Sponsored by:

Those who have installed new seat covers - OPINION NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:36 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Those who have installed new seat covers - OPINION NEEDED

I got seat covers from DJ Motorsports along with new heavy duty bottom foam. I might be able to do this install but it wouldn't be without frustration and far more time than it should take. So, I am going to have a professional do the install.

I got quotes of $150, $290, $375, $450. $450 is a joke. The guys at $290 and $375 have good reputations but how much craftsmanship is there involved? I would think any upholstery guy has got to be proficient at this task? The guy that quoted me $150 said, "well all I'm doing is putting on new covers for you." That's about what I was thinking when the other guys quoted me double and triple the price.

What's your opinion? Go with the cheapest quote or go with one of the middle quotes from a shop with a good reference? Heck, I could pay $150 and if it didn't look good enough I could pay $290 and still be less than the high quote from the guy who thinks he is the Car Warriors Upholstery Champion.

Opinions?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:43 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

I'd go with the guy who said "well all I'm doing is putting on new covers for you." He does work in a upholstery shop so he should know what he's doing.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I did my own foam and cover replacement and I had never attempted this before. I used the Vette Essentials how-to as a reference. It's some work but very doable if you're moderately mechanically inclined.

For a pro, I would think this would be cake.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The $150. guy is honest.

I also wouldn't use the heavy duty foam. I could never get used to the extra height and uncomfortable ride. When I bought mine they were just gluing the velcro to the foam. Velcro pulled off when trying to reposition the cover. The foam bottom from Ecklers has the velcro molded into the foam and it is 200% more comfortable than the heavy duty foam.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
The $150. guy is honest.

I also wouldn't use the heavy duty foam. I could never get used to the extra height and uncomfortable ride. When I bought mine they were just gluing the velcro to the foam. Velcro pulled off when trying to reposition the cover. The foam bottom from Ecklers has the velcro molded into the foam and it is 200% more comfortable than the heavy duty foam.
I agree on the heavy duty foam; it's just too hard to be comfortable. I went with normal foam from Corvette America and also used a seat rebuild kit from JW Motoring. It took a week or so for the foam to settle down; it was very high when I first sat in it, but now it's seated itself and is very comfortable. I like that I don't have to worry about the foam getting cut up from the spring wire frame and that I have the extra support to hold my weight.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:50 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems we are on in agreement on this. I was thinking the same thing. I guess I am going to make the call and set it up. Only other negative is that this guy is located in a part of Jax that isn't too pleasant. Hopefully I can get in and out without incident

EDIT: Install scheduled for next Friday, Sep 19. WooHoo!!!

Last edited by JaxEagle; 09-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:08 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Cheapest.... It's not brain surgery. If not perfect, make them fix it.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts

Don't skimp on the foam. For the first 6 month after going with the dense foam you may sit a litter higher. Once it settles and breaks in you will be right back where you are supposed to be. Well worth the short inconvenience to not have to address the foam again in a year or two.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:24 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what I was thinking.

My old fat butt would shape that seat in no time.

Did the "heavy duty foam" ever settle down?

How many miles have you sat on them?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:33 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
That's what I was thinking.

My old fat butt would shape that seat in no time.

Did the "heavy duty foam" ever settle down?

How many miles have you sat on them?
The car is my DD so I'm in it 6 days a week. Happened to remove the drivers side seat last weekend for other reasons and had the opportunity to tighten up all of the interior ties. Continues to look great.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Originally Posted by frsr06
The car is my DD so I'm in it 6 days a week. Happened to remove the drivers side seat last weekend for other reasons and had the opportunity to tighten up all of the interior ties. Continues to look great.
By the way - my wife thinks the passenger side is much better too so she loves to ride with the top down.

Get notified of new replies

To Those who have installed new seat covers - OPINION NEEDED

Quick Reply: Those who have installed new seat covers - OPINION NEEDED