Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best stockish tire for drag racing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Slowmotion559
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the best stockish tire for drag racing.

Ok, so I plan on driving my 01 coupe 99% of the time and 1% on the dragstrip. I know drag radials would be best for the strip but who has had good experiences with a stock radial tire?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:17 AM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowmotion559
Ok, so I plan on driving my 01 coupe 99% of the time and 1% on the dragstrip. I know drag radials would be best for the strip but who has had good experiences with a stock radial tire?
Naturally expensive, but I'm running the Michelin PS2's. Great tire.

1.9 60ft's takin it easy at the track(LS6 clutch was on the floor after cleaning them off). Heard good things about the NT05's, which are a good bit cheaper.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

on stock wheels?

bridgestone re11

excellent performing tire with enough traction to easily hook first from a dig. handle great and will go 20k miles with a decent alignment

for stock coupe wheels and stock sizes this is the hot tire

Last edited by racebum; 07-30-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cheesecake 07
Naturally expensive, but I'm running the Michelin PS2's. Great tire.

1.9 60ft's takin it easy at the track(LS6 clutch was on the floor after cleaning them off). Heard good things about the NT05's, which are a good bit cheaper.
neither are made for the coupe wheels anymore

not sure the nt05 ever was
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Grab a set of Z06 wheels and throw on a set of NT05s.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Old 07-30-2014, 07:49 AM
meine96ws6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitto 555r
Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by racebum
on stock wheels?

bridgestone re11

excellent performing tire with enough traction to easily hook first from a dig. handle great and will go 20k miles with a decent alignment

for stock coupe wheels and stock sizes this is the hot tire

Another vote for the RE-11's.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Slowmotion559
Intermediate

I'm looking to keep my stock rims. They are the thin 5 spokes. Right now I have a set of Sumitmo tires on the car because that's what was on when I bought it. My best 60' with those was a 2.0743 through an auto trans. The car weighed 3335 with me in it and 1/2 tank of gas. I love the drivability and it gets better gas mileage than my Tahoe. Looking for a better stock tire to to help cut my 60'. My best 1/4 mile time so far on my one and only time to the track was 12.9097 @107.91. Looking for more of a radail because I will be driving in the mountains and to the coast and then to the track.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by jcsperson
why? the re11 is a better tire and he likes the wheels he has
Old 07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Get a 2nd pair of rear wheels, and put some real drag radials on them for the days you go to the track.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Atlas Bucrons oh that was back in the old days

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-tires.291432/

Last edited by nutseynut7; 07-30-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM
vettestream
Racer

I'm looking to keep my stock rims. They are the thin 5 spokes. Right now I have a set of Sumitmo tires on the car because that's what was on when I bought it. My best 60' with those was a 2.0743 through an auto trans. The car weighed 3335 with me in it and 1/2 tank of gas. I love the drivability and it gets better gas mileage than my Tahoe. Looking for a better stock tire to to help cut my 60'. My best 1/4 mile time so far on my one and only time to the track was 12.9097 @107.91. Looking for more of a radail because I will be driving in the mountains and to the coast and then to the track.
What Sumitomo's do you have? I ran consistent 1.8 60' with HTRZII's and they were a great tire for daily driving/ back road driving when I had my stock wheels, they are also a great price. I've also heard great things about the Ventus-v12 tires ( if you are looking to keep the spending low)

I now run the significantly more expensive Michelin Pilot Super sports, and I am not sold on them yet. RE'11's are also a great tire, and I will likely go with those next.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 PM
10sec89
Advanced

My track set up is a wore out set of 315/35/17 Toyo TQ drag radials mounted on Pontiac WS6 wheels. Good for 1.70 60ft on a hot slick track. I also run these on my 03 Cobra and I can hook 1st gear from a 20mph roll on the street....that car makes 527rwhp/537rwtq Video of said car below.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...11169548183893

Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettestream
What Sumitomo's do you have? I ran consistent 1.8 60' with HTRZII's and they were a great tire for daily driving/ back road driving when I had my stock wheels, they are also a great price. I've also heard great things about the Ventus-v12 tires ( if you are looking to keep the spending low)

I now run the significantly more expensive Michelin Pilot Super sports, and I am not sold on them yet. RE'11's are also a great tire, and I will likely go with those next.
have you gone around a corner? the true beauty of the pss is how predictable it is. braking is stellar, if you come into a corner a bit too hot the tire is very easy to counter, extremely easy to drive at the limit. it's also fast as hell in the rain and will not run away from you.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Slowmotion559
Intermediate

