2002 A/C COmpressor Rattling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Castleworks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 A/C COmpressor Rattling Noise

Hi All,

15 months ago I replaced my AC compressor, accumulator and orifice tube and flushed the entire system. I was meticulous in measuring the amount of PAG oil that came out of the old system and placed an equal amount in the new system. The system has worked fine since then through 2 Summers.

This past week the compressor has begun making a rattling noise. The system is still cooling fine, the only indication there is a problem is the rattling noise. Checking the pressures last night:

Low side was 50 psi
High side was 250 psi

Temp in the shop was close to 80 degrees F

I am guessing the rattling is a sign the compressor is on its last legs.

My question is this...can anything be done at this point or is it a matter of time till it dies?

Additionally does anyone have a temp / humidity chart for a more accurate reading?

I appreciate any suggestions you have.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

You did everything most would have advised, except I see no mention of replacing the condenser? Most auto parts stores want you to replace those things you listed to keep the new Compressor warranty. HOWEVER it's not enough to actually make a trouble free repair. The Condensor should be replaced if you want the new compressor to give longer service.

I also replaced my Compressor and was trouble free for about 18 months then a new noise started to occur and no amount of PAG-150 oil or new Freon would fix it. It went south pretty quickly after that. Then I found out why replacing the condenser was very important.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-a-c-info.html

Quick Reply: 2002 A/C COmpressor Rattling Noise