Sponsored by:

Save the wave!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Barndog Buddha
Instructor

Location: Gurnee IL. so close to Wisc. I can smell it when they cut the cheese
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure when the wave got it's start but I feel it's been around since the first two cars finally past each other. The wave is used by countless groups from Miatas to Harleys. With the sheer number of Harleys a weekend ride can be 80% wave and 20% ride......no longer special or fun. The wave among Corvette owners IS still special. I will never forget driving my Corvette home the first time. I was on the interstate driving in the middle lane when a 63' split window coupe white with red interior (same combo as my 97') slows down next to me and I see an older gentleman wearing a tweed cap and driving gloves look over and with a big grin give me "The Wave" and then proceeds to boogie on down the road. It was awsome! I have recieved thousands of waves over the years but none of them made me feel as welcome. So if I see you rest assured I AM going to wave because whether it's your first or one thousandth wave it means we are driving a very special car, and to those who don't wave oh well it's your loss.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wave everytime, and about 95% of the time, I get a wave back. The Wave is alive and well in the Houston area. :thumbsup:
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I remember in 1966 driving my friends 58 home
from college [600 miles] every corvette waived. He was too hungover to drive so lucky me got the job.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

I wave (if i catch you in time) and get waved at, its alive and well here in the Chicago area

it is true though the C6 & C7's some times give me a flash, it does take away from the wave but it does help to notice them better
Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I think it is a great part of Corvette ownership. I always wave but am never unhappy if it is not returned. I have had a number of Viper drivers wave as well. Only one Porsche in all the years I have owned my 03. If it is a sports car/hot rod/muscle car/antique I wave.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:15 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I've had a few chicks not wave, but other than that I have gotten most waves. I waved at a C7 while I was pulled over for 72 in a 55.

I wave on my bike all the time, too. What's funny is my lady has caught me waving at Corvettes when I am driving my Silverado (my C5 is my DD).

<edit> Besides waves, I have had 2 cars flash me to warn of speed traps ahead (first was a Mercedes, the second was a Honda or something). Then last week I had a SHERIFF flash me just before I passed a city cop on the side.

I have signaled on a motorcycle to other bikes, but never thought to flash a car, but people flash Ester.

Last edited by 66dts-v; 01-07-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:54 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts
Default Wave should be in Owners Manual

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I wave every chance I get also, but in many cases the other driver does not acknowledge it. And from what I have seen, it covers all the generations of the Corvette. Sad that a tradition is in decline.

And you're right about some in the C7 section. For them it may be their first Vette and unfortunately they do not seem to have an appreciation for where the C7 came from. Hopefully with more exposure to the Vette ownership experience, their attitude will change.
Need to have the WAVE history and expectations fully explained in the Owners Manual.

ET, any contacts left at GM that can get this done?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I wave, Problem is only 1 of my fingers work!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The wave is not a Corvette thing or a biker thing. The wave had it roots in WWII. toward the end of WWII, G.I.'s coming home from both theaters had an option, to bring back a crated jeep for the cost of 50 dollars. Once back in the states, these military jeep could be easily built and they started to appear on both coasts. It was soon realized that the owners of these jeep were bothers in arms returning from the war. It started out as a salute to each other that soon became a wave. this was 1945 through the early fifties when people here in the States where buying English sports cars, Austin Healy's, Austin Sprints, MG's, Triumphs, Jaguars etc, These guys picked up on the wave and started the trend with their sports cars. IN 1953, Corvette came out and not a wave was insight. by 1954 and 55 Corvettes became the American sports cat and the Corvette wave was born... Ford, and the T-bird never adopted the wave, but the Corvette wave became a part of the landscape. I remember waving with my first Corvette in 1958. people would meet at hamburger drive-ins, Many had something called a Corvette Coral, a blocked off area where Corvette owners could park together. So the History of the Corvette wave is not proprietary but stolen from Gi's returning from the War in 1945.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-08-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:41 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They always wave here in Northern California.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I met and waved at 3 monday, none returned the wave, go figure
Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I recently bought my first-ever Corvette, I waved at every corvette I saw even before I knew about "The Wave" (as I was educated recently about it). I enjoy driving and tinkering on mine and I can only imagine that other owners feel the same and I can't help but wave whenever I see another one!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Tblaum
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the wave is alive here in the tidewater area. I've never felt like I've gotten snubbed and my wife gets a big kick out of giving the wave to all the other Vetts we see.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The wave is not a Corvette thing or a biker thing. The wave had it roots in WWII. toward the end of WWII, G.I.'s coming home from both theaters had an option, to bring back a crated jeep for the cost of 50 dollars. Once back in the states, these military jeep could be easily built and they started to appear on both coasts. It was soon realized that the owners of these jeep were bothers in arms returning from the war. It started out as a salute to each other that soon became a wave. this was 1945 through the early fifties when people here in the States where buying English sports cars, Austin Healy's, Austin Sprints, MG's, Triumphs, Jaguars etc, These guys picked up on the wave and started the trend with their sports cars. IN 1953, Corvette came out and not a wave was insight. by 1954 and 55 Corvettes became the American sports cat and the Corvette wave was born... Ford, and the T-bird never adopted the wave, but the Corvette wave became a part of the landscape. I remember waving with my first Corvette in 1958. people would meet at hamburger drive-ins, Many had something called a Corvette Coral, a blocked off area where Corvette owners could park together. So the History of the Corvette wave is not proprietary but stolen from Gi's returning from the War in 1945.
Cool history...I wasn't aware of that...thanks. I always wave if/when I see another Vette, and usually get a return acknowledgement. I'd say that "the wave" is still mostly alive and well here in Omaha.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-09-2015, 10:11 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also drive a JEEP and I get many more waves from other JEEP owners than I do vette owners. It doesn't matter what year the JEEP is.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Leftlane_1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always wave if I see you. Sometimes I get passed 2 or 3 lanes over and didnt realize they were coming up behind me.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:05 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The very first time I brought my C5 'vert home I got a wave from an old guy in a blue C5 that was stock but in prestine condition. Honestly, I was excited / shocked / happy that he waved lol considering that here in Springfield, IL people are mostly conservative

Well..... that was the last wave I ever got I have seen C5's C6's, C7's, Stingrays, etc. and they never wave. Seems like after I did some "upgrades", I mostly get mean looks

I'm not that old, but too old to worry about stuff like that anymore. Now we just enjoy driving it when the weather is nice and its just me, her, the Vette and the road ahead

Seems like the society we once knew, is gone....

Quick Reply: Save the wave!!