Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from headlight motor after closing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Richie D
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from headlight motor after closing.

Anyone have a problem with the front headlight making a clicking sound after the headlight closes.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie D
Anyone have a problem with the front headlight making a clicking sound after the headlight closes.
Very common when the gear is stripped in one spot. If you'll go to Google and search "C5 Corvette headlight gear replacement" you'll get a lot of info including videos and sources for brass gears to replace the plastic ones.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Very common when the gear is stripped in one spot. If you'll go to Google and search "C5 Corvette headlight gear replacement" you'll get a lot of info including videos and sources for brass gears to replace the plastic ones.
Everyone with a C5 has probably had this issue. Get the brass gears and you'll be good to go
Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Beware you may end up replacing the whole motor. I replaced the original factory gear with the Dickman Brass gear on one of my light motors..wasted time and labor, it did not fix it. Although the plastic gear WAS stripped and busted..

But even with the new brass gear installed it would still just make the ratchety noise and the lamp would still not open up. I am currently replacing both my motors with fresh ones. I'll salvage the brass gear from the old motor and keep it in case of a future problem..good luck with yours.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:17 AM
thealien
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the brass gears when mine started making the "noise" and have not installed them yet. While waiting for the gears to arrive I read a post about removing the nut on the linkage and rotating the shaft 180 degrees with the manual **** thus turning the stripped gear 180 degrees and then reattaching the linkage and nut. Took all of 15 minutes and has been working fine for a while. If/When it strips and starts making noises again I have the gear in stock.

HERE IS A GOOD WRITE UP ON GEAR REPLACEMENT
Old 08-23-2014, 09:36 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
Beware you may end up replacing the whole motor. I replaced the original factory gear with the Dickman Brass gear on one of my light motors..wasted time and labor, it did not fix it. Although the plastic gear WAS stripped and busted..

But even with the new brass gear installed it would still just make the ratchety noise and the lamp would still not open up. I am currently replacing both my motors with fresh ones. I'll salvage the brass gear from the old motor and keep it in case of a future problem..good luck with yours.

Same issue. Motor case itself was "bouncing" around from gear case when it went to full open or full close. Had to replace entire mechanism. Should be good for at least another 12 years or so.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Richie D
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight motor gear.

Thanks for the response. I have ordered the gear for both sides.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise from headlight motor after closing.

Quick Reply: Noise from headlight motor after closing.