C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to buy a car from a distance?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 AM
zguy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought a used car and a motorcycle on Ebay. Most people won't do it. I am a pretty particular about my cars so folks are shocked that I have bought them sight unseen on the web. As someone put it, it's a leap of faith. That's the best way to describe it.

There have been some good suggestions like using an inspection service or a person that is local from a site like this. I think I would opt to have it inspected by a professional especially on a bigger purchase. I did not have the motorcycle or car inspected but I did talk to the sellers via email and phone to understand what I was buying. I am a pretty detailed person so you can general get a feel for how folks view and treat there vehicles by asking good questions plus a ton of pictures. In both cases, the car and motorcycle were exactly as described including all visible defects.

Good luck...

Last edited by zguy; 07-26-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by QCVette
I will never buy one without actually seeing it. I have been told a number of things and shown pictures, but sometimes they are not as they appear.

I go with someone (usually my wife) on a road trip to look at it and if good I purchase it and we both drive home.

I looked at some that were described to be what I wanted and pictures looked good, but they were misleading. I drove 750 miles, 500 miles a couple times, 200 miles a couple times, and did not buy. I have also driven 1000 miles and 750 miles and had a fun drive home in my "new" Corvette.

I have had bad experiences with shops making an evaluation for me. The ones I used were not very detailed in looking and missed a lot of things. One even missed a transmission that would not go into OD. Most other things were less severe and were more cosmetic. Unless you have a known to be good shop/person to do the inspection, I would be concerned about trusting that.

Good luck.
Nobody here is talking about buying one 'without seeing it', except you.
To find one a distance away, to find out all about you can, and then ascertain if it is worthy of a trip to 'see for your self', is what I and several others talked about.

Don
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I just bought my 2004 without seeing it.

Yes, that is a risk, but I got a comfortable feeling from the seller, a solid report from the independent inspection, and quite frankly, an 18k mile car isn't a big risk.

I don't normally recommend buying a car sight unseen, but it can be done successfully.

My 2004 turned out to be even nicer than the seller described.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:23 PM
uncle wilson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do how do u send money and be secure in getting the car?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle wilson
do how do u send money and be secure in getting the car?
Faith in the seller, based on your own feelings about the seller.

We also had paperwork in place (Bill of Sale agreement) that listed the car by VIN.

I sent a certified check, with the car listed by VIN on the check.

If you are not comfortable dealing with the seller, then don't buy the car.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by donald4972
Nobody here is talking about buying one 'without seeing it', except you.
To find one a distance away, to find out all about you can, and then ascertain if it is worthy of a trip to 'see for your self', is what I and several others talked about.

Don
Sorry if I misunderstood, but the posts shown below indicate to me that many are buying "without seeing it". My post was to indicate my thoughts that seeing it is important, and that having someone else look at it or inspect it may not be as good as taking a look for yourself. Even the OP's 1st post shown below asks about "tips on buying a car sight unseen?"

Originally Posted by ribster2222
... But has anyone got any tips on buying a car sight unseen? Having it shipped to you? ....
Originally Posted by Chuck A
You need to actually go see it in person, i purchased a bike on E-B-y and when i allready bought it noticed a lot of damage that wasnt shown on pictures , be careful out their their are a lot of scam artist
Originally Posted by emccomas
....This is the first time I have ever bought a car sight unseen.
Caution, research, and planning are the key words.
Originally Posted by jrose7004
I would have to see, touch and feel it before I would buy it. Something that I've always noticed is that if I go and see a car and travel more than two hours, I've always been disappointed in it.
Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Bought my '88 from ebay sight unseen a few States away....
Originally Posted by zguy
I have bought a used car and a motorcycle on Ebay. Most people won't do it. I am a pretty particular about my cars so folks are shocked that I have bought them sight unseen on the web. As someone put it, it's a leap of faith. That's the best way to describe it....
Originally Posted by emccomas
I just bought my 2004 without seeing it.....

Last edited by QCVette; 07-27-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 PM
CHARGED UP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by ribster2222
Hope this is a good place for this question. I am looking for a fairly specific C5. Torch red, tan top and interior, low mileage, 6 speed preferred but not a deal breaker. Problem is, there aren't any around here. I've found several at Car Gurus, Cars.com, Corvettes for sale etc., but they are always hundreds or thousands of mile away. Right now my perfect one is in Pennsylvania. I'm in Oregon. I'm OK driving up to 500 miles to check out a good one, but the one I want is 3000 miles away.

So how do you buy a car you really want that is 3000 miles away? I know about the list of people who will go check it out for you. But has anyone got any tips on buying a car sight unseen? Having it shipped to you? Getting financing on a car 3000 miles away? Do I bide my time and wait for the right car to show up in BFE where I live? If you jump on a plane and go there you'll way overpay for a plane ticket leaving tomorrow. Then what? One way ticket, round trip. I have no idea how much it would cost to buy a car sight unseen, and have it shipped cross country. And it's difficult to just drop what you're doing and say, honey I'm flying across country tomorrow to maybe buy my dream vette. See ya in a week.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
No perfect way . I have bought and sold with shipping involved and it is a bit scary but as others have said I had real good vibs with buyers and sellers and all had some forum history and people to back up the stated facts about car. You should have it looked at like others have said & shipped imo rather than fly out unless you truly know what to look for and drive back.Flying there can be a problem if car does not pan out and it still probably pays to have it looked at before you go out. GOOD LUCK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to buy a car from a distance?