The Great White Z06 Acquisition Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:47 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Congrats!
Great story and write-up and welcome to BC!

With a 100km round trip commute, that should put you in the Abbotsford/Langey area. If your interested in Corvette clubs, there are two near there. BC Corvette club meets in Langley (dues) and Central Valley Corvettes meets in Abbotsford (no dues). I'm leaving for the caravan to NCM on Thursday and will be back by September 9 in time for CVC meeting (really it's a coffee and jawjack night!) September 10. PM me if you're interested.

Peter
Hey Peter,

I'm a Vancouver native, just been in SK for the last couple years. We've got an apartment in the West End, downtown - work is on the north side of the #1 off 176th in Surrey. I race out at Mission with my '99 FRC, do you get out to the track for the races?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks!

One of the most enjoyaboe wr8te-ups I have read on CF. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
jamant12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. It was fun to read especially with your pics. Congrats on your new SWZ!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
ColinG
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What an awesome trip and that is a stunning car!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 PM
FordPrefect
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing story, thanks for "bringing us along".
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow what a trip! Great pics!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I really enjoyed the pictures & the story. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

BEAUTIFUL Car and BEAUTIFUL scenery !

Looks like you had a blast !

The bugs on the front end made me cry though....

Toque
Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by darguy
Hey Peter,

I'm a Vancouver native, just been in SK for the last couple years. We've got an apartment in the West End, downtown - work is on the north side of the #1 off 176th in Surrey. I race out at Mission with my '99 FRC, do you get out to the track for the races?

Nice! I'd love to get back to the city!
I've not drag raced yet - just got into Autox this year at the Pitt Meadows airport. I'd like to try the drags though not just spectate! Mission just finished repaving their 1/4 mile track... what a fiasco that was - lost half the season!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 PM
darguy
Drifting

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm glad to be able to share the experience with the CF community!

Nice! I'd love to get back to the city!
I've not drag raced yet - just got into Autox this year at the Pitt Meadows airport. I'd like to try the drags though not just spectate! Mission just finished repaving their 1/4 mile track... what a fiasco that was - lost half the season!
I do the road racing at Mission with the SCCBC through CACC (never personally got into drag racing) - I started out in Auto-X, that turned into Time Attack after a few years, and a few years after that I turned my DD into a full on wheel to wheel car. Been at that a couple years. There is a race the 2nd weekend of Sept at Mission (Sat & Sun), come check it out! Barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be there.

Last edited by darguy; 08-18-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

thanks for sharing I enjoy reading these stories
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Darguy, it was nice meeting up with you in Regina. Looks like you had an awesome road trip. This was the first time I ever saw another SW ZO6 in person. Very rare cars!

Russ Kemp
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

That was fantastic! Great pics with the stories to go with, very entertaining. I almost felt like I was along for the ride, thanks! and welcome back to B.C.! Would really like to learn about importing cars from the good o'l USA sometime myself, care to share any resources? Also Congrats on the really nice rare white Z06!

Last edited by red03vette; 08-18-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by darguy
I do the road racing at Mission with the SCCBC through CACC (never personally got into drag racing) - I started out in Auto-X, that turned into Time Attack after a few years, and a few years after that I turned my DD into a full on wheel to wheel car. Been at that a couple years. There is a race the 2nd weekend of Sept at Mission (Sat & Sun), come check it out! Barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be there.
Not back from the caravan til September 12 so it will have to be another time
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 AM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by
[IMG
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/darguy/99%20FRC%20Race%20Prep/DSCN7626.jpg[/IMG]

Great write up and awesome Z!!

What tires & sizes are you running on the FRC?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by red03vette
That was fantastic! Great pics with the stories to go with, very entertaining. I almost felt like I was along for the ride, thanks! and welcome back to B.C.! Would really like to learn about importing cars from the good o'l USA sometime myself, care to share any resources? Also Congrats on the really nice rare white Z06!
Sure thing! I started at the Transport Canada Page -> link. This will give you the general info on admissibility, procedure, etc.

That quickly leads you to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles -> link. They have a really good checklist that gets generated with your specific info, once you start to figure out the general parameters of your import -> link.

There is also the US side to deal with, that's laid out fairly well in the checklist but the gist of the process is this:

0. Find the right car, and a seller willing to play ball.
1. Confirm vehicle admissibility (if 15 years old or more, things get a lot simpler).
2. Get a recall clearance document from a Dealer (RIV is fairly specific as to what is admissible), then get that to RIV for approval. Once approved, the 30 day clock starts ticking to complete the import process.
3. Determine which border crossing you'll use (not all of them handle this, the checklist tool has a drop down menu). Call them to confirm the procedure, they may differ, but it should be as follows.
4. Buy the car: you will need a clean tittle in your physical presence, this is critical. You will also need a detailed bill of sale, you can make one of these up yourself.
5. Fax the bill of sale & title to the Dept of Homeland Security at the designated border crossing. This process may differ, and may have changed by the time you do your import - they are phasing in a new internet based procedure very soon. I got through the old school way. They need 72 hrs from receiving the docs to when they will process the export.
6. Get the car to the border and meet with Homeland Security in 3 days (this is where the cool road trip comes in). Note: you'll need some kind of insurance from your home province, and may need permits for the states/provinces you're driving through. This part can get tricky, it helps to have a plate on the car during the drive to keep a low profile, the CA plate went with the car but other states may differ.
7. Have Homeland Security 'export' the car, then meet with the Canada Border Services, pay GST & and a/c tax and fill out a Form 1.
8. Get a copy of the Form 1 to RIV, then get a Form 2 from them (federal inspection checklist).
9. Have the car inspected by a designated facility (RIV checklist) for the federal inspection, and have the provincial done at the same time. They should fax the federal form to RIV, and they'll approve the import and send you an additional door sticker.
10. Take your paperwork to a provincial insurance agent, pay the PST, register the car and get plates/insurance.

I did a variation on the theme, as I paid the PST in SK and got a plate and 1 month of insurance so I could drive the car to BC, then had the inspection done there.

Sounds harder than it is, but I'm a details oriented kind of guy...

Not back from the caravan til September 12 so it will have to be another time
The Sept races are on 13-14, so if you have time come by and check it out. The last races of the year are on Oct 11-12 if you've got time then.

Originally Posted by 04silverZ06
Great write up and awesome Z!!

What tires & sizes are you running on the FRC?
I'm running 18x10.5" factory Z06 rears all around. I have a mixed set of scrubbed Toyo R888's and Nitto NT-05's, the Toyo's are 305/35's and the Nitto's are 295's not sure of the profile... It's a long story, but I'll be replacing these with Hoosier R6's in 315/30's for the start of next season. I've also got a set of 285/30/18 Yoko A048's for my 'intermediates' - I'll run these for the last couple race weekends this year and then replace them with Hoosier full wets. When it rains, it pours!

Last edited by darguy; 08-19-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

What a beutiful country we live in and thanks for letting us see it through your windshield. Great z

Get notified of new replies

To The Great White Z06 Acquisition Road Trip

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Awesome trip, and thanks for sharing.
I've made several similar trips, having been to the Yellowstone 9 times. Most in my C4 and C5 Corvettes.
Last year, we took a trip (bus) from Vancouver over the Canadian Rockies to Jasper and Banff Natl Parks. It was a fun and scenic trip.

So I see now, how Canada is going to attack us. You are going to take all our cool cars, and leave us a foot.....
Couldn't you take all our fat women, instead!

Thanks again for taking us along on your trip.

Don

Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for all that information darguy that's awesome!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by donald4972
Couldn't you take all our fat women, instead!

Quick Reply: The Great White Z06 Acquisition Road Trip