Sponsored by:

Parking Lot Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Parking lot protection? The simple fact is once you park the car and walk away from it, you lose all control over what another person may do to it.

Think about it - would you drive your C6 to his school and leave it unattended all day long in the student parking lot? If you permit the young man drive the car to school, I would make an agreement with him that he is responsible for whatever he exposes the car to, and if the car is damaged, he is responsible for promptly repairiing it out of his own pocket before it can be driven again. Might make him think twice about keeping the car home. Some kids will embrace that responsibilty, some kids aren't so concerned about what happens to something that is given to them.

When I was faced with some of those same decisions with my daughter, I made it known to her that I will trust until I'm shown my trust is misplaced. Worked every time.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts

We got my son a C4 when he was a senior. We already had a car that he was using for back and forth, so the Vette stayed in the garage during school hours and he continued to use the other car for school. It, by the way, was hit multiple times in the school parking lot. He did drive the Vette back to school in the afternoons for band or tennis, never a problem then.

As for the Vette at 16, I told him if he ever got in trouble for being stupid with it, it would be gone. I did also tell him that all my friends will know his car, so if someone sees him, I will know. Marcus was very responsible with the car and never had any problems. He now at 25 drives a Z16.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think your sons attitude at his school about having a vette will go a long way towards keeping it from being vandalized.If he shows off or braggs about the car it will cause resentment,If he is liked and respected socially and has good friends that will also help.He must have some very nice parentFred
Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,480 Likes on 14,071 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I will agree with those that recommend getting him a beater car for commuting to school and keep the C5 at home for use after school and on weekends. Why take chances with a fine car like that at a school parking lot?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

.....on so many levels
Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
Keep the car at home. A 16 year old needs 3 things in a car; Big, Slow, and Ugly.
I've never met a teenager mature enough to handle the responsibility of a Sports Car. And it is a responsibility. Not a toy.
Best of luck.

No way in hell would I get my 16 year old a Corvette. I remember how I was at 16 and probably would not be alive today if my folks had bought me one. I see a real bad ending to this story.

Last edited by JR-01; 08-16-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know you or your son at all, and this is not answer to your question you asked for an opinion on but.... I think the statement below is probably the best one so far!

Originally Posted by corvettekent
You should not be worried about the car getting keyed, but you should be worried about him keeping it out of the ditch.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dad bought me a V8 H.O. Trans Am as my first car. Still have it 12 years later in better shape than it came. Depends on so many factors, that no one on here can tell, if the kid is responsible enough to have a powerful rear wheel drive car. I made it with no accidents. The C5 is a much safer car with traction control and air bags.

My opinion is to give your son a talk about not being smug. He should work on making friends, not enemies. And those that do not have parents that can afford a nice corvette for them should not be made to feel like they have less. Explain to him that you gave him the car, he didn't earn it himself, and you can take it away if you see fit.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Tru Blu
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette505
Just bought my son a C5 for his sweet sixteen. He loves the car but now I find he is worried about the possibility of some kids being jealous at school and keying his car in the parking lot. Any tips on how to avoid that and ease his mind? All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Obviously you love your son and want to do something nice for him. Good on you for that. However, I don't think it's a good idea to buy a 16 year old a Corvette. In fact, I don't really even think it's a good idea to outright buy a 16 year old any car. Here's a suggestion. Instead, lend them enough money to buy a modest car that suits a 16 year old, and have them pay you back over time with low payments that fit within a part time job. Heck, make the loan interest free even. To me that is enough help and also teaches them the value of money, the value of working for something and owning your own stuff. It also helps them to start to grow up a little. I realize everyone has their own philosophy on this but that's what I did and I think it makes sense. But, just my opinion. I realize others may have different ways of looking at things.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tru Blu
Obviously you love your son and want to do something nice for him. Good on you for that. However, I don't think it's a good idea to buy a 16 year old a Corvette. In fact, I don't really even think it's a good idea to outright buy a 16 year old any car. Here's a suggestion. Instead, lend them enough money to buy a modest car that suits a 16 year old, and have them pay you back over time with low payments that fit within a part time job. Heck, make the loan interest free even. To me that is enough help and also teaches them the value of money, the value of working for something and owning your own stuff. It also helps them to start to grow up a little. I realize everyone has their own philosophy on this but that's what I did and I think it makes sense. But, just my opinion. I realize others may have different ways of looking at things.

In my entire life I have never observed spoiling a kid turning out to be a good thing.

Last edited by JR-01; 08-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys, what's done is done the car is bought and the kid has it. So it's a little late for advice on if he should or should not give his kid a corvette. I'm pretty sure mr. Corvette 505 was teenage boy himself and knows all about being teenager. We don't know his kid or his relationship with him. I grew up a car lovers son and always had the coolest car in school. 68 camaro, 67' mustang conv. and a few others. I respected my cars they were my pride and joy and that's where 95%of my free time and money went so maybe this kid and his dad are similar. Either way the dude asked for advice on how to keep the car safe not on how he should parent his own kid.

My advice for ya on the subject you asked about is this.
Since ya can't really give a kid a car like that and tell him he can't drive it cause god that would suck. It is great car but come one it's not a new car. Things are going to happen, it's going to get scratched and dinged in time. If ya want a museum piece don't drive it but I don't think ya do. He wants to drive it so do that and park with as much common sense as possible.

