Not a C5, but this is one reason Vette owners get a bad rep

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 2CRUZIN
Wish I could meet the Jeep driver, I'd shake his hand and say "well done."
Hell.... I would have offered to pay for his meal !!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM
tazor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cardigan sweaters, tennis rackets and a kid named buffy is why we as corvette owners get a bad rap!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:48 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'm not going to defend what the Vette owner did or the Jeep owner, but I understand the Vette owner's frustration. Up until 3 weeks ago I owned a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 188K on the clock. It was my "airport" car. I obtained it back from my son at about the same time I bought the spiral gray coupe in my avatar.
Over 2+ years, that Jeep gained numerous dings and paint chips (easily more than 20) from idiots who open their car doors into the next car with no regard for someone else's property at the RDU airport parking garage. The Jeep was a beater and I didn't care about it. It was part of my business and it served a specific function. However, it's sad that I have to own a beater because I can't park a nice car in the parking garage without expecting new scratches and dings.

Last edited by roadbike56; 09-25-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

For what it's worth I just had a douchebag think it was a good idea to park his jacked up 4X4 with his front tire dang near touching a poor elderly womans door cause he didn't like her taking two spaces near the phone store. For whatever reason this douchebag thought he was appointed by God almighty to make this elderly woman unable to get in her car.

I just happened to see the douchebag and his pals yucking it up and laughing as they passed the woman coming out of the store. I called the jerk out in public and dressed this jerk and his friends down and made him move his truck. I was then mobbed by the people there shaking my hand, and hugged by every female within earshot...while the douche and his friends ran away.

So far all the ones who think this 'Jerk in a Jeep" deserves a medal, it's just a parking space. No one knows the story about the Corvette driver...but apparently that isn't even part of this story. Maybe the guy/gal just needed to use a bigger space for whatever reason, bad knees, cane, medical problems, overweight, or a million things.

Last edited by sfc rick; 09-26-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:13 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Default C5 Lover's parking smart

I love my cars and want them staying nice. Parking in the furthest possible zone in the parking lot is what I always do. And if the furthest zone is full, I actually will look for spots on the street or other further parking areas I can park legally and not **** anyone off. After I park my car, I do a lot of walking. If I don't like the walking, then I should own a junker.

I should also note... and this might sound crazy to some... I will google Earth a place I haven't been before I go to see the parking logistics. If the physical parking lot size appears small and may be cramped, I just don't take the vette.

I don't like to see anyone doing damage to someone else's car but this is not an ideal world. Park the way that guy did in the picture (and under the circumstances where spots were few), he's asking for something unpleasant... I don't like it or approve of it... but it has an increased likihood to happen.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:41 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,484 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I'm not going to defend what the Vette owner did or the Jeep owner, but I understand the Vette owner's frustration. Up until 3 weeks ago I owned a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 188K on the clock. It was my "airport" car. I obtained it back from my son at about the same time I bought the spiral gray coupe in my avatar.
Over 2+ years, that Jeep gained numerous dings and paint chips (easily more than 20) from idiots who open their car doors into the next car with no regard for someone else's property at the RDU airport parking garage. The Jeep was a beater and I didn't care about it. It was part of my business and it served a specific function. However, it's sad that I have to own a beater because I can't park a nice car in the parking garage without expecting new scratches and dings.
Airport parking garages are the worst. First, since they produce revenue, they want to jam as many parking stalls in as possible, thus the tight fits. Second, most people traveling have other things on their mind and will pull out their luggage, bags, etc. with no regard for the vehicle parked next to them. Third, I've seen Ford F150s pull into slots designated for compact cars only or back into a diagonal slot because they were driving in the opposite direction when they noticed the opening and didn't want to lose it.

Like all other parking, I try to get there early enough so that I can pick out the safest stall possible. Usually one where there is a support beam on one side which I hug as close as possible. However, even with leaving an extra wide gap on one side, I've come back to have cars parked next to me crossing the parking lines in order to share the extra space.

Last edited by MSG C5; 09-26-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The "JERK" in the vette didn't seem to have any problems bending over checking his car or getting in his precious double parked vette for that matter.....
Old 09-26-2014, 03:03 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MSG C5
...I try to get there early enough so that I can pick out the safest stall possible. Usually one where there is a support beam on one side which I hug as close as possible...
Same here. I get to work an hour and a half "early" (I'm on salary so it really doesn't matter that much) so that I can get this prime spot!