I have the HTRZ II's. I'm glad to know that they still have a couple .10's left in them. Guess it's time to work on getting the launch down. My drag car is an older Camaro so learning how to launch this car has been a little different. Plus it's been almost 8 years since I've had any seat time at the track so I'm sure after a couple more outings I'll have it figured out. Thanks for all the imput. When these tires are fry'd I'll give one of the other tires suggested a try and so on.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM
vettestream
Racer

have you gone around a corner? the true beauty of the pss is how predictable it is. braking is stellar, if you come into a corner a bit too hot the tire is very easy to counter, extremely easy to drive at the limit. it's also fast as hell in the rain and will not run away from you.
Yea, I actually picked them up for cornering ( I previously had R888's on my other wheels which I really liked, but the tread-wear was a bit much)

Sadly my issue with the PSS is that after just 5000 miles they are at the wear bars, I have filed a claim with Michelin and will be getting them inspected by an authorized dealer ( per Michelin terms for the 20,000 mile warranty).

I am hoping they will make it right, also the car is/was in perfect alignment. Talking to some Porsche guys at a local meet this past weekend it sounds like some others have had issues with premature wear, hoping I just got a bad batch, as the tires have been receiving rave reviews, and I really enjoyed them when I first got them.

I have the HTRZ II's. I'm glad to know that they still have a couple .10's left in them. Guess it's time to work on getting the launch down. My drag car is an older Camaro so learning how to launch this car has been a little different. Plus it's been almost 8 years since I've had any seat time at the track so I'm sure after a couple more outings I'll have it figured out. Thanks for all the imput. When these tires are fry'd I'll give one of the other tires suggested a try and so on.
Yea just find what works best, are you warming the tires at all? When I ran the HTRZ II's I would drive through the water box and do a quick clean of the tires (no burnout) to warm them up, I was running 28 psi and it seemed to work well for me.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the best stockish tire for drag racing.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Slowmotion559
Intermediate

I didn't do a burnout and I was running 34 lbs of tire pressure. Your idea of cleaning the tires off is a good one and I'll lower my tire pressure too. Thanks for the advise.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettestream
Yea, I actually picked them up for cornering ( I previously had R888's on my other wheels which I really liked, but the tread-wear was a bit much)

Sadly my issue with the PSS is that after just 5000 miles they are at the wear bars, I have filed a claim with Michelin and will be getting them inspected by an authorized dealer ( per Michelin terms for the 20,000 mile warranty).

I am hoping they will make it right, also the car is/was in perfect alignment. Talking to some Porsche guys at a local meet this past weekend it sounds like some others have had issues with premature wear, hoping I just got a bad batch, as the tires have been receiving rave reviews, and I really enjoyed them when I first got them.

Yea just find what works best, are you warming the tires at all? When I ran the HTRZ II's I would drive through the water box and do a quick clean of the tires (no burnout) to warm them up, I was running 28 psi and it seemed to work well for me.
something is wrong with tire or your alignment and i would suspect alignment. i have 7k miles on a set of pss tires and am still at 8/32nds

there is no such thing as perfect alignment either. typically a lot of toe is what scrubs tires premature. did you have the car re aligned to decent numbers once you installed these tires? tire changes have a big impact on alignment and should be done with each new set of tires

i know multiple guys on this tire and none of us are having a wear problem. get the lifetime alignment at firestone and have them set the specs with you in the car with each new set of tires. i'm not sure if it's just how tires sit on the wheel or what but i've seen up to 1/4" toe changes with different sets of tires. that's enough to waste street tires fast. some guys seem to think if the car drives straight the alignment is good, nothing could be further from the truth

Last edited by racebum; 07-31-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 AM
vettestream
Racer

something is wrong with tire or your alignment and i would suspect alignment. i have 7k miles on a set of pss tires and am still at 8/32nds

there is no such thing as perfect alignment either. typically a lot of toe is what scrubs tires premature. did you have the car re aligned to decent numbers once you installed these tires? tire changes have a big impact on alignment and should be done with each new set of tires

i know multiple guys on this tire and none of us are having a wear problem. get the lifetime alignment at firestone and have them set the specs with you in the car with each new set of tires. i'm not sure if it's just how tires sit on the wheel or what but i've seen up to 1/4" toe changes with different sets of tires. that's enough to waste street tires fast. some guys seem to think if the car drives straight the alignment is good, nothing could be further from the truth

I had the car aligned twice since putting the tires on, once when I initially got the tires, and once again when I noticed how fast they were wearing, I used Pfadt's alignment specs(performance street), so alignment does not seem to be an issue. I have run several other tires on my car( run craps, r888, Nito 555's, PS2's, sumitimos) and always get an alignment right away, and these are the only ones that have given me an issue. Anyway I've filed a claim with Michelin so I will see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: What are the best stockish tire for drag racing.