015, 01:32 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

it's the idiots that have the pedal to the floor when entering a turn then slam on the brakes when the car gets loose that need help

I always try to get a feel for a car before i just let them hang out, when I 1st bought my c5z I use to get a little nervous since I didnt know the car at all even though I have a hot rod pickup that runs 12's

Originally Posted by RC000E
I make right below 600 at the wheels...it's still very manageable, it's all in how you "jump on it".
very cool video! my wife is from that area the 1st time I went true that tunnel I busted out laughing nothing but hills and trees then you come out and your down town

Last edited by Stroker87; 01-15-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Stroker87

I always try to get a feel for a car before i just let them hang out, when I 1st bought my c5z I use to get a little nervous since I didnt know the car at all even though I have a hot rod pickup that runs 12's

very cool video! my wife is from that area the 1st time I went true that tunnel I busted out laughing nothing but hills and trees then you come out and your down town
Yeah, there isn't much city to hide...Pittsburgh is pretty small.

Glad my Pittsburgh days are behind me...

Get notified of new replies

To Third gear power C5z06

Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

it's the idiots that have the pedal to the floor when entering a turn then slam on the brakes when the car gets loose that need help... someone like that could crash a bone stock lt1 fbody just as easily as a fully built or blown ls vette... I am far from the best driver, I think in situations like this it's more about being responsible with the power rather than how much power the car actually makes
Yeah, the videos of these guys losing it out of parking lots and leaving cars and coffee...it's just embarrassing. I built a drift car some years back...drifting gets a bad wrap from a lot of people, but my car control and hand speed versus those old boy haters is incomparable and the drift scene has everything to do with that. It made me a far better driver.

Through much of the vid, especially in colder temps where my rears dont' perform as well either, I'm pretty conservative on the throttle. Many of those bridges are even colder, plus they have expansion joint undulations...all of which can spell snap oversteer under significant throttle. It's all about that traction circle. It's the same as jerking the wheel entering a turn...smooth is fast, abrupt movements are not. You have to stay with the envelope of the tires capability. With my car at it's power level, any mishandling of the throttle will end badly because torque, and response is instantaneous.

In the end though, it's a fantastic machine that has held me from getting a C6Z or even a C7 yet, for that matter. I can't seem to part with it. Even when I was N/A, the performance of the C5Z is just so pure and satisfying. I truly think they are better than C6Z's, from a driver perspective. I know C6Z's can put down better numbers, but a properly modded C5Z is just a fantastically balanced machine.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-15-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:27 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Third gear is pretty much magic on most road courses. At Road Atlanta with my silver Z, I used 3d and 4th 90% of the time. Third is a magic balance between letting the car dip below the 4400 rpm sweet spot and bumping into the limiter on many circuits.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:22 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yiu should feel third gear with a turbo...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Third gear power C5z06