Sponsored by:

Parking Lot Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
But there is something far more dangerous than a 16 year old boy driving a corvette with 300HP.... the soccer Mom driving her minivan at 60 mph while texting, digging in her purse for a kleenex or turning around to yell at the kids screaming in the back seat. At 60mph the soccer Mom is traveling at a velocity of 88 feet per second. She looks down to text for 3.4 seconds and has travelled the length of a football field. She then plows into the car in front of her that has stopped for the redlight never touching her brakes.
I had the exact same thing happen to me except I was at a dead stop in rush hour traffic and the woman was only going 55 when her Expedition plowed into the back of my '03 Monte Carlo. I am now permanently disabled and have spent the past nine years recovering from the 20+ surgeries I had to endure and doing whatever it took to regain my ability to stand and walk for more than a minute or two.

I agree. This type of driver is much more of a menace.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by zdeckich
So nobody ever had a corvette in high school in the 50's-80's or just jealous because you didn't have one? My dads first car when he was 17 was a 66 440 Coronet and his friend had a 66 Corvette. its not unheard of for a high school kid to have a corvette. Believe it or not but some kids are mature enough to have a car like this. But back to the OP there isn't much you can do. Maybe a car cover to hide it lol.

...one in a million...some spoiled little bastich...
Old 08-19-2014, 02:52 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

WOW!! I bet the OP wasn't expecting five pages of running commentary when he asked a simple question!!!!!

DSTURBD
Old 08-19-2014, 02:57 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I had the exact same thing happen to me except I was at a dead stop in rush hour traffic and the woman was only going 55 when her Expedition plowed into the back of my '03 Monte Carlo. I am now permanently disabled and have spent the past nine years recovering from the 20+ surgeries I had to endure and doing whatever it took to regain my ability to stand and walk for more than a minute or two.

I agree. This type of driver is much more of a menace.
Wow sorry to hear that!

Similar thing happen to me. I was in my first car I bought myself, 2002 Camaro SS, I worked just to be able to afford it. I was 19 so still fairly young. I babied that thing and if your kid was taught to respect the car he will do the same with his corvette. I was sitting at a stop light, one way and 3 cars back from the first one. The light turns green and as I enter intersection a guy texting plows my car. Lucky I reacted quick enough to only have my front bumper hit but he was doing 40 and he did a 360 after hitting me and flew about 30-40ft from me because of the angle/speed. Half a second delay on my part I could of been dead! I thank god today I am alive!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

One of the bigger questions is whether or not the 16 y.o. can afford the car....

Might not have a car payment proper, but at 65$ per tank of gas, 80$+ oil changes, 250$ each tires, plus insurance for a new driver on a sports car...

adds up pretty quick, easy to become 'car poor' really fast, especially at a (stereotypical) teenager minimum wage job.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by aj98
One of the bigger questions is whether or not the 16 y.o. can afford the car....

Might not have a car payment proper, but at 65$ per tank of gas, 80$+ oil changes, 250$ each tires, plus insurance for a new driver on a sports car...

adds up pretty quick, easy to become 'car poor' really fast, especially at a (stereotypical) teenager minimum wage job.

Reading this thread I don't think the kid has to worry about any of that.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:36 PM
The_Gray_Ghost
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, what a mixed bag this one is.

On the one hand, yeah....a Corvette, Camaro, Muscle Car In General + 16 year old kids USUALLY = disaster.

However, not always. The fact that his kid is concerned with the well being of the car tells me he at least wants to take care of the car...and that's how we all got started isn't it?

"Keep it washed" and "Don't ding it" turns into "Which exhaust/intake?" and "Got my new headers installed!" It's car guy evolution, and I like it.

IMO, if the kid asked no questions and just drove it to school, you'd have a bigger problem. Besides, it's his son. Only he knows whether or not the kid can handle it.

OP, I support your decision...but unfortunately, there's really no way to keep the car safe at school.

Side note: My first car was an '81 Mustang 4 banger with rusted through floor pans and no A/C. In Texas.

Yeah. I can pretty much assemble and disassemble Mustangs at this point, and much of that started by keeping that car on the road. However, I remember treating that car like it was the newest Ferrari. Washed it daily, took it out to the green belt and learned to launch it and drive a manual trans, etc. And when I finally saved up for the GT, that was a proud day for me.

Sorry....man....got me thinking of the good days. OP, good luck to you and your son.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Oklahoma Adam
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I got my first Corvette just before my 17th birthday and drove it to school almost every day. I parked it in the most plain sight spot I could get. Someone did shoot paint ***** at it once but for the most part I never had any problems. Never found out who shot it either, have a HS reunion coming up in Oct. might have to ask around.

