Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottoming/scraping front end: I no longer care!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Joe Gilmore
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bottoming/scraping front end: I no longer care!

I finally came to the conclusion that my C5 is going to scrape the road on certain dips and bumps, and that I should just get over it. Sometimes it's going to scrape the spoilers, and sometimes it's even going to scrape the underside of the front bumper. But unless I am willing to drive like a *****, and slow down to less than walking speed every time there is a dip or bump or driveway that needs to be entered, it's going to get scraped.

Well, I'm NOT willing to drive like a *****. I have sports cars because I like to drive fast. The C5 is going to have to do what I want it to do, and if that means it isn't some pristine gargage queen, fine. I don't have much respect for garage queens that never get driven (or driven hard) anyway.

Besides, if you go faster, and scrape the front spoilers, it sounds much better scraping them quickly than the long, drawn-out SCCCRRRAAAAAAPE that you get if you slow down. And the spoilers are readily available and not very expensive when you wear them out. Front spoilers should be viewed as a maintenance item, just like brake pads. As to the underside of the front bumper, I can't see the scrapes unless I get down on the ground and look underneath. None of the perfect strangers who frequently say to me "Beautiful car, man!" ever get down and look at the underside of my front bumper before saying it.

So, there you have it. My C5 is now a daily driver, and I'm going to get every bit of enjoyment out of it that I can, and quit worrying.
The following 4 users liked this post by Joe Gilmore:
Chucklehead2 (06-05-2022), dizwiz24 (03-02-2023), jasonk2004 (05-05-2023), Tusc (06-06-2022)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Sounds like you need Fatt Daddys and rail savers to protect things. Better safe than sorry.
Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree 100% I just take it as part of owning the car. I think that's one of the benefits of buying used that the bumper already had a couple scratches on bottom.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM
williame3590
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Give er Joe......lol

Best thing I've read in a while!

Bill
Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Joe Gilmore
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Sounds like you need Fatt Daddys and rail savers to protect things. Better safe than sorry.
I have Fangs from SacCityCorvette on the front skid bars, and Elite Engineering's Rocker Panel Rails, because those areas could suffer more than just cosmetic damage. But the front spoilers and underside of the bumper are on their own, and that's just fine.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:58 PM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Well lemme tell ya...I had mine on a lift earlier today, you know you can see EVERYTHING from that vantage point...all I can say is it looks like a war was fought down there.

Moral...stay off the lift...
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 210 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Gilmore
I finally came to the conclusion that my C5 is going to scrape the road on certain dips and bumps, and that I should just get over it. Sometimes it's going to scrape the spoilers, and sometimes it's even going to scrape the underside of the front bumper. But unless I am willing to drive like a *****, and slow down to less than walking speed every time there is a dip or bump or driveway that needs to be entered, it's going to get scraped.

Well, I'm NOT willing to drive like a *****. I have sports cars because I like to drive fast. The C5 is going to have to do what I want it to do, and if that means it isn't some pristine gargage queen, fine. I don't have much respect for garage queens that never get driven (or driven hard) anyway.

Besides, if you go faster, and scrape the front spoilers, it sounds much better scraping them quickly than the long, drawn-out SCCCRRRAAAAAAPE that you get if you slow down. And the spoilers are readily available and not very expensive when you wear them out. Front spoilers should be viewed as a maintenance item, just like brake pads. As to the underside of the front bumper, I can't see the scrapes unless I get down on the ground and look underneath. None of the perfect strangers who frequently say to me "Beautiful car, man!" ever get down and look at the underside of my front bumper before saying it.

