Sponsored by:

Irritated beyond belief: Service Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Dave-A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Very interesting thread and it now has me concerned as well. I have owned a 2001 for over a year, without any of these problem. I do not know what if anything the previous owner had install regarding the column lock problem. Is there a way to know what I have?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8VETTE7, ordinarily, I would contact one of my local mechanics about it, but I found a YouTube video from Compliance Parts, and I think even *I* might be able to manage this.

Besides, after I told the service writer about the 10-minute video for the install (real time, no splicing), she said they would charge me an hour for the install. I think not.

Just scheduled a dyno (mostly to have that damned fuel cutoff reset) for the 29th of September (earliest available). Just called Compliance and decided to have one overnighted (looks like Friday, otherwise). Spoke with Richard, he was awesome, full of tips and help and information. Starting to love my Vette again, still hating GD GM.

Last edited by CarriageTownVette; 08-19-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Add on info.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Huh... just got off the phone with the *other* dyno tune shop I had called. He says there's no need to dyno tune it, he can just turn off the anti-theft. Would that be the same as changing the 2MPH limit to 255? Also, I'm getting great gas mileage (24-27) and performance is fine. Do I really need to go the dyno tune route? I have no mods (other than headlights).
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Find out if he is using HP Tuners or EFI Live tuning software. If yes then he can set the fuel shutoff speed to a high number and the car would then be driveable without doing anything further as long as you don't mind the error messages in the DIC. It would NOT experience the column locking because of the recall work that replaced the lock plate with a small diameter plate that CANNOT intercept the lock pin. I would STILL get and install the LMC5 and I would STILL be checking out the battery and/or the condition of the Column Lock Relay. Yes I'm hung up and harping on those two items because one or both set off this problem to begin with. . Ignoring either problem WILL lead to worse problems very soon.
Okay. I plan to install the LMC5 (having it overnighted) tomorrow. Garage has removed the recall relay. As far as checking out the battery, I assume that's something a garage could do on the quick (again, I have no meter nor knowledge of how to work one)? As for the CLR, if I can find it, what should I be looking for? Wetness? Corrosion? I know that the floor of the vehicle was NOT wet (pulled up the carpet to verify). I will check the condition of the wiper drain when I install the LMC5. Thanks again for the patience and coaching.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:39 PM
tazor
Advanced

Just wanted to add another symptom, i have a 2000 a also bought it with the factory recall being done, as the steering wheel doesn't lock, i didn't check to see what or if they used a lmc5. Car runs fine, and no problems, put it on a trickle charger for a couple days as i was out of town. After returning, removed trickle charger and started car, remove key code came up. Thought maybe i pushed the key in too fast. Didn't show up again. Put trickle charger back on and walla after starting it, remove key displayed. Bought the lmc5 installed its all good. mine had the relay also, took it out and all is well. So my guess is that when on a trickle charger the lo voltage input triggered the computer to throw the message. just some fyi
Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no problems with my column lock (6 spd), but I ordered the LMC5 and unlocker anyway. I'll stick it in the glove box with the tools required to install.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 PM
yoymon
Instructor

after watching that vid on how to install it for 40 $ it seems like a no brainer, no more worries once done ..ever, looks easy enough to do, ordered mine yesterday hoping to get by weekend
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 PM
RCFC5
Intermediate

I have a 98 with no problems, But I just ordered one for peace of mind, I don't want to get stranded
Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I ordered both the LCM5 and the cags skip.
1st C5 I had any issue with, and it should be all over today.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Dave-A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Is the car an automatic??? If yes you can go on not worrying. 2001 and later automatics seldom have column lock issues. It is 1997 -2000 automatics and any year C5 manual trans that will have the column lock symptoms/problems.
I have a manual but do not know if this have been addressed by a previous owner.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 214 Posts

If your steering wheel is locked when turned off and key is out, it hasn't been addressed.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Franko
Instructor

CLB installed 14 years ago in my 2000 no problems at all.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Good news: Just checked and wheel does NOT lock (saves one step in the install process). Still waiting for USPS (ooo! Is that a truck I hear?! YES! Yes it was!).
Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Damn! Just junk mail. Supposedly it'll be here by 3PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Take a look at this thread in case you run into the same issue. Might or might not. If you do, note that if you remove the key and wait at least 10 seconds you will clear the issue for that occurrence. If you do, contact Compliance Parts for further help..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ling-lmc5.html
Thanks. Good to know. Richard told me to check for the column actually locking and referred to that [often overlooked, apparently] portion of the instructions. It was a relief to find that it doesn't lock.

Just checked both drain lines -- both are clear; remarkably so. Made sure everything was lining up, too. Just carrying on with the waiting game (probably should have spend the extra for FedEx, but Next Day is supposed to be here by 3PM).
Old 08-20-2014, 01:17 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I tried to rush the job, got a couple wires switched, and Richard saved my ***. I ended up calling him 3 times, then a 4th just to tell him it was all good and to thank him yet again.

I can't say enough about the ease of install and level of personal service I got calling him. He answered the phone and all my stupid questions. No hold time, now wait, just service. And he didn't even make me feel like an idiot.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Installed... took my time, took maybe 20-25 minutes, had the video handy. Hardest part was reconnecting negative battery terminal (man! that is in a LOUSY spot!). Fired up, no codes. Time for a test drive.

Test drive in the books, so far so good. Back at the homestead (just in case) -- time to drop the roof and enjoy the rest of the afternoon. Last day of vacay is tomorrow.

Last edited by CarriageTownVette; 08-20-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Irritated beyond belief: Service Column Lock

Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Okay, so after all that I put the roof down in preparation for the long test drive. When I started it up, I got the "pull key, wait 10 seconds" message. I did so while I forced myself not to contemplate suicide. About 15 seconds later, started right up, no issues. I tested by going back and forth in the driveway to make sure it wouldn't crap out. I then drove 74 miles over 2-1/2 hours, but dared not shut it off (even while I had to wait for a draw bridge). Got home, shut it down, restarted, no issues. Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 AM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

At this point I'd recommend you deal with the vendor for any abnormality...I'm told he is very responsive.

Bob
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 PM
yoymon
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarriageTownVette
Okay, so after all that I put the roof down in preparation for the long test drive. When I started it up, I got the "pull key, wait 10 seconds" message. I did so while I forced myself not to contemplate suicide. About 15 seconds later, started right up, no issues. I tested by going back and forth in the driveway to make sure it wouldn't crap out. I then drove 74 miles over 2-1/2 hours, but dared not shut it off (even while I had to wait for a draw bridge). Got home, shut it down, restarted, no issues. Thoughts?
wondering if the battery has a draw on it for some other problem, that is if this error message is still something that would appear with the lmc5 installed and a low battery
ordered my lmc5 Monday..just got shipped today supposed to have by Monday, ive gotten that message about pull key but only when the car has been sitting for a few weeks and maybe battery not full

Quick Reply: Irritated beyond belief: Service Column Lock