Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average cost to REBUILD the LS1 engine???

Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Average cost to REBUILD the LS1 engine???

Hey guys,

ive been doing a ton of research in my quest for my first vette, and I have to say one thing im very impressed with is the cost of the parts and aftermarket support you have.

Coming from a Lexus backround we have a lot of luxuries you guys don't, but one thing we don't have is easy access to the bolt on mods and cheap replacement parts that im seeing with this platform.

I was SHOCKED to find complete rebuild kits for these cars selling for as low as $700 or $800 !!! Yes pistons pulleys, gaskets the whole 9 yards, unbelievable!!!

Im just curious as to how many of you have had to go this route, whether you went nuts with engine mods and killed your engine at the track , or you've abused it for years and it gave out , or whatever the story is , if we find ourselves in this worst case scenario of our engine giving out , how much can we expect to pay for a proper rebuild?

Just trying to plan ahead and prepare for the worst that's all.

Thanks as always guys looking forward to the responses
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

most the time you can just fix what broke unless you really blew it up. guys have changed pistons, bearings etc. as long as the tolerances measure out you can usually rob parts from other used engines. most you may have to do is re hone for new rings

performance builds that needs different piston to wall, rod clearance and the rest get spendy not just with parts, but machine work

staying stock the engine is easy to maintain,
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

GM engines are pretty solid. Usually the rest of the car falls apart long before the engine

If something does happen, you have tons of choices. Lots of people go for more cubes with a LS2/3. Failures don't happen often, but it's a good time to upgrade if you have bad luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

thanks guys , yea my dad always drove old GM beaters for work and rode them into the ground racking up hundreds of thousands of miles.

If a 92 Chevrolet olds can make it that far I don't see why a vette cant.

If anyone here has done a rebuild id be interested to hear about it , thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
thanks guys , yea my dad always drove old GM beaters for work and rode them into the ground racking up hundreds of thousands of miles.

If a 92 Chevrolet olds can make it that far I don't see why a vette cant.

If anyone here has done a rebuild id be interested to hear about it , thanks
Don't know many who do stock rebuilds on Vettes. Usually they go with a forged bottom end, resleeve and go for bigger pistons, or simply drop a crate motor in her.

I would suggest looking on the LS site since this motor was also in other GM performance vehicles. Bet you would find more here that would actually do a stock rebuild.

http://ls1tech.com/
Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

thanks , I guess this is good news that not many people have done rebuilds here.

I just hope I can get a long healthy life out of my vette, when I buy one of course lol
Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
thanks , I guess this is good news that not many people have done rebuilds here.

I just hope I can get a long healthy life out of my vette, when I buy one of course lol
We have one of the original Corvette engineers on Corvette Forum, and he states the ls1 is a 300,000 plus mile motor. Buy one with something under that and you will be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Average cost to REBUILD the LS1 engine???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Average cost to REBUILD the LS1 engine???