Sponsored by:

Manual transmission can't/won't reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Laoness
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission can't/won't reverse

My 2000 c5 6-speed trans. was not able to slide into the reverse gear position. Read stuff on line, was scared of the scenario when people was talking a tear down and rebuild. It just felt like there was something blocking the gear. It just got progressively worse, finally gave up then checkout craigslists for mobile mechanics. Didn't want it tolled (got AAA). 3 Romanian brothers came over, oldest brother explained that he has done similar trans. before. Got it fixed, for $85. Can't beat that! This specialize shop that worked on it last (CIN motors) N.Carolina. replaced master cylinder. Parts under warranty so free, but guess what, labor was not! Can you believe that?! Didn't tell me how much til work was done = $400. Bulls&*%t. Trans. never felt precise like it did, reverse needed extra effort than usual. It turns out to be lose parts, the craigslists just tighten things up and added some grease.That's it! Lesson learned, don't think some fancy shop is there to help you, but robbed you. And don't think the worst cause it maybe somethink simple.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:07 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

where are you located?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:22 PM
pete-paz
Instructor

had that with my work car and needed a new clutch. cost me $1300 installed (07 Hyundai Tuscon) that was at 170k and i am up to 263k now running like a champ. not sure how it is on the vette but either way sounds like you will have to get in to the guts and see what's going on
Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Laoness
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN
where are you located?
Around Charlotte area. Spent more than a couple thousands $ with those guys. The craigslist boys were better! Will use them again.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Laoness
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pete-paz
had that with my work car and needed a new clutch. cost me $1300 installed (07 Hyundai Tuscon) that was at 170k and i am up to 263k now running like a champ. not sure how it is on the vette but either way sounds like you will have to get in to the guts and see what's going on
Got 135k on the 2000 vette, but now the gears shift so much better-$85. No tear downs needed, thanks heaven for that. Next car to mess with is my 2003 BMW 530i. Cars can and will make you broke. But everyone has their addictions.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Laoness
4th Gear

Just got my sway bar end links replaced. The car was feeling lose when doing hard turns. Old ones were worn out badly. These new metal ones(originals were mostly rubber) should do it, feels tighter. Parts $103 for set of 4 labor was $65 and done in less than an hour by my man Abdul!

Get notified of new replies

To Manual transmission can't/won't reverse

Quick Reply: Manual transmission can't/won't reverse