So, there you have it. My C5 is now a daily driver, and I'm going to get every bit of enjoyment out of it that I can, and quit worrying.
I agree same here. Besides if you drive a sports car like a *****, you get no *****
The following users liked this post:
Chucklehead2 (06-05-2022)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by meflyfrc
I agree same here. Besides if you drive a sports car like a *****, you get no *****
My wife is the other way around...in my vette, if I don't drive like a ***** (she get's mad) and I get no *****.
The following 3 users liked this post by MotoJB:
c5arlen (06-05-2022), dizwiz24 (03-02-2023), JCMDoug (06-08-2022)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 PM
grunz95
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the rail savers and the vehicle still scraps.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'm NOT willing to drive like a *****.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:30 PM
Turtle.slow210
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Agreed!!!!

Couldn't agree with u more brother!!! It's the whole reason I bought the dam car to go fast!!! I WANNA GO FAST!!! I work at a cement plant and all my maintenance buddies are always telling me are u stupid? Why the hell would u drive that car up here? I get a hard time at work from alot of others. Yes the car is nice but driving it everywhere is better than just looking at it in my garage. Well said!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Turtle.slow210:
sonicss33 (06-06-2022), walleyejack (06-04-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 07:57 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 635 Likes on 399 Posts

So do they call you "Sparky"?
Old 06-05-2022, 04:19 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 844 Likes on 602 Posts

Man.. Ain't that the truth brother... I'm with you... Many appear in my town, they must-a got a deal on the damn things so...... I insist on coming very close to a stop on Ever One of those damn things in my town... I slowly creep over every one of them.. Talk about pissed folks! And cops can't do a damn thing... but then again perhaps that makes em happy!... Anything I can do to help local law enforcement. 😒 Todays world requires patience and a prudent driver to manage a high horsepower lowslung Corvette in speed bump heaven. 😂 We don't see Any lowriders around here. Now that's discrimination ain't it? 🤔
Old 06-05-2022, 05:55 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

With all the scraping I do I wonder why I haven't worn off the offending pieces. But no, the next time I go across a heavily crowned intersection or a dip or a speed bump or my driveway entrance I throw sparks.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:30 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,975 Posts

That is my take on my 99 daily driver. But I don't have it slammed as low as it can go. I believe I have factory front bolts full low and aftermarket rear bolts set to match a 2-finger spacing from tire to top of wheel well.

Imagine having an A&A kit like this car did which put the radiator frame an additional 1/2" lower. LOL

They already mentioned the tricks. I like the rollers of the fat momma / fat daddy options because it is a zero friction thing, and it also provides an earlier warning that the skid plates. I own, but have not installed, the same elite frame savers. I really never once have gone center high on these cars and adding those pieces both lowered the bottom of the car making it more likely while also blocking off the puck jacking points which I am NOT a fan of.

One thing I'll toss in the hat here. Remove the air splitters under your car. Left, right and center. Then either cut them in half lengthwise or to your preferred height. 90% of the time it is that rubbery stuff scraping and making noise and making you feel dumb in the car. They serve no purpose to me so I hacked 'em up and have been happy that way for several years. If someone says doing so affects radiator feed or temperature in any way they have zero experience and are talking out the side of their back end.

Additional bonus to the fat momma / fat daddy rollers: they work well in the Corvette's natural habitat..... being loaded on a flatbed! They really do keep the nose itself from getting dragged and reduce your stress. $20 says the guy mentions them the first time your car is towed.
The following users liked this post:
phoneman91 (06-06-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 02:10 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

I can't get in and out of my driveway without scraping. I know it's just just the air dam, so it doesn't bother me that much. Although I want to put and ACI splitter on the car, so that could be a problem If I can't figure out a way to improve the road to driveway transition. I certainly drive my car. I do try to be careful with it though.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:55 PM
Alley Oop
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I used to scrape every time I drove up or down my driveway, definitely not a good feeling. I cut about 1 7/8" off the air dam. No more scrape and the temp gauge shows about a 7* increase on a hot day. Getting rid of the scrape added a lot to my driving pleasure.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:21 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Is always good to update old threads. I dont c y this is a big deal around here. There should be no statute of limitations on this JMO

Get notified of new replies

To Bottoming/scraping front end: I no longer care!

Quick Reply: Bottoming/scraping front end: I no longer care!