Sponsored by:

Bad judging at car show

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 PM
mark03c5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad judging at car show

Went to a car show today in my home town.never seen such bad judging.the corvettes are classed by the years.each class they give 1st 2nd and 3rd place.there were like 6 c5.to me the best looking in my class was parked next to me.I knew either him are me would get the 1st.Our vette was the only two with mods,the other was just plain stock not really even that clean.well neither him are me even placed not even a third.Im thinking wtf are these judges looking at.We never heard the 1st placed called for our class .after the show we ask them who won 1st.they told us some name but the trophy never was giving out.what do you guys think of this,I know it's just for fun but still if you gonna judge cars do it right.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,449 Likes on 14,054 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

First of all, you are right, car shows are supposed to be fun and you don't go with the expectation that you will always win an award. But, sometimes the judges do things that defy logic. Lesson learned here is if you feel you were slighted and they would not explain how they judged the cars, don't return to the show next time. And I agree, if they are going to judge the cars, the least they could do is do it right.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

Maybe they didn't like mods...
Old 09-13-2014, 08:19 PM
BKH
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like the more stick-on chrome louvers, covers, and emblems you can install the better you will judge in a show. Also must have one of those stupid dolls leaning on the bumper.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:20 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by mark03c5
Went to a car show today in my home town.never seen such bad judging.the corvettes are classed by the years.each class they give 1st 2nd and 3rd place.there were like 6 c5.to me the best looking in my class was parked next to me.I knew either him are me would get the 1st.Our vette was the only two with mods,the other was just plain stock not really even that clean.well neither him are me even placed not even a third.Im thinking wtf are these judges looking at.We never heard the 1st placed called for our class .after the show we ask them who won 1st.they told us some name but the trophy never was giving out.what do you guys think of this,I know it's just for fun but still if you gonna judge cars do it right.
You my friend just learned a valuable lesson. Car shows are like wrestling they know the winners before hand .I have won my fair share of car shows and lost many more.I just go to see the bad azz cars and make new friends . Life is to short to get upset .
Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

That's kind of odd, I don't think I've ever heard a car show participant disagree with the judges before.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:47 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by oldC5
You my friend just learned a valuable lesson. Car shows are like wrestling they know the winners before hand .I have won my fair share of car shows and lost many more.I just go to see the bad azz cars and make new friends . Life is to short to get upset .
Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like a classic case of sour grapes to me.
You went there "expecting" to win.
You even stated in your post that you or the other dude were going to win a 1st.
My advice (for what it's worth) don't be upset at this trivial matter.
There are many more important things in life to worry about.

I have taken my 66 Tbird to some shows, and as great looking as it is, it has not won any trophies.
I don't go to a show with the intention of winning, I go there to have a good time, and after judging, I get in my car and drive home.
That is really when the show and judging begin.
The thumbs up, the "hey dude, beautiful car", the honking of horns and the waves.
That my friend is the real show, with real judges.

Just as a matter of interest, the bird is for sale, so if anyone cares to make me an offer, I will consider it
I am limited for space, and since I bought the C5 in May, I need to make room.
Three vehicles is one to many.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 09-13-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Perhaps it is just me, but I think the point the OP was trying to make was that a dirty stock car should not have won against a presumably tastefully modded car. Now I don't know this car's guy or the the other guy who he stated also could have won. Some mods simply ruin a car and stock does look better. Just because you spent money on aftermarket stuff doesn't entitle you to a trophy. I get all that. But at some point you need to question how the judge got nominated to do the job. They should be car guys who understand modifications and can be impartial and respect what people have done.

Maybe we need to see a picture of the OPs car? My opinion as a spectator of a car show...if I see stock Modern era cars, I usually keep walking. Why do I want to stop and look at something that is seen all the time on the street? However if it is an older 70's and before era car, I expect to see both stock and modified and can appreciate the effort that went into preserving or restoring something like that to stock conditions (even a survivor or barn fresh would garner more attention from me). Like I said I get it that not everyone is there to win an award and it is just for fun. But I'd be upset too if a stock C5 beat me.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't go to car shows expecting to win a trophy. If I do, that's a bonus. A couple of times I have entered a DD against someone who arrives with their car in an enclosed trailer. Not really fair, but neither is life. I've learned to accept this.