Most schools now have cameras and security that keeps an eye on the parking lot. Tell him not to rub it in peoples faces be humble and polite about his wicked new ride. Sure some kids are still going to dix's but if your cool for the most part they will be too and probably wanna be friends with the corvette kid. Besides think of it this way I'm pretty sure everybody will know who's car it is so if someone does something stupid and gets seen they gonna get busted. But if it happens it happens just don't do anything to bring it on. As a parent of a 13yo I'm almost scared to ask what they hit ya at for insurance on him. But you always have that to fall back on if something nasty happens in the parking lot.

If your really paranoid you could put a go pro or something in the car to record any activity around it.

Good luck man, make sure he buckles up and keeps all 4 wheels on the ground.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:46 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

a lot of hating for a father who clearly loves and wants the best for his kid.

Life is short, and as long as your kid is doing what hes supposed to be doing then its good to reward him and allow him to enjoy life while he can.

I think you should tell your son that sometimes things happen, and we cant always control them or avoid them , but that the main thing is not to live in fear or worry all the time.

Tell him to drive the vette and not to worry about the 'what ifs', and if any issues come up you can worry about it at that time, and you will be there for him to lend some support if need be.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
a lot of hating for a father who clearly loves and wants the best for his kid.

Life is short, and as long as your kid is doing what hes supposed to be doing then its good to reward him and allow him to enjoy life while he can.

I think you should tell your son that sometimes things happen, and we cant always control them or avoid them , but that the main thing is not to live in fear or worry all the time.

Tell him to drive the vette and not to worry about the 'what ifs', and if any issues come up you can worry about it at that time, and you will be there for him to lend some support if need be.
I don't see any hating at all. We just have a different opinion of what's best for kids and to remind the parent that he will be responsible for everything that happens from the moment he gave the car to his kid. Personally I think it's irresponsible. When I was in High School the richest family in town gave their son a brand new 69 Shelby GT 500 for his 16th birthday. Of course he was eventually going to find out how fast it really was. He did just that and wrapped it around a tree killing another classmate of mine. Perhaps that is what shaped my opinion.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:06 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Corvette505
Just bought my son a C5 for his sweet sixteen. He loves the car but now I find he is worried about the possibility of some kids being jealous at school and keying his car in the parking lot. Any tips on how to avoid that and ease his mind? All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
You bought the car. You might as well spend a little more and wrap it in a product like xPel Wrap. It should give you peace of mind regarding keying and such.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 PM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Tell him not to **** any body off...
Don't give some dudes chick a ride home...
Old 08-16-2014, 05:52 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

As to how to protect the car from careless drivers or vandalism in a school parking lot, not much can be done other than things mentioned here such as making sure your kid is responsible and doesn't act like a douche towards his schoolmates.

However, not all 16 year old kids get carried away with performance cars. After a long hard fight by my mom, my step-dad's '68 Mustang was the family car I had access to for work and recreation. My friends were always trying to get me to do stupid stuff like racing and burnouts, etc. I was a serious car guy and the last thing I wanted to do was to lose my privileges to the Mustang!! So, I drove it properly, obeyed all traffic laws and thoroughly enjoyed the car to the point that much later my step-dad was very impressed and trusted me with his car implicitly. (And I can tell you, he didn't like me much or respect me in any other way!!)

I am a school teacher and my '99 coupe is my DD and is parked in a school lot every day. Everybody admires it and I don't worry too much about it. I have gotten some minor scratches on the hood, as if somebody sat on it for pics or something (could also have been a tumble weed as we have lots of those), but it is a DD and those things are likely to happen anywhere, not just school. It is probably a little different as I am a teacher rather than a student. Also, ours is a small rural school where most students are not strangers to hard work and many personally own high value livestock so they have a more mature attitude toward the property of others.

Don't assume that because he is 16, he's a fatal accident waiting to happen!!

DSTURBD
Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
You bought the car. You might as well spend a little more and wrap it in a product like xPel Wrap. It should give you peace of mind regarding keying and such.
Might prevent door dings and stone chips, but it's not going to prevent damage from vandalism.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Lot Protection

Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

I'm a little surprised the OP has to even ask such a question. Being that he owns a Corvette, he surely knows the answer.

When a person makes the choice to purchase/own a Corvette (or any other desirable car), they have accepted all the highs and lows that go along with owning the car.

Remember that we can't always control the things that happen to us (and/or our possessions), but we can always control how we choose to react. If the wind blows you off course, simply adjust your sails...choose your attitude...and be positive!

Last edited by FrankLP; 08-16-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

One of the neighbor kids has a +\-8 year old M3 that he loves too much to park at the local community college so he channeled the Blues Brothers and drives a flat black Ford Crown Victoria former police cruiser to school, cop motor, cop brakes, cop suspension!

Last edited by Guard Dad; 08-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
One of the neighbor kids has a +\-8 year old M3 that he loves too much to park at I the local community college so he channeled the Blues Brothers and drives a flat black Ford Crown Victoria former police cruiser to school, cop motor, cop brakes, cop suspension!
Awesome!!!!!!

DSTURBD

Quick Reply: Parking Lot Protection