Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Default key fob question with dual #1s

question on the 01-04 key fobs

when i purchased my z06 i only received fob #1

the other day i had a guy sell me another #1, same serial number for $5

couldn't pass that up. is it possible to make these #1 and #2 setting them with the DIC?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The #1 and #2 FOB's are identical except for the number on the back. The two different numbers let "people" keep track of which FOB is which. The C5 can have up to 3 FOB's programmed and they do NOT make a FOB with the #3 on it. A little white paint on one of the duplicate FOB's but not the other should do the trick for people to know which is which........ Car doesn't care. Just remember which one you want to correspond to the #2 memory button if you have the memory feature and program that one second.
What he said. Just program them, they're the same part except for the embossed 1 or 2.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 623 Likes on 485 Posts

I agree.

In addition, the car will recognize whichever fob is programmed first as number 1, then the next programmed will be number 2. So if you have numbered the fobs, make sure to program them in the right order.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

sweet, thanks guys. one has worn buttons and one is in nearly new shape so it will be easy to tell which is which

not a bad score for five bucks, i wasn't sure, but didn't want to pass it up since i noticed it had the same serial number as the one in my pocket

apparently the malibu used the same key fob
Old 07-26-2014, 04:23 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 623 Likes on 485 Posts

There are several fobs that interchange.

I even programmed a '03 S10 fob as the 3rd fob. It only has the lock and unlock buttons, but it works for those.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 AM
riderv700
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOB program

The #1 and #2 FOB's are identical except for the number on the back. The two different numbers let "people" keep track of which FOB is which. The C5 can have up to 3 FOB's programmed and they do NOT make a FOB with the #3 on it. A little white paint on one of the duplicate FOB's but not the other should do the trick for people to know which is which........ Car doesn't care. Just remember which one you want to correspond to the #2 memory button if you have the memory feature and program that one second.
I did not know that. I bought a owners manual and FOB thru ebay for a 2004. it was a #2 . carried it to a dealership. said you could not program it to a # 1. I had a #2 that came with car when bought. they made a new key and programmed it to start the car. can I use this key and the extra #2 FOB to program to #1? how do you do it? is instructions in owners manual? the dealership wanted to sell me a #1 fob for $25.00. they said usually it would be $89.00 since they could not program it. that being the #2. I just had them to make the key.
now I will try to program it myself to #1 if I find out how?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 PM
riderv700
Intermediate

A lot of mixed mis-information in this post.

The KEY is NOT a trainable item. The key does have a resistor pellet on it and when you purchase a new key the value of the resistor on your other keys must be matched if the new key is to be able to start the car. A digital multi meter can be used to read the resistor and then matched to the following table of available keys for the C5:

The number #1 and #2 on the back of the FOB is aid humans in recognizing the two different FOB's.

When you program the FOB's (details in your owners manual) the FIRST FOB that you program will correspond to #1 on the memory buttons of the car. If you program the FOB with the #2 first then that FOB will correspond to the #1 on the memory. I did this on my car because when I bought the car I received only one FOB and that had the #2 on it. The second FOB that you train will correspond to the #2 on the memory. Does NOT matter what number is on the FOB other than it is easier for most humans to remember if the FOB with the #1 corresponds to the #1 on the memory. I am assuming that the car has the memory option. If it does NOT have the memory option then it make NO DIFFERENCE as to which FOB is trained first. As long as they have been trained to the car, they will lock/unlock the doors/trunk.

The dealership clearly did NOT understand how the system works and/or they were just looking to extract some $$$$ from your wallet or checkbook or credit card.
thank you for all the feedback! this will set me on the right road!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:05 PM
riderv700
Intermediate

Default FOB programming

I have a extra #2 transmitter I carried to the dealership to have programmed to a extra key they made for me. they said the transmitter had to be a #1 since I have a #2 already. they could not program it so they tried to sell me a #1 transmitter. in the mean time I read here on the forum that you could do it yourself. well, I did program it as a #1 but now my key will not start the car as before it had. the transmitter will lock and unlock the doors ok. what gives? is there a way I can erase the #1 program and get my key working as before stand alone?
regards,
Old 07-28-2014, 04:17 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by riderv700
I have a extra #2 transmitter I carried to the dealership to have programmed to a extra key they made for me. they said the transmitter had to be a #1 since I have a #2 already. they could not program it so they tried to sell me a #1 transmitter. in the mean time I read here on the forum that you could do it yourself. well, I did program it as a #1 but now my key will not start the car as before it had. the transmitter will lock and unlock the doors ok. what gives? is there a way I can erase the #1 program and get my key working as before stand alone?
regards,
Check the replies in your other thread about this.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:20 PM
riderv700
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Check the replies in your other thread about this.
will do. thank you

Get notified of new replies

To key fob question with dual #1s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: key fob question with dual #1s