Sponsored by:

New Seat Foam with same Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Seat Foam with same Seat Covers

For those that have replaced the seat foam and not replaced your seat coves, do you have any input to the positive or negative? I have considered replacing the seat foam only, foam and covers or replacing the entire seats. Trouble is, even though the stock C5 Sport seats aren't the best, I really don't have a huge issue with them and I hate to spend money just for the sake of changing something that I am not all that unhappy with.

Also, is there any certain place that sells better foams than another?

Anyway, thanks for the input!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Depending on where the car has spent most of its life and the weight of you and the previous owners, it wouldn't surprise me a bit that the foam is shot and the covers are perfectly acceptable. I'm approaching that stage on mine: covers are still fine, but there is a noticeable comfort difference between the driver and passenger seats.

Now whether I can get one or both covers off and back on without buggering it up is an entirely different question.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Interested also.

DSTURBD
Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 PM
slopoke17
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 131 Posts

I recently purchased my 03 with just about 8500 miles on it. No mileage but the sides of the bottom look tired. I found a kit on Corvette central : part # 135074 for 1997-2013 SEAT BOTTOM CUSHION REPAIR $39.95 for the kit to do one seat. The pass. side looks like new so I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by slopoke17
I recently purchased my 03 with just about 8500 miles on it. No mileage but the sides of the bottom look tired. I found a kit on Corvette central : part # 135074 for 1997-2013 SEAT BOTTOM CUSHION REPAIR $39.95 for the kit to do one seat. The pass. side looks like new so I'm going to give it a shot.
That kit is also good to use when you're installing new foam. It provides the extra support the seat base is missing and helps to slow down the wear process. I have that kit (bought from JW Motoring) and am planning on using it when I replace my old driver's seat foam with the brand new base foam that arrived yesterday.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Thanks Lee. My covers probably fall into that category as well. I am leaning towards giving it a shot.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:16 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

When I rebuilt my seats this spring, my foam came from Mid America and it has support where the original foam failed. I bought new leather skins, and with the new foam they look great and feel great. Much more comfortable than the originals, even better than my son-in-laws c6, and his car is a low mile car. My original skins weren't in real bad shape, but I wanted new soft leather. I didn't realize how stiff the old vinyl was til I got them off. I really don't think I could have put them back on without heating them up. Even the old leather was much stiffer than the new. The best $850.00 that I've spent on the car.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...27013165_n.jpg

Last edited by 92GA; 07-23-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

The previous owner replaced the seat skin two years ago and I replaced the seat foam (mid-america) a few months ago. I definitely love the firmness of the new foam but I had difficulties with putting the seat covers back on. I don't know if it shrank to the old foam or what but I had a heck of a time getting it to line up correctly. It's still not perfect but there's not much else I can do.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GA
When I rebuilt my seats this spring, my foam came from Mid America and it has support where the original foam failed. I bought new leather skins, and with the new foam they look great and feel great. Much more comfortable than the originals, even better than my son-in-laws c6, and his car is a low mile car. My original skins weren't in real bad shape, but I wanted new soft leather. I didn't realize how stiff the old vinyl was til I got them off. I really don't think I could have put them back on without heating them up. Even the old leather was much stiffer than the new. The best $850.00 that I've spent on the car.

I second this. The original seat skins were not a high-quality leather and you will be so much happier with new seat skins. I replaced all my foam and seat skins last year and am very pleased. I did have to get used to a slightly different seating position - the old foam was worn and gave more than when new and had been cut into by the cross wires. When I put on the new high-density seat foam (from DJ Motorsports) which also included a jute pad to keep the wires from cutting in and new skins (also from DJ) I found I was sitting a good inch or so higher than before.

Good luck with your project!

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. At least, they feel faster.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Recently purchased foam and new covers from
vette essentials. Could not be more satisfied. The
quality is unbelievable. Its like taken years off the
03. Interior looks and smells fabulous. Had a pro
come to the house and install them. $300, did a
beautiful job, well worth it. If you swing it
talk to sandy at vette essentials.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 92GA

Hmm, maybe I need to reconsider replacing the covers also. So many options out there...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K9Leader
I second this. The original seat skins were not a high-quality leather and you will be so much happier with new seat skins. I replaced all my foam and seat skins last year and am very pleased. I did have to get used to a slightly different seating position - the old foam was worn and gave more than when new and had been cut into by the cross wires. When I put on the new high-density seat foam (from DJ Motorsports) which also included a jute pad to keep the wires from cutting in and new skins (also from DJ) I found I was sitting a good inch or so higher than before.

Good luck with your project!

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. At least, they feel faster.
Point taken! I may even copy that exact setup. I have a light oak interior and want to keep most of it that way. I want the part of the seat that shows above my door to be light oak so that it actually shows up against my Navy Blue Metallic car. The rest of the seat below the door can have black.

Where did those skins come from? DJ also?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cessna10
Recently purchased foam and new covers from
vette essentials. Could not be more satisfied. The
quality is unbelievable. Its like taken years off the
03. Interior looks and smells fabulous. Had a pro
come to the house and install them. $300, did a
beautiful job, well worth it. If you swing it
talk to sandy at vette essentials.
Thanks Cessna!

You guys have me excited about this project now!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,235 Likes on 13,934 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'll second the recommendation for using Vette Essentials. I have bought their seat covers in my last two C5s and the leather is simply amazing, as is the quality of craftsmanship and the customer service. I did not replace my foam on my current car, but did on my '00 and they had a very good price on it also.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Point taken! I may even copy that exact setup. I have a light oak interior and want to keep most of it that way. I want the part of the seat that shows above my door to be light oak so that it actually shows up against my Navy Blue Metallic car. The rest of the seat below the door can have black.

Where did those skins come from? DJ also?
Yes, skins from DJ along with the high-density seat bottoms. Seat back foam I ordered from one of the big suppliers.

I agree that Vette Essentials are probably the best, but cost three times as much. DJ is a one man operation and customer service is sometimes a bit sluggish but quality of skins is excellent and is best bang for the buck.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 PM
3tt3v8P
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I replaced the skins on mine and wished I had replaced the foam. I did get the kit for both seats with the jute and the extra pads etc and they do help. My foam wasn't to bad but I sat in one with new foam and a big difference. I got the skins on ebay from exotic leather. They are a hand sewn and you can get them any way you want them. Hope this helps jax.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 3tt3v8P

I replaced the skins on mine and wished I had replaced the foam. I did get the kit for both seats with the jute and the extra pads etc and they do help. My foam wasn't to bad but I sat in one with new foam and a big difference. I got the skins on ebay from exotic leather. They are a hand sewn and you can get them any way you want them. Hope this helps jax.
That's where mine came from too. You can still replace the foam, and they will fit tighter. I like the fact you can get them any way you want them no extra charge. The perforated centers do cost a bit more, but worth it. I posted a link to my seats before and after. Don't have a way to post pics.

Get notified of new replies

To New Seat Foam with same Seat Covers

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Helps a lot thanks. Seats looks great in your car.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Exotik Leather shut down it's eBay business unless something has changed with them since last week. I got one of the last sets of skins they sold; I'll be pulling my seats out today to install them.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I had the seat foam replaced at about 90k miles on my '02 without replacing the skins. Now it looks & feels great to me. The original driver's side foam was shot as you might imagine. The new foam made a world of difference in appearance but even more in comfort & support.

Quick Reply: New Seat Foam with same Seat Covers