Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new way to fix POWER FRONT HEAD LAMPS?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:42 PM
techristian
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default A new way to fix POWER FRONT HEAD LAMPS?

My power headlamp on my drivers side would not open up. After checking all of the fuses, I noticed a rubber boot labelled "Remove for manual adjustment" So I removed the boot, cranked it all of the way, until the lamp was fully opened. Next I turned on the light. UP popped the right side headlamp.....which was what I expected, but when I turned the lights off, to my surprise, both lamps went down and now the drivers side headlamp SEEMS to be fixed. (Worked several times as I turned the lights on and off.) Do I need to make any further adjustments? The hand crank seems to be tight.

Dan
Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gears could be a little worn in one spot and by turning it by hand you temporarily fixed it? That's my best guess. I know that brass replacement gears can be installed if that turns out to be the issue.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you run into the problem again, just replace the plastic gears with brass ones.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 PM
bj454ss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem. Your new fix will only work while you are turning the lights off and on.

If you let the lights sit closed for a while the motors will over tighten and the lights will not open when turned on. I will be willing to be your motors already have the brass gears.

The root of your problem is the bump stops have worn out causing the motor to over tighten when closed. I have replaced the bump stops twice since changing to the brass gears. The brass gears cause the motors to close hard wearing out the plastic bump stops practically crushing the plastic stops after only a few uses.

I wish there was a bump stop made out of hard rubber instead of plastic. I bet this would fix the problem of the plastic stops being crushed when the lights are closed.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

My pass side headlamp don't work. I can lift it by hand w/no resistance. There's no rubber "boot" on my black twist **** and it just turns and turns nothing happens. Very weird.. I got a dickman brass kit, I hope that will fix my headlamp.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have been having a similar problem. I already installed the Dickman brass gear a few years ago. The light has worked fine all this time until recently. Now when I turn on the lights only the right side opens which still has the original plastic gear. This light has never had a problem. If I crank the left h/l by hand, once up, it will work fine for a little while. The with no warning it will stop working. It is on even though it is still down. I haven't done anything about it yet, because I wasn't sure to look for. The motor still works so I know it's not that. Is it the bump stops or as someone in the tech section said, do I need to open up the motor and clean it? How do you repair the bumpstops or where do you get new ones? I'd like to get this fixed finally. The light acting up is the same one that the gear has been replaced on.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 AM
vollmi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If you run into the problem again, just replace the plastic gears with brass ones.
For one time it is also possible to loose the Gearshaft from the lampmechanik then manualy crank like you will open the lamp again. Until the Gearshaft (where the lampmechanik was attached) turned 180°. Then reconnect the lampmechanik to the shaft.

Now you use the unworn tooths of the gear for again 10 years

mfG René
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bj454ss
I am having the same problem. Your new fix will only work while you are turning the lights off and on.

If you let the lights sit closed for a while the motors will over tighten and the lights will not open when turned on. I will be willing to be your motors already have the brass gears.

The root of your problem is the bump stops have worn out causing the motor to over tighten when closed. I have replaced the bump stops twice since changing to the brass gears. The brass gears cause the motors to close hard wearing out the plastic bump stops practically crushing the plastic stops after only a few uses.

I wish there was a bump stop made out of hard rubber instead of plastic. I bet this would fix the problem of the plastic stops being crushed when the lights are closed.
Rather than using the plastic "bump stops", try using a rubber hose
cut about a half an inch. Purchased about two feet at Discount Auto Parts for a couple bucks.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM
thealien
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are those bump stops?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

My 02 vert did the same thing yesterday when I was leaving the Moose Club after a few cocktails. Didn't want to drive with only one light so I opend the left one manually. Worked fine a few times after I got home
Old 08-06-2014, 09:27 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

If I find that I need new bump stops, can they be purchased anywhere? Or will it be better to try small pieces of rubber hose? I haven't checked out my headlight yet. I use my car often and need time to get it out.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by thealien
Where are those bump stops?
could somebody post a pic ?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Not my photo - but this shows the bump stops.

Not my photo - but this shows the bump stops.
Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Most common failure are the nylon gears inside the motors.

If the rubber stops were bad then the headlight will close but open back up.

The rubber stops are located next to the motor towards the inside of the headlamp. They are attached to the headlight door linkage and are white in color. They wear down over time and eventually the edge breaks off and the linkage then keeps going around causing the headlight to open back up.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:34 PM
techristian
Racer

So last night I went to turn on my headlights and only the right side came up so I shut them off and back on again and VOILA ...they worked ok.

Dan
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM
mesa red
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvette central sells them.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:18 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by techristian
So last night I went to turn on my headlights and only the right side came up so I shut them off and back on again and VOILA ...they worked ok.

Dan
It's only a matter of time until your gear is finally stripped fully.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM
techristian
Racer

Originally Posted by techristian

Dan
Same thing happened last night.

Dan
Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM
kennedy759
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

we corvette owners are lucky in that we can take apart the h/l motor assemble to change the gear, on my 94 firebird formula I had to break the cover off at the seam and epoxy it back together after changing the gear, of course the epoxy did not hold and I had to try and keep in closed with zip ties. not good

Get notified of new replies

To A new way to fix POWER FRONT HEAD LAMPS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A new way to fix POWER FRONT HEAD LAMPS?