I have a great time just watching the people who attend and seeing how many are taking photos of my car. That alone tells me that I have something to be proud of. I also love to just stand around all afternoon talking with other car enthusiasts. Doesn't matter what model car they own.

Remember, the next time you do receive a trophy, someone else is going to go home believing that the judges made a mistake!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

A lot of shows are judged by the entrants or the public, in these kinds of shows it's who you know.

When you roll up to a local show with 30 people in the show you know the chances of a stranger winning anything is low.

That being said I never go to a show expecting anything other than a good time with car guys.

Other shows like our local corvette club hire an out state judge to go over the cars and the host cars are not I'm competition with the guests.

Lastly it depends on the type of judging our show is purely based on how clean the car is, others have very specific criteria the cars are judged on.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:01 AM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olbear1962
Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't "do" shows but my wife [against my advice] put her "55" Chevy in a local show last year. They put her car in the unfinished street class [needs paint work to be finished]. Every thing was fine until a late entrant in her class complained that he couldn't possibly win because her car was to nice and that we were obviously rich to have such a nice car! Unbelievably they told my wife they had to change her class [which they had assigned her] because it wasn't "fair' to the late arriving LOSER! In todays "politically correct" world we certainly don't want any one to feel bad.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:32 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BKH
Seems like the more stick-on chrome louvers, covers, and emblems you can install the better you will judge in a show. ...
Oh, if that were only true ...........

Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,257 Likes on 819 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

OK I will give you my 2 cents..
This is a subject that has gone before...many times.
The truth is some guys put a lot of work into their vettes and they
got to shows for some recognition . Yes they go to win the 8 dollar
trophy--nothing wrong with that. Of course the flee bag stocker
that is falling apart with dangling bits of chrome--- wins..Judges,
there great when you win and bums when you lose.
Peoples choice awards---all the buddies get together and pick
the winner--just as bad.
I have won many trophy's and really what does it mean??? Not
much. I have won and other vettes were better than mine--lost.
Don't get mad when you lose..If you get mad they win. You know
what you have and believe me , the people in the know
will come up to you and tell you what a good job you done. It's
worth more than a judge who knows little about vettes.
So try to have a good time--your personnel satisfaction is the most
important aspect of the game called---Car Show.
Good luck
Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 AM
I8URSVT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Op, do u have a pic of your car?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

What he said,,,,,

Originally Posted by BKH
Seems like the more stick-on chrome louvers, covers, and emblems you can install the better you will judge in a show. Also must have one of those stupid dolls leaning on the bumper.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad judging at car show

Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

In my 8 years of ownership I did 1 show and that was enough, I go to a lot but only as a spectator and that is it, You will find that a lot of the shows will side with the club putting on the show, Too much politics for me.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
First of all, you are right, car shows are supposed to be fun and you don't go with the expectation that you will always win an award. But, sometimes the judges do things that defy logic. Lesson learned here is if you feel you were slighted and they would not explain how they judged the cars, don't return to the show next time. And I agree, if they are going to judge the cars, the least they could do is do it right.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:53 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,487 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by road pilot
OK I will give you my 2 cents..
This is a subject that has gone before...many times.
The truth is some guys put a lot of work into their vettes and they
got to shows for some recognition . Yes they go to win the 8 dollar
trophy--nothing wrong with that. Of course the flee bag stocker
that is falling apart with dangling bits of chrome--- wins..Judges,
there great when you win and bums when you lose.
Peoples choice awards---all the buddies get together and pick
the winner--just as bad.
I have won many trophy's and really what does it mean??? Not
much. I have won and other vettes were better than mine--lost.
Don't get mad when you lose..If you get mad they win. You know
what you have and believe me , the people in the know
will come up to you and tell you what a good job you done. It's
worth more than a judge who knows little about vettes.
So try to have a good time--your personnel satisfaction is the most
important aspect of the game called---Car Show.
Good luck

This sums it up the best! The only change I would make to the comments above would be to change the word "better" to "different" as all people have their own opinions.

SELF SATISFACTION of knowing exactly what you have, and are happy with it matters most!

POSITIVE comments from others outside of the judges should be taken as compliments which hold more value as well.

Quick Reply: Bad judging at car show