Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I buy these Asanti wheels?
Buy them
14.75%
Wait for a deal on CCW 505a
26.23%
Stay with thin spokes
47.54%
Eat pie
11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on these Asanti wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Opinions on these Asanti wheels?

Looking to get these wheels for my car. I really want CCW505a but I came across these for a very good price. I'm leaning heavily on getting them as they look way better than my thin spokes. But.... it's a Pace Car with so much going on already that maybe the style is just too much for the PC.

I'm nowhere near in the market to get CCW wheels so it's either the Asanti or the thin spokes that I have now. They are 19" and 20"

Opinions? I know... it's my car, my decision, what I like - I get that. I would however like to hear your opinion regardless

Here is what it looks like now - just lowered it on stock bolts

Sitting a little high because we just changed the wheels over - will settle down to the height above

Last edited by Chilliwack vettes; 07-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

I would think that anyone who acquired a pace car would want to retain it's value and keep it original. Save the old wheels for the next owner if you really need these. The you can switch back after having TPM, fender rub and speedometer problems
Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
I would think that anyone who acquired a pace car would want to retain it's value and keep it original. Save the old wheels for the next owner if you really need these. The you can switch back after having TPM, fender rub and speedometer problems
Dude, You are so negative.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Just curious what do those Asanti wheels weigh? I've read people not happy on adding a set of heavy wheels that greatly affected how the car drove/handled.
If i were you i'd save my cash and pick up some nice CCW's instead. But like you said, your call.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do what your heart tells you to do. Looks cool either way.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The Asanti wheels look OK on the car but they just don't make me want to go out and buy a set for some reason. If it were me, I'd hold out and get a set of the wheels you really want - the CCWs.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

IMO there's way too much going on with those wheels, they're just too busy. The old original ones look much better on that car.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Well then...
First of all, it's very unlikely that any of the C5's will retain their value but will in fact continue to decrease for the next several years. Of those that actually DO increase in value, mine will be one of the very last ones to do so because I choose to drive it & not squirrel it away (I'll be authoring another thread in the next day or two when the odometer rolls over to 100k miles!).
Second, the thin spokes are not original - it came with yellow wagon wheels (yuck) & I still have them - but they are period correct for '00 & up. Either way I would store both sets away regardless.
Third, after eyeballing them, they look exactly the same size overall for both width and diameter so there's no problem with rub or speedo. As already stated, I lowered it on STOCK bolts which means it can be raised back up with a wrench. Nut running TPMS on my thin spokes currently so that is not an issue with me.

What really makes these attractive is that I just bought new rubber for the thin spokes (haven't mounted them yet). So if I sold the new tires & added another $1k, in essence I would be getting this set for $250 per corner!

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Just curious what do those Asanti wheels weigh? :
Not sure of the numbers but the thin spokes are not OEM so they are heavier than stock anyways. Didn't notice that much of a difference between the two.

Originally Posted by mrlmd
....they're just too busy.
That was my first thought too
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Not a bad looking wheel, and would probably look great on a black C5...but on your PC with the graphics, it's a little too busy IMO...

BTW - great looking Pace Car!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

They look good. Personally I don't think they look any better/worse than the 505.

... paint them yellow.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd look for a deal on some CCW's on either e-Bay or C5 Parts For Sale.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
I'm leaning heavily on getting them as they look way better than my thin spokes. But.... it's a Pace Car with so much going on already that maybe the style is just too much for the PC.

it's either the Asanti or the thin spokes that I have now.
I like those Asanti rims on your Pace Car. I would get them if the price is right.

(I'll be authoring another thread in the next day or two when the odometer rolls over to 100k miles!).
Early congrats on 100K miles. Your C5 looks amazing. You take excellent care of her.

the thin spokes are not OEM so they are heavier than stock anyways. Didn't notics that much of a difference between the two.
Another reason to get rid of the current rims and to get the Aaanti's.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

You can do much better. Asanti wheels are all about bling and aren't a good fit on most sports cars. I say skip them and find a good deal on the wheels you really want.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't like Asantis on a Corvette BMW and Mercedes yes..I honestly think some chome wagon wheels would be the perfect wheel for that car and I'm not a fan of gray wagons...there's just something about the pace car where staying as close to original would fit the best IMO

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 07-28-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I voted to Eat Pie... I did just come back from Northern MI, so fresh cherry pie is still on my mind.

But to be honest, the Asanti's are too much bling with your graphics. CCW's are no doubt a nice wheel, but where is the originality with that? Aren't these played out yet...plus the upkeep unless you go powdercoated.

I'd like to see people think outside the box more. Too bad the industry doesn't seem to agree.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

Originally Posted by mrlmd
IMO there's way too much going on with those wheels, they're just too busy. The old original ones look much better on that car.

Agree
Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not usually much of a purist I like to modify what ever I can. That said, I actually think the asanti wheels look pretty decent assuming your just going for looks and not worried about performance or weight or anything. However I think they would look better on a Non pace car. I like the the thin spokes look that you have on your car and i think they look great with it being a pace car with the graphics still on the car.

I personally think the car with all the graphics looks best with a stock look and even though you don't have yellow wagon wheels on the car the thin spokes look factory original. I love my CCW's but I personally wouldn't even put them on the car. Just my .02 being a pace car I'd keep it looking factory if it were mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on these Asanti wheels?

Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I was referring to the wheels in your original photo - I know the Pace car's original wheels were yellow and I much prefer the thin spokes you have on now.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not personally a fan of Asanti style rims....but they do look better than the thin-spokes. "Ethnic appeal" or not (DDarryl).

If they are a swinging deal (and you can't/won't hold out for CCW's) then why not.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N

BTW - great looking Pace Car!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by White Out
They look good. Personally I don't think they look any better/worse than the 505.

... paint them yellow.
Kinda what I'm thinking

Lol @yellow!

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
I like those Asanti rims on your Pace Car. I would get them if the price is right.

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Not personally a fan of Asanti style rims....but they do look better than the thin-spokes. "Ethnic appeal" or not (DDarryl).

If they are a swinging deal (and you can't/won't hold out for CCW's) then why not.

Haha!
$1500 all in - so you can see the appeal here

Probably will get them. 19's and 20's are exactly what I want, the style is perhaps 85% of what I want, and the price is 300% of what I want!

Thanks for the replies. As a lot of you have pointed out, it's hard to add personal stuff to a Pace car because it already has lots of stuff going on. It's one reason why I have not painted the brake calipers either! When I bought the car, it had just the stripes but not the Indy lettering, and a mural on the side below the doors and I waited until it got painted over before I added the lettering because it would have looked horrid all together!
Anyways, the price is right & I'm thinking that I might have a lot of fun with Plasti-dip!

Quick Reply: Opinions on these Asanti wheels?