Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock mod question

Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 AM
Donutz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Column Lock mod question

I have been reading a lot about the column lock lately and the LMC5 module. I almost bought it today... but I got to thinking, the previous owner said that the car had the column lock problem and it had been addressed. Well, I left it at that and didn't think much more about it other than it had been fixed. After reading more and more about it I decided I need to buy the LMC5. That brought me to today when I almost bought it. Then I thought, Well, Maybe the previous owner installed this LMC5. So I came home and decided to take a gander at it. I found the the LMC5 was NOT installed which means I need to order one. However, What I did find was on the BCM, on the largest wire clip bundle had a fuse installed on one of the wires (pink wire). Does anyone know what this is for? It doesn't look like a factory deal... pretty much looks like some kind of redneck engineering. Is this gonna be a problem for this LMC5 install?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM
bmoore03
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would contact Richard at Compliance Parts. If anyone can answer your question, he can.

http://complianceparts.com/contactus.html
Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Donutz
Instructor

Unfortunately, mine is more redneck engineered than that!!! If someone can tell me how to post a picture on this thread from my phone....I'll show you exactly how bad it is...and it is a fuse!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Donutz; 08-21-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Donutz
Instructor

I emailed Richard and sent him the pics. Hopefully he will respond back soon so I can get the lmc5 ordered and installed!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:14 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I consider the LMC5 to be the best Column Lock problem permanent fix out there. It also does not require you to “undo” any previous CL attempts to resolve this issue. Their eBay ads have a good video that shows the install at the BCM. It does not cover everything in the written instructions. So, read the instructions and also here is some extra info. In some cases, the BCM timing is off just enough to cause some issues. They make several versions and they can swap out/provide one of these if you have any issues. Their customer support is as good as it gets.

Not uncommon for people to "put the column in a pre-lock condition" and not know it and then start with the install. In other words, they started with the column lock “energized’ even if it was not actually locked yet. If not actually locked yet, it will be as soon as you turn the steering wheel after the LMC5 install. It will then remain in the locked condition until you cause the motor to unlock. It will then remain in the unlocked condition since the motor is then unpowered with the circuits disconnected.

Here is one way to prevent that if your column locks and unlocks normally:
If the CL is functioning normally you don't not need the Unlocker, merely turn the ignition ON, pull fuse #23, turn ignition OFF, turn the steering wheel (left and right) and verify it is unlocked. Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal, re-insert fuse #23 and continue with the install.

Compliance Parts website: http://complianceparts.com/index.html
Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Lol. I already bought the unlocker!!!! Oh well. I also bought the lmc5. Hopefully I'll get it shipped to me quickly and installed asap before I ever experience this problem!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock mod question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Column Lock mod question