Sponsored by:

Is it time to sell my Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

While some yell "foul" here because my car lives outside, I did seriously consider clearing out the garage for the 'Vette. But then I started thinking about the hassle of moving one or two cars first, opening the "difficult-to-open" garage door.....getting in the car, moving it, getting out of the car, close the garage door, move other car(s) back into the driveway etc.......

So my car lives outside where I see it.....and DRIVE it. Keep 'er waxed and clean....no problem.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 PM
lake_bueller
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost the opposite with my Vette vs. motorcycle. With all the crazy/distracted drivers, I find myself driving my motorcycle less. It's much easier to hop in the car and put that top down.

That being said....I've often asked myself if I should sell my motorcycles. Then I go for a ride and say "Why would I ever sell this machine".

Go out for a spirited drive and you'll quickly remember what made you get the Vette in the first place.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:23 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Corvette
Idk why you say this you dont know me or my past just saying... i have always been a gear head
True I don't know you and you don't know the people you are soliciting advice from either. So if the consensus is to sell you gonna do it or vice versa? "Take it on a date to the liquor store" sounds like common transportation to me and if that's all it is to you and you don't use it let it go. Not our call.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Start modding...and driving. Repeat.

If you have no interest after a couple of those cycles, yeah, get rid of it. Let someone else enjoy it!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Mr. Corvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very surprised at how much interest this topic has generated and the number of reply's. Thanks guys! I simply wanted to hear story's of sellers regret or story's about why you have kept your vette or if you have ever thought of selling your car. I love the C5 dont get me wrong its a fantastic car truly is there's a reason why I bought one
Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Mr. Corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Start modding...and driving. Repeat.

If you have no interest after a couple of those cycles, yeah, get rid of it. Let someone else enjoy it!

I have been down this road in the past with modding cars till there barley street legal or can be driven on the road, I know how fun it can be and I know how frustrating it can be too....
Old 07-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

there's a reason why I bought one

I'm all ears!!

People ask if I'm going for a C7 and I explain that there really isn't a reason since this car is so fun to drive, fast, paid for, and still looks great. I've got 108 K on the clock and think I would consider rebuilding before moving on to something newer.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't drive my Vette as much as I thought I would... ...primary because driving a manual in rush hour traffic for an hour plus everyday is just not fun especially after a 9hour day. On the weekends I noticed ...I find my self riding my motorcycle on the weekends for the Sunday cruise more often...Is it time to sell the Vette?
Perhaps b/c the open air bike is more 'fun' in the summer?
But I would think open air bike in the winter isn't quite as fun...or in the rain.

But I understand - M6 C5, M7 C7, and an auto SUV.
5 mile trip to work that includes 2 left turns, 7 traffic lights, and a 4 way stop. 200mph on the speedometer and the computer says my average speed on any tank of gas is 23.4...
Old 07-29-2014, 04:55 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it time too pass her on to another C5 fan?

Yes it is time.

You can always get another one, it's not like they are hard to find.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I OBJECT!!! There isn't a damn thing about a STOCK CORVETTE
being a SNOOZER.

Fred
Old 07-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Mr. Corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by memmer
I OBJECT!!! There isn't a damn thing about a STOCK CORVETTE
being a SNOOZER.

Fred
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have loved Vettes since I was about 5 or 6. I didn't get my first Vette until I was in my mid 40s, a 99 A4 coupe. It became the wife's DD and I ended up buying 07 Hayabusa and an 88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo. After a couple years I sold the Busa and a while later bought an 02 Z06 and supercharged it. I did some mods to the 99 as it was just to slow. I now love driving both vettes. I know if I sold my vette it would be to buy a newer, faster one. I look forward to driving them every time I get the chance, whice is often. If you don't love driving it, can't help looking back at it when you park it, maybe you need what will give you the same feeling most of us get from our Vettes. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Lt. Dan M.; 07-29-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

When I bought my 'Vette, (11.5 yrs. ago) I was still playing basketball, and golfing, etc. Now I can do none of those things, but thankfully, I can still walk, so I know how priorities change.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Gray_Ghost
Here's what you need to do:

Make yourself take the car for a drive on a weekend. A long drive, at least an hour or so.

Come back home, get out, and then ask yourself, "Would I miss this feeling?"

If your answer is yes, then don't sell it. If it is no, sell it.

Coming to a C5 from an '03 Cobra, I wasn't sure I made the right decision. And sometimes when I'm just thinking about the car, I'm still not sure. But then I get in and go for a drive.

Yep. I made a good call. And I think you'll find you don't really want to sell yours either.

Either way, good luck!
Every time I sell a Corvette six months later I'm back in auto trader looking at Corvettes checking prices. Take that road trip first
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

If u have to ask u need to sell and move and buy another one when u have more time to enjoy it, i know i did 30 years ago, now retired and love to take it out several times a week.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM
meine96ws6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't.. I had a heads,cam, 4000 stall WS-6 with full bolt ons.

And a cammed, full suspension, full bolt on c5z

A gsxr 1000, and a yz250 dirt bike

I miss them ALL now!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the reply's guys, I need to do some serious thinking and I need to go on a date with my car tonight when I get home from work. Maybe Ill take her across town tonight to the liquor store on the other side of town maybe they have a new craft beer!?!?!?
Now your talking!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Is it time to sell my Vette?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM
zguy
Pro

This is an interesting thread. I have had my 99 C5 since 02. I have had sport bikes since I was 16 and still do. I have tossed around the idea of getting rid of the vette since 06 but never have. Priorities do change and sometimes life gets in the way of enjoying certain things specifically the vette. It could never be my DD even if I wanted to. It's lowered and it would never get me to work during the winter lol...

I'll tell you what though... If I sold it, I would miss it. I would end up just buying another one. People who know me, know how much enjoyment it brings when I drive it. For me, the little mods that I did were a must. LT headers, cat back exhaust plus the cosmetic stuff like wheels, lowering, etc. My current sport bike is a Hayabusa which I have taken several long distance group rides on. E.g. Maine, Montana, etc. I like sport bikes, I really do but I am not sure if I truly love riding though. I actually let a close friend of mine use it for the season which is rare for me since I am very particular with my things. Between family, work, cycling and the vette I don't have much time for the Busa so I figured I would let my buddy enjoy it instead of it sitting in the garage.

Personally I would buy another vette if I had more storage space. I am really digging a 2013 427 vert in cyber gray. I can see myself adding one of those to my collection.

As others have said, only you know what the right thing to do is. For me, I just start it up and rev the motor and the sweet sound from the LT headers just warms my soul. The day I sell it is the day I buy another one...

Good luck!

@Chicago1, your C5 is bad azz. I need to do some engine work or just move up to a Z06 already.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,378 Likes on 14,023 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Only you will know when it is time to let the car go. I've done it a nber of times but for my current one, the only way I see me getting rid of it is hen I am ready to make the jump to a C7. Get in your car and see if you don't come back with a huge smile on your face.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Illini Al
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Keep it. I don't have the same fire for my wife as I did 33 years ago, but I'm not selling her.

Quick Reply: Is it time to sell my Vette?