Someone Keyed my C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Psydef
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Someone Keyed my C5

I ran into the store for 5 minutes and came out to a key mark from under the driver side door handle all the way to the front wheel well

Luckly the key didn't make it through the clear coat so they should be able to buff or wet sand the scratch out

It's a shame... You work hard to own your dream car and somebody comes along and does this.. I parked in the empty part of the lot away from the other cars to avoid door dings. And I wasn't parked like a jackass taking up two stalls.....

Anyone else had this happen to their vette?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:09 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Psydef
I ran into the store for 5 minutes and came out to a key mark from under the driver side door handle all the way to the front wheel well

Luckly the key didn't make it through the clear coat so they should be able to buff or wet sand the scratch out

It's a shame... You work hard to own your dream car and somebody comes along and does this.. I parked in the empty part of the lot away from the other cars to avoid door dings. And I wasn't parked like a jackass taking up two stalls.....

Anyone else had this happen to their vette?

Not keyed.....I had my tires ice picked, while it sat in my driveway
Old 09-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Any security camera's where you were at to maybe help identify the punk that did this?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Psydef
Instructor

I don't think so... I was parked at the far end of the Safeway parking lot so there's a good chance no camera's picked it up...
Old 09-05-2014, 04:18 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Psydef
I don't think so... I was parked at the far end of the Safeway parking lot so there's a good chance no camera's picked it up...
You might be surprised, I would speak to the store manager
Old 09-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Psydef
Instructor

Yeah that's not a bad idea....
Old 09-05-2014, 04:23 PM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn man, sorry to hear that.

I am a younger guy, 23, and I worry about this everyday. I park in at my university parking lot most days and it scares me. I worked and saved for my c5z some people just don't give a damn
Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I feel for you, it makes you angry that anyone would violate your property out of meaness. I'm very lucky my own is always in my eyesight cause I will violate a vandals physical well being beyond their little ignorant minds can imagine.

Long ago about 4 decades worth my 67 Cougar was vandalized a few times and that bothered me to no end. Cops said it was a girl who was angry with me. Anyway, I wish you the best and hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:32 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

After hearing stories of folks doing this (or worse, breaking into them) at the local hang out, the owner told me where the cameras were so I can park under them.

Sorry people are jackasses.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:37 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rick369
Any security camera's where you were at to maybe help identify the punk that did this?
That sucks. Sorry to hear about the damage.

Whenever this happens I think most of us tend to envision some young teenage punk, loser who is responsible. However it's not always the case.

I was coming back from a lunch meeting with some colleagues and the driver decided to drop his car off at the building car wash which was located on the 6th and final floor of our company parking garage. Usually, the first three floors fill up and then only a few random people park in floors 5 and 6.

On the way up, we noticed a Porsche 911 parked diagonally covering two spots on the 5th floor on the far side across from the elevator. It was 1PM and there were only three cars parked on the entire floor. A woman I was with said she wished she could key his car just to teach him a lesson. I replied that there were no other cars on the floor and he wasn't taking up a close parking spot. She replied it didn't matter.

Then there's this guy...

Old 09-05-2014, 04:42 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cessna10
You might be surprised, I would speak to the store manager
Also, if there might be another business even closer to that far end of the Safeway lot that you parked in, perhaps even across the street.... it might be worthwhile asking them if they have any cameras pointed that direction.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

My car has been egged, twice. )(#&*($#holes.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hasn't happened yet, but I do worry about it. As the difference between the Have's and Have Not's increases, so does the likelihood of having this type of thing happen.

As someone said before, it's a shame when you work hard and save in order to purchase nice things and then some low-life comes along and damages it.

Hope the paint shop can repair the damage without too much trouble.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:14 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

After many many acts of vandalism to my cars in my youth; I've just started parking like I DON'T give a crap. Make sure I'm in my spot right, park with everyone else and not to draw attention or act like mines too good to be next to yours. Try and park by cars that look like people might care if they got a door ding.

Knock on wood it's worked so far
Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I had dreamed of a Corvette since I was 13 when I saw a brand new '68 on base one day. It was obviously an officer's car. Told my mom that I would have one someday. She told me I could have a Corvette when I could pay for the car, the insurance, and my pre-paid funeral costs for when I killed myself in it.

Finally got my first one in about '92. It was an '84 coupe, white with the grey interior. Boy was I proud of that thing!!!!! About the third night I owned it, I was emceeing a Great White concert in Fort Collins and had parked it in back by the band's tour bus. Even back there some jacka$$ went out of their way to key it!!!!! Must have been plenty buzzed though 'cause they only pushed hard enough to transfer some brass to the paint and it buffed right off!!!!! WHEW!!!!! Still though, why!?!?!?! It doesn't make their situation any better. Just lucky I didn't catch them. Back then I was no small obstacle to be dealt with and I can guarantee that it would have taken much more than a light polish to repair the damage I would have done in recompense!!!!!!!!! Can you say multiple EMT's?

DSUTRBD
Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by MSG C5
That sucks. Sorry to hear about the damage.

Whenever this happens I think most of us tend to envision some young teenage punk, loser who is responsible. However it's not always the case.

I was coming back from a lunch meeting with some colleagues and the driver decided to drop his car off at the building car wash which was located on the 6th and final floor of our company parking garage. Usually, the first three floors fill up and then only a few random people park in floors 5 and 6.

On the way up, we noticed a Porsche 911 parked diagonally covering two spots on the 5th floor on the far side across from the elevator. It was 1PM and there were only three cars parked on the entire floor. A woman I was with said she wished she could key his car just to teach him a lesson. I replied that there were no other cars on the floor and he wasn't taking up a close parking spot. She replied it didn't matter.

Then there's this guy...

wow Southlake is 15 min for me, thank god I don't have a hummer, and if I ever caught someone keying my car I would kick the **** out of them!!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,584 Likes on 669 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Only in class-less America.

Get notified of new replies

To Someone Keyed my C5

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It's a shame that some people feel the need to mess with someone else's property. Too bad no one saw the idiot that did the damage to your car.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 PM
C8 Steve
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just transferred to a new college this week. First day parking (I parked 3 miles away from the next nearest car) a group of people decided it would be funny to park 2 inches away from me. Next day I come back to my car after a 10 hour school day to find 4 empty bottles of vodka on the roof of my vette. Luckily theres no damage but some people have no respect. Getting a beater car ASAP
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
After many many acts of vandalism to my cars in my youth; I've just started parking like I DON'T give a crap. Make sure I'm in my spot right, park with everyone else and not to draw attention or act like mines too good to be next to yours. Try and park by cars that look like people might care if they got a door ding.

Knock on wood it's worked so far
I think this is best. I do this myself if I am taking out one of my more valuable cars. At the end of the day, I really just choose to take a lesser expensive daily driver to any stores at all, period.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Quick Reply: Someone Keyed my C5