To all the guys that think a 16 year old should drive some beater, the only ticket I ever got back then was in a POS Pontiac Grand Prix. My Mom and Dad did a great job raising me and trusted me to have a Corvette and I didn't want to lose that trust.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

While I agree that in general, MOST 16 year-olds are not mature enough for a C5 Corvette, there are exceptions to every rule. Not sure if your son is one of those exceptions or not, but apparently you believe so and who am I to doubt you?

Your son is a lucky young man! Hopefully, he will be as responsible with the car as you think he will be.

Now, if he is person that really cares about his car, he is (unfortunately) soon going to learn a few lessons about human behavior. Namely, about the carelessness and jealousy of others.

The only way to prevent his Corvette from becoming a victim of the above is to keep it home and only take it out when he can be with it.

If he is going to leave it in parking lots all over town, there's not much you can do to protect it.

I wish him (and you) good luck!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by aj98 View Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Reading this thread I don't think the kid has to worry about any of that.

True.

(BUT)

I make the point b/c when I bought my C7, the dealer seriously lowballed the trade value, telling me it would go to wholesalers or the crusher.

GF offered more than the dealer did...so it still lives in my driveway, and I still get to drive it when I feel like going retro

Her eventual goal is to give it to her 17 y.o. daughter (once she gets more experience with the 4rd sedan.) Meantime mom has a really cool pseudo-convertible to tool around in.

Conceptually, a great idea, but now mom is rethinking it as she begins to understand the financial reality of owning a C-(anything), and realizing the cost is likely going to fall back on (the parent(s)).
Or fearing the child will ultimately sell the car b/c it is not affordable on a still in college income.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:34 AM
JustinZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have personally seen when some kids are given crappy old cars they get the impression that this is an old pos who cares if it gets banged up, beat on, or driven the crap out of it.

More than likely the OP has been around cars, taken care of them and showed them respect over the years Im sure his son has picked up on that and will cherish his vette like his father has.

Above all him and his son will have a hobby they can share together.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinZO6
I have personally seen when some kids are given crappy old cars they get the impression that this is an old pos who cares if it gets banged up, beat on, or driven the crap out of it.

More than likely the OP has been around cars, taken care of them and showed them respect over the years Im sure his son has picked up on that and will cherish his vette like his father has.

Above all him and his son will have a hobby they can share together.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Adam
I got my first Corvette just before my 17th birthday and drove it to school almost every day. I parked it in the most plain sight spot I could get. Someone did shoot paint ***** at it once but for the most part I never had any problems. Never found out who shot it either, have a HS reunion coming up in Oct. might have to ask around.

To all the guys that think a 16 year old should drive some beater, the only ticket I ever got back then was in a POS Pontiac Grand Prix. My Mom and Dad did a great job raising me and trusted me to have a Corvette and I didn't want to lose that trust.
Well Said! and thanks for the vote of confidence in the actual subject, the parking
Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The problem here is his piers... when all of his friends are vying for the attention of the ladies.. 16 year olds seems to know how to level the playing field . Kids at 16 will be kids, and that just how it is... while many 16 year olds are brought up right and have respect for others... many do not.. so the corvette at school is a target waiting for some jealous kid or kids looking to get a laugh at the expense of this 16 year old and also kids at 16 are always doing the Can you top this with outrageousness " the corvette is a perfect target. I doubt the Corvette will get though two years of high school , unscathed.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
...why in the heck would someone buy their 16 year old child a Corvette...its beyond me
Not be ugly .. but .. IMO too much car for a sixteen yr old to start out driving - they need a dependable less powerful car for first couple of years until they get some driving experience - maybe (a big maybe) then get them something like the C5. As far as protection in school parking lot - there ain't much that can be done about that except don't drive it to school.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:36 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The problem here is his piers... when all of his friends are vying for the attention of the ladies.. 16 year olds seems to know how to level the playing field . Kids at 16 will be kids, and that just how it is... while many 16 year olds are brought up right and have respect for others... many do not.. so the corvette at school is a target waiting for some jealous kid or kids looking to get a laugh at the expense of this 16 year old and also kids at 16 are always doing the Can you top this with outrageousness " the corvette is a perfect target. I doubt the Corvette will get though two years of high school , unscathed.
Piers can be a bitch. Remember in Risky Business........
Old 08-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
Not be ugly .. but .. IMO too much car for a sixteen yr old to start out driving
Depends on the 16 year-old. Many are more than responsible enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Lot Protection

Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

Beater for school. Keep the sports car at home.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette505
Just bought my son a C5 for his sweet sixteen. He loves the car but now I find he is worried about the possibility of some kids being jealous at school and keying his car in the parking lot. Any tips on how to avoid that and ease his mind? All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
-------
All he can do is to take the normal precautions many take to avoid door dings: park in a far corner of the lot away from other cars; is there security camera coverage? If so, park in the area within camera coverage. If some idiot is intent on vandalizing his car, at least make it a bit more difficult. As a side note, congratulations on having a son who has obviously earned your trust. He sounds like a great kid.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mickey!

Quick Reply: Parking Lot Protection