Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two car covers on the Vette, good idea or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Two car covers on the Vette, good idea or bad?

I was thinking of buying one of the satin covers and putting it on under my outdoor cover (Storm cover paid $299 works great but I am seeing scratches on top of my fenders). I was thinking if I added a soft satin cover it may protect my paint from scratches in windy conditions? I park outside and leave the cover on while I travel for work. Sometimes its covered for 3 or 4 weeks. I know I should just rent a garage but not many close to me so that's out.

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Allieboy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jims79
I was thinking of buying one of the satin covers and putting it on under my outdoor cover (Storm cover paid $299 works great but I am seeing scratches on top of my fenders). I was thinking if I added a soft satin cover it may protect my paint from scratches in windy conditions? I park outside and leave the cover on while I travel for work. Sometimes its covered for 3 or 4 weeks. I know I should just rent a garage but not many close to me so that's out.

Thanks
Jim
I wouldn't
Old 12-29-2014, 04:53 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

I believe you may create a moisture issue that will be harder to deal with than the scratches
Old 12-29-2014, 08:51 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 488 Likes on 313 Posts

If your car is clean when you cover it, you could try using Contact Paper and stick it to the areas that you are seeing the scratches, I started using it when I work on my car to eliminate the scratches from leaning over the fender sticks good & is easily removable. You can pre cut strips for the size you need, 18" wide roll, not sure how long but could make lots of protective sheets from it. I bought mine at HD think it was about $7.

You could also try some either Blue or Green Painters tape, I think it is probably more money but don't have to cut to size, not sure but I thinks 2" is the widest.

Not sure how either of these would do in hot weather, but would be covered.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

In outdoor conditions sometimes a cover can do more harm then good.
Just sayin from past experience
Mine is outside 375 without a cover.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,581 Likes on 667 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I've had two covers on my C5 for over 5 years now both outside and when I store it 5 months for the winter. No problem whatsoever. The top one takes the dirt and moisture and keeps the bottom one clean. Plus, you can wash the top one while still keeping the car covered with the bottom one. My car stays VERY clean and protected this way. I say do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Two car covers on the Vette, good idea or bad?

Quick Reply: Two car covers on the Vette, good idea or bad?