No need to give people a "reason" to mess with the car. And I know that some people will go out of their way to screw with a nice car just because they're douche bags, but in those cases there's really not much we can do...except to keep the car locked away in a garage...and then ya can't drive it and that ain't much fun!

Last edited by FrankLP; 09-26-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Hombre
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Same here. I get to work an hour and a half "early" (I'm on salary so it really doesn't matter that much) so that I can get this prime spot!

Frank, Man you are lucky that is the perfect spot for a Corvette. This topic has had me laughing at this guy in that picture, makes you wonder "What was he thinking?"

I always park were I "Hope" the Corvette is safe, I even choose right most of the time. I walk with two canes, and walking is just no fun for me at all. I still park were there is no one else and many times that means far away. I have never been to a Walmart but my wife goes all of the time, and always takes her car when she goes. On the rare occasions were I do use a parking lot I just bite the bullet and walk.

Roland
Old 09-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,094 Likes on 800 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

First, in most areas a raised concrete section is considered a crosswalk for pedestrian passage. The Jeep would get towed first.

Second, I don't condone the actions of either driver.

Say we just call it dumb and dumber. And I'm not saying which is which.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

I have neopathy in both feet, a bad left knee, and a torn right hamstring. Before I got my place card I parked as close to the door as possible, but never took 2 spots. That's just asking for trouble. My car isn't a show car by any means but it still looks good for 143,000 miles. I think if you just park the car normally you will end up with less damage. I drove my car to work, and parked it in the lot just like everyone else for 2 years before I retired. It don't have anymore damage now than when I bought it, and yes I do drive it to Walmart sometimes. Parking in the furthest spot away thinking no one should park by it is just crazy, that just tells somebody I'm special, and NOBODY has a right to park by me. BS.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:49 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by jptgs1
First, in most areas a raised concrete section is considered a crosswalk for pedestrian passage. The Jeep would get towed first.

Second, I don't condone the actions of either driver.

Say we just call it dumb and dumber. And I'm not saying which is which.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 92GA
I have neopathy in both feet, a bad left knee, and a torn right hamstring. Before I got my place card I parked as close to the door as possible, but never took 2 spots. That's just asking for trouble. My car isn't a show car by any means but it still looks good for 143,000 miles. I think if you just park the car normally you will end up with less damage. I drove my car to work, and parked it in the lot just like everyone else for 2 years before I retired. It don't have anymore damage now than when I bought it, and yes I do drive it to Walmart sometimes. Parking in the furthest spot away thinking no one should park by it is just crazy, that just tells somebody I'm special, and NOBODY has a right to park by me. BS.
Not crazy at all. It just tells people that we don't want to get any door dings and will walk a little further to keep it that way. That's all. I bought my daily driver new and it has a bunch of dings even though I park it normally. I haven't got any dings on my Vette and I park it away from the entrance and by itself.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:17 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

What if it was a Civic taking up those spaces?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
It really doesn't matter what kind of car it is. Taking two spaces by the entrance is rude and shows no class.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,094 Likes on 800 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
It wouldn't have made the news!
Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
He's lucky he didn't get his Vette vandalized taking two of the best parking spots. Nothing wrong with taking 2 spots if the lot is half full and you park as far away as possible.
this

taking two spots by the front door when it's crowded is asking to get keyed

Get notified of new replies

To Not a C5, but this is one reason Vette owners get a bad rep

Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
this

taking two spots by the front door when it's crowded is asking to get keyed

Yea, thats the ticket! Like the girls who dress a certain way ask to be raped!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:17 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
Totally agree!!

I've blocked in a few retards myself with my DD.. Make them climb through the passenger side!!
Had that happen to me a couple years ago and I was parked like everyone else (between the lines). I busted out his windows (old Honda civic 5spd) and pushed his car into another parking spot. Hope that bitch got glass in his ***.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP

No need to give people a "reason" to mess with the car. And I know that some people will go out of their way to screw with a nice car just because they're douche bags, but in those cases there's really not much we can do...except to keep the car locked away in a garage...and then ya can't drive it and that ain't much fun!
I always try to find spots like that as well. To many *** hats out there.

Quick Reply: Not a C5, but this is one reason Vette owners get a bad rep