Sponsored by:

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar

I just got my Zaino kit in the mail. I plan on doing the clay bar and then the wax this weekend. I have read that it is best to wash the car with dawn prior to doing the clay bar... I'm Kind of wondering what the thought process behind this... Some people say it is to remove all of the wax so you have a clean slate. I agree with that statement, BUT, then you use the detail spray (apply wax) along with the clay bar. Then after clay barring the car, you would want to wash it again with dawn... Am I correct? I guess I'm big dealing this and I shouldn't be, but I don't see the purpose of washing with dawn just to wax/clay bar the car and wash with dawn again. If someone has some insite, I have open ears!!! (Besides, the dawn is cheaper than car soap... so why should I care)!!!
Also, if anyone thinks they have any additional tips tricks they would like to share about the zaino process, I'm all ears! I have watched many videos and read as much as I can... The biggest thing I get is use very very little zaino wax...
Old 11-20-2014, 10:15 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm not a big believer in using Dawn. It's a harsh cleaner ment more for cleaning stains off dishes rather than car finishes. My concern would be if used enough it will play havoc with weather striping and other rubber type seals. Having said that, you will find many who will say it's ok to use.

The clay bar process itself should be enough to remove old finishes and impurities from the paint. The detailer itself just acts as a lube to the clay. It is not a wax in itself. The lube is critical in that it prevents the clay from scratching or maring the paint surface.

The process I use is to first wash, then clay. Then wash again. After you've dried the car you can apply a polish if need be. Finally you apply a good wax or sealant. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. There is a lot of good reading on the car care section of the forum.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have been a Zaino user for more than 12 years and it works awesome for me. Your only gone to use to Dawn once, the first prep. Wash it with Dawn. Use the clay bar with Dawn soapy water. Rinse well, wash with Zaino soap your ready to go.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:01 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

I won't be posting a picture of my Corvette because it was just professionally detailed a month ago after some body damage,so that would not be a fair assessment of a diy detail job, but, below is a picture of my 02 Dakota R/T..
This pic was taken about 6 months ago when I had just one fender finished.
To begin with, dawn is the way to go for the first step of any detail.
Now, I don't use a clay bar, but something that works every bit as good, and a hell of a lot less expensive.
I found that good ole plumber's putty from the hardware store works just as well as a clay bar.
After claying (or in my case using the putty), I applied a coat of turtle wax(definitely no washing after claying) and this is the result.
The finish is as clear as a mirror.

I have never felt those designer detail products do any better than turtle wax.
I think they are a waste of money.
Bob.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

The purpose of using Dawn the first time (in theory) is to remove any non-Zaino branded products (usually waxes) from the surface. Zaino will not bond to a waxed surface.

When you begin to clay-bar with a Zaino detailer (Z6 or Z8) - those are NOT waxes. Zaino sealers (Z2, Z5, etc) are not a "waxes", but "sealants" and the entire Zaino line is compatible with itself.

I personally use Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner after Clay-bar just to be sure I have a really stripped down surface for the first layer of Z2 or Z5 when doing my bi-annual major detailing, but it should not be necessary.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

Go with what zanio recommends. When it comes to the clay bar don't make it a bigger deal then it is. After the wash with dawn rinse real well, then with the car wet with the clean rinse water go over the whole car lightly with the clay bar. The clay bar removes any contaminates in the finish. Rinse, dry and polish with the zanio. You will like the results. 16 years using zanio on my car.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm more of an Adams guy, however I do use a few Zaino products.

Since my C5 vert is a weekend driver, I usually perform one major detail per year and one minor detail per year.

On the major detail (which I just completed last week), I use the Dawn wash method to remove all wax, coatings, etc. as most of the time I use the waterless car wash method (again Adams). I also pull my polished CCW wheels and perform a wetsand and polish.

After I clay, I simply spray some waterless car wash cleaner on a MF towel and lightly wipe off any excess residue. It's not a perfect science, but it works for me.

With all of the talk on polish, wax, etc., the key for me is the paint sealant which is applied after the polish and before the wax. This is what truly protects your new, clean finish!

Pics from detail last week...

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-21-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Very nice! Would to see more pics of your garage.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:11 AM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water to remove wax build up after washing before clay bar with good results. I have never used Dawn. Adams all the way!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:52 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
I'm not a big believer in using Dawn. It's a harsh cleaner ment more for cleaning stains off dishes rather than car finishes.
FYI: After oil spills Dawn is used to bathe the wildlife & remove the sludge.

If it's safe to use on animals I doubt that it will harm your paint.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:57 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaJ
FYI: After oil spills Dawn is used to bathe the wildlife & remove the sludge.

If it's safe to use on animals I doubt that it will harm your paint.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I didn't have a clay bar but a forum member said he used plumbers putty so i used that and a quick detail for lubricant and then went back over it with chadwicks. I was pleased with the results
Old 11-22-2014, 12:13 AM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

What's with the push to use Dawn? Soapy water, or detail spray is easier as I can wipe it clean as I clay. You'll know the finish is clean when you can't feel the grit on the paint. Polish to enhance the color and wax to preserve it.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Donutz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice and great pics. I look forward to seeing how great my car will look after I do all of this. When I bought it, it had some half @SS wax job done where the guy didn't even remove half of the wax!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 AM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

What's with the push to use Dawn? Soapy water, or detail spray is easier as I can wipe it clean as I clay. You'll know the finish is clean when you can't feel the grit on the paint. Polish to enhance the color and wax to preserve it.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:44 AM
davyalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Floridasky
I have been a Zaino user for more than 12 years and it works awesome for me. Your only gone to use to Dawn once, the first prep. Wash it with Dawn. Use the clay bar with Dawn soapy water. Rinse well, wash with Zaino soap your ready to go.

Yep, you are ready to go and add 4, 5, 6 coats your preferred zaino polish to it.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:12 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

The clay bar itself will remove any wax.

Get notified of new replies

To Clay Bar

Old 11-22-2014, 05:13 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Washing with any dish soap is very abrasive. NO, NO for me.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by guido7834
The clay bar itself will remove any wax.
Think about it. The clay bar is removing contaminants that are embedded in the valleys of the paint. These are the same contaminants and valleys that wax is applied over. You can't get to the contaminants unless the way is out of the way, thus, the clay bar is removing both the wax and the contaminants. All you need is some detail spray; no need for Dawn beforehand or during the clay bar process.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:27 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 488 Likes on 313 Posts

You could always use the dawn as your lubricant for the clay bar, I have never used the detail spray for clay baring, I just use my Zaino car wash in a pump up sprayer and soak the panel I am clay baring.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar