Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for cold climate drivers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:20 PM
TRVette01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions for cold climate drivers.

I know it's not recommended but I have a situation where I may have to drive my Corvette in temperatures below freezing. For those of you who have had this experience, I have a couple of questions.

Is driving on summer performance tires, not run flats, extremely difficult and dangerous or can it be done if you let the tires warm up on the road?

Has or will the cold adversely affect the poly body panels on the car?

Thank you for your replies and recommendations.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:24 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

GM tests these cars in arctic, sub zero, weather. The car itself, won't be the problem. But the tires, yes, they could be an issue, if you have "summer" performance tires, rather that "all season" or dedicated winter tires.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

For winter driving I have all-season tires on the front of my coupe. I have to take off slowly to avoid spinning the rear wheels, but I easily maintain steering and primary braking capabilities. Maybe not ideal, but my car is a DD.

As far as body panels, there is nothing to worry about. My car sits outside year-round and has seen snow and ice without any damage.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:44 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Over the years I have driven many cars with summer tires in the Wisconsin winter. I had summer tires on my pickup for 5 years. They are worthless on ice and snow, but I really could not tell much difference on dry roads. I would think you should be fine if you go easy on the gas and cornering.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Summer compound tires do require a warm up period. Depending upon the temperature you may want to allow a 5 or 6 mile warm up...or more as the temperature drops below freezing. Do not put the pedal down on cold tires or you're asking for a condition like driving in rain, and leave the t/c on it could save you.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Glad you posted, I have had a similar concern about my summer tires and will be checking for input.

I have the tires that came on the car, all weather in the front, dry summer in the rear, which seems more all purpose than full performance all around. I live in a Mediterranean climate, so any snow experience will be on the road, too late to correct a poor strategy.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:04 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

From others posting over the years, it would seem that runflats aren't very good in the cold - - the rubber is hard and doesn't adhere well to cold pavement under the best of circumstances so even non-icy pavement can be tricky.

With the wide contact patch, any of the Corvette tires- except winter treads- are going to be alittle sketchy . . . but as others here report - -careful driving should make things safe - - just not the best winter car!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,436 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You really don't have to worry about the body panels, they can take the cold.

Yes, you can drive in cold weather on summer tires but you have to remember that they are not designed for such driving and therefore the traction will be affected. I have driven mine on occasion in cold temps and a few times when snow was on the ground, but I was very careful with the throttle, gave a LOT of room between cars and did not go very fast.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
From others posting over the years, it would seem that runflats aren't very good in the cold - - the rubber is hard and doesn't adhere well to cold pavement under the best of circumstances so even non-icy pavement can be tricky.

With the wide contact patch, any of the Corvette tires- except winter treads- are going to be alittle sketchy . . . but as others here report - -careful driving should make things safe - - just not the best winter car!
Not all run flats are created equal. The goodyear and kuhmo were bad in the cold. The Michelin all season are good in the cold. I drive my car in the winter, weather permitting. Two years ago drove in 16 degrees with out a problem. Since the car was new I have run only run flats.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:13 PM
tntwolt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
Not all run flats are created equal. The goodyear and kuhmo were bad in the cold. The Michelin all season are good in the cold. I drive my car in the winter, weather permitting. Two years ago drove in 16 degrees with out a problem. Since the car was new I have run only run flats.
Just don't get caugh in snow, I did, twice. One trip would have been no prob but an 18 wheeler jackknifed and I had to take a detour that was pure hell. Give it gas and the car wants to turn around, maybe it would drive better in reverse?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 387 Likes on 287 Posts

I flipped up my headlights on one nippy morning and they didn't appear to be too happy!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Ultimate ride
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

In 40 degree temperatures my PS 2's will break loose easily. Really have to be careful.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just be careful with the loud peddle and all will be fine.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I drive year round on Michelin run flats. I don't drive in the snow if I can help it. The Vette is much better than the Transam and Camaros Ive had for traction.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:37 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

As others have said, on summers, make sure you don't throw it about before the tires have warmed up. Otherwise, it will be VERY loose! And they are pretty much useless on snow. Basically, it snows, you park it before you slide into a ditch.

Lately, I've been running Pilot A/S2's run flats. Definitely good in the rain and cold, and even got me home with a snow on the roads a couple of times last winter, including going up hills. No brakes worth a d*** in those conditions tho'.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:00 PM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If you ask me I say that everybody is in a " very cold climate environment" this week here in the U.S and if you are driving your Corvette you can see how your tires are reacting to the weather
Old 11-14-2014, 04:05 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We have snow and ice up here(7,000 feet) for 4 or 5 months of the year. I have performance tires on the vert and I do drive it in the snow. You have to be careful with the accelerator and on the curves and stopping.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions for cold climate drivers.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Joe_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '15

It is doable just be careful the tires will take a while to stick they will cool off quickly.
Forget even a trace of snow it will not be pretty.... just watch the weather forecast carefully
Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

All these guys have given great advise if you MUST drive in the winter. With that said, damn near anyone should be able to come up with $1500 and find a Buick Lesabre (or similar) with 100k on the clock to drive as a beater. Hell, pickup a Hyundai for $500...its not going to pull in any ladies but it will get you from A to B.

I'm not above driving a POS and have done so in my early 20's to keep my shiny toys shiny. I had a C4 and a custom Hayabusa in my 20's. I drove the ugliest Plymouth Acclaim you ever saw all winter. Paid $1,250 for it with 68K original miles and resold it for $1,500 2 years later.

Look at it this way, if you buy it right and treat it right the winter POS could actualy make you money when you resell it. Worst case, if you have to resell it for $500 less you saved half that in tire wear alone by not spinning them in the vet for 3 months while praying you make it home in 1 piece.

Last edited by tcrote5516; 11-14-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

You have been given some really good advice here, and some really questionable advice as well.

I have owned five 'Vettes (3 C4's and 2 C5's) have driven every one of them year 'round in northern Colorado without incident. The cars are so well balanced front-to-rear (oh yeah, sports car, DUH) that you really don't have a problem as long as you observe the same defensive and prudent winter driving rules that you should adhere to in ANY vehicle in winter conditions!!! Drive more slowly, leave plenty of distance from the car in front, and be judicious with the throttle. Driving defensively is something you should do at all times, anyway!!

I have summer tires on mine as well. Would rather have all-seasons, but they were a little more than I could afford this time around. Will just adjust my driving accordingly. Leave early and give yourself plenty of time, as you should do in any vehicle in winter conditions. The key is that driving in winter and bad weather has more to do with time and your driving habits than it will ever have to do with what vehicle you are in!!!!!!!

Basically....don't drive like an azz-hat and you won't have azz-hat problems to deal with after it is already too late!!!!!! Oh, and you won't kill or maim anyone else out on the roads with you!!

Yeah, four-wheel drives can get going easier, but they do not stop any better at all than anything else!!!! And, they are more likely to be going too fast in an emergency situation as the driver was fooled by how easy it was to accelerate!!

Just my very experienced $0.02 from many years of winter driving in everything from 'Vettes to 18 wheelers in the winter mountains of Colorado. Winter veteran of Wolf Creek pass, Eisenhauer pass, etc.

DSTURBD

Quick Reply: Questions for cold climate drivers.