Sponsored by:

TPMS transmitters.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Default TPMS transmitters.

My 2001 coupe has the original TPMS transmitters. I will run them until failure. My question is are the GM units superior to the units sold by Discount Tire ( it is an aftermarket brand )? I will have Discount Tire do the replacement. Also, are the original nuts re-useable? I cannot see spending $20 for new nuts unless it is necessary. Please give me your expert advice.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrus8
My 2001 coupe has the original TPMS transmitters. I will run them until failure. My question is are the GM units superior to the units sold by Discount Tire ( it is an aftermarket brand )? I will have Discount Tire do the replacement. Also, are the original nuts re-useable? I cannot see spending $20 for new nuts unless it is necessary. Please give me your expert advice.
I do believe the 20 bucks is for nuts and o-rings and they should be replaced but I am not an expert.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:21 PM
jmccrary
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
I do believe the 20 bucks is for nuts and o-rings and they should be replaced but I am not an expert.
I wonder of this is a "rebuild" kit.

If you keep you originals, make sure you replace the batteries.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I believe the original replacements, AC/Delco (mfg. by Schroder) come with the "O" rings. They do not, however come with the nuts, and as long as the original nuts are not scarred up there should be no reason they can't be re-used.

I can't speak to the aftermarket units, but I'd think they'd be as functional as the originals. They're mfgd by Dorman, I think, who manufactures/supplies MANY aftermarket parts for MANY automotive makes. If you re-use the originals, I'd certainly listen to the advice to replace the batteries, they're very near the end of their useful life.

My Thoughts
Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I like the original sensors. Schrader made the originals, so if that is the brand for replacement they are virtually the same thing.

If you are putting on new originals or Schrader's as a replacement, the nuts can be reused. (The Schrader's come with a new nut at no charge)(I bought Schrader's a year or so ago). I don't know what other brands may interchange with the nuts or not.

If you are looking for the "rebuild" kits, they are under $2 and contain the seal (Note the '01 to '04 sensors use a seal, the '97 to '00 use an oring), the nut, a valve core, and a valve stem cap.

Last edited by QCVette; 07-26-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:51 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Who carries batterys and what is the cost
Old 07-26-2014, 04:16 PM
jmccrary
Instructor

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Who carries batterys and what is the cost
If you do a search, there is a diy on here of how to replace them and I think it has the battery number...not a quick job.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:07 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by jmccrary
If you do a search, there is a diy on here of how to replace them and I think it has the battery number...not a quick job.
The DIY I saw here was for the older sensors, I'd replace the newer type like he has in the 01.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Mr Russ
Instructor

I went with new upsized GS wheels on my '01 with new tires. Decided to get new sonsors as well. The after market ones I purchased stopped working 1 month after install, all 4 of them . Tried everything to "wake" them up, reteach them, whatever, no dice! Placed a new OEM one near the wheel, trained no problem. Ended up replacing all of them with the OEM. Luckily I was able to return the others for a refund but I had to fight for it.

There are guys on here who got the "cheaper" after market ones and have had many trouble free years with them. Others, myself included, did not. FYI, I never came across a thread/post where a individual had problems buying the OEM ones. Save yourself the "possible" heartache and just get the OEM's.

I sold my original wheels with the sensors in them, they still worked fine. Went with new ones because a few years ago I got new tires on the family car and did not replace the 7 year old sensors. Wouldn't you know, the batteries started giving out just months later.

Last edited by Mr Russ; 07-26-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I personally would just get the OEM sensors. They can be bought at a good price from our forum sponsors and I've not heard of anyone having problems with them.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Update: Checked with Discount Tire and their aftermarket units are made by Schrader and are $60 each installed, wheel balanced, and programmed or, $240 plus tax. If I go with OEM They will be approx $245 shipped to my house but then, Discount charges $16 per tire to install, balance and program. So, I am up to $309 plus tax. Since the Discount units are made by Schrader and are guaranteed by discount including replacement, balancing, and programming, I will go with Discount.
Note: salesman at Discount says: "There is not such thing as a road force balancer. It is a myth". However, the salesman at another Discount store says that there is but "it will be an additional $25 per tire to road force balance". Apparently, Discount uses a Sonar balancer for 'regular balancing'. Who Knew?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:09 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Update: Checked with Discount Tire and their aftermarket units are made by Schrader and are $60 each installed, wheel balanced, and programmed or, $240 plus tax. If I go with OEM They will be approx $245 shipped to my house but then, Discount charges $16 per tire to install, balance and program. So, I am up to $309 plus tax. Since the Discount units are made by Schrader and are guaranteed by discount including replacement, balancing, and programming, I will go with Discount.
Note: salesman at Discount says: "There is not such thing as a road force balancer. It is a myth". However, the salesman at another Discount store says that there is but "it will be an additional $25 per tire to road force balance". Apparently, Discount uses a Sonar balancer for 'regular balancing'. Who Knew?

Good choice.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS transmitters.

Quick Reply: TPMS transmitters.