Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once again - Headers or cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:42 PM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Once again - Headers or cat back?

I know that this horse has been beat, buried exhumed and beat again, but I will risk it. I love everything about my c5 except the quiet sound. I have been reading the threads for a while and I thought that I might want to go with the b&b prt exhaust. However, when i look at the cost of headers, I think that I might get more bang for the buck. Opinions please, what is the best course of action, headers or cat back? I will patiently await the responses. Thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm no expert whatsoever so hopefully others will chime in but from what i think i know it depends on whether you want more performance or a better sound. i have no idea how headers will change the stock exhaust note but they will be better for you performance wise than a catback system, at least i'm pretty sure they are. catbacks will definitely make the corvette sound how it should and it'll allow better exhaust flow than stock but it won't do much performance wise by itself i don't think. hopefully this helps some, i chose a catback, well several trying to get the right sound i like and i'm happy that i chose an exhaust, would like to get some headers down the road as well. by the way, i had PRTs and they are a good exhaust, sound nice
Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I'm running B&B prt with American racing headers, it really not that bad at idle, but under load it gets people's attention, the prt's are
Top quality pieces, and are great sounding exhaust, but if your not in a hurry watch the for sale forum you can find some good deals there.
And when you add the headers it gets pretty nasty
Adding a tune and a intake will wake your ride up pretty good.

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 07-21-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

while age is not a total indicator, Age and what you want from an exhaust determines what is available. Like I frequently say. "Everything is a trade off". With an exhaust system, be it headers only or a full headers to cat back system, what you expect determines what will fill that expectation.

Cost is a factor.
Does HP gains trump a quieter cabin at cruise?
1)Do you want fantastic idle?
2)Do you want fantastic WOT?
3)Do you want refined muscle with no drone cruise at sustained 70/ 80 MPH
Well IM here to tell you that you cant have all three.

Do you want that obnoxious ( IM am here so be afraid, exhaust that draws the hatred of neighbors and the attention of police alike. ?
Some people want that, most of them are adolescents even if they are 40 years old.

Most guy who grew up around cherry bombs and glass packs have left that mentality many years ago, but some people are just growing hair under their arms, and think that is the answer to corvette sound.

IM old but 13 years ago I was not as old as I am now...I chose the Corsa system for me because, I know the quality, I respect my neighbors, they are a quantum leap from the stock system. While we are all car people and love the sound of open headers at the track. It can get very old if you have to live with that on a daily basis. Cut outs are a good alternative but for some, in some states, they are illegal.
My Corsa Indy Pace car system works for me, and many others. its one of the more expensive systems out there but Corsa is not going out of business any time soon because lots of Corsa systems are sold daily. Some of us have grown some wisdom over the years and no longer think with the little head as we once did.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you just want more sound any of the bullet type muffler systems(B&B, Borla, GHL, Magnaflow etc) and an X pipe will give the most aggressive sound..I would do the catback first and see if it sounds good enough for you(in most cases it is) you can always do headers later as headers are generally more expensive then mufflers and x pipe +much more expensive install if you're paying someone+you will need a tune to get the most benefit whereas with the catback you don't.

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 07-21-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM
williame3590
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I just installed the Corsa Extreme axle back with 4'' quad tips. Even the mufflers are polished which you can see through the rear body vents. A bit louder at idle but during regular driving it's quiet. If I stick my foot in the rad it's a sound that you cannot get enough of....seriously!
There is absolutely no drone at any speed whatsoever!!
The quality of this system is insane and I might add is made in the good old USA.
Seeing as I am quite immature at age 52, next year I will be installing long tube headers, X- pipe and cats. It's going to be a long winter.

If you can manage a complete system I say go for it, you'll love your Vette that much more.

Bill

Last edited by williame3590; 07-21-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by KAGEY228
I know that this horse has been beat, buried exhumed and beat again, but I will risk it. I love everything about my c5 except the quiet sound. I have been reading the threads for a while and I thought that I might want to go with the b&b prt exhaust. However, when i look at the cost of headers, I think that I might get more bang for the buck. Opinions please, what is the best course of action, headers or cat back? I will patiently await the responses. Thanks
Both. But it won't do much good if you don't go with a better flowing air box.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Only you can decide what is more important to you - performance gains or a more sports car sound. The headers will certainly give you more power (combined with a good tune), and will probably make even the stock exhaust sound a bit better, but nothing like a good catback system with the headers will sound like. Even without the headers, getting a good catback system will make your car sound great.

I have the Corsa Indy Pace car exhaust on mine without any aftermarket headers and it sounds great.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 PM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that I will wait and save some money then decide which is the most cost effective at the time. I definitely want better sound, but it would be nice to have a little bite to go with the bark. Will I need to get a tune when I get the headers, or will I notice the difference without a tune?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that I will wait and save some money then decide which is the most cost effective at the time. I definitely want better sound, but it would be nice to have a little bite to go with the bark. Will I need to get a tune when I get the headers, or will I notice the difference without a tune?
You'll notice a difference. Some people go with tunes and swear by them. Some people go with tunes and swear at them.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the sound of my blown 02Z, with headers, X pipe, no cats, and B&B bullets. That said, I am looking for a stock set ot TIs to put back on it. Though I love the sound, it is getting very old. I drive the car almost everyday and just want something less "HERE I COME!" sounding. I put my TIs on the wife's 99 coupe that has headers and an X pipe with high flow cats. It is perfect. And when you romp it, it still sounds great. I would go with the headers just for the power gain, and as stated above somewhere, you need to open up your air intake. I put headers, X pipe, TIs, CAI, LS6 intake, 160 T Stat, and an ECS mail order tune on the 99. It is just amazing to drive now. I like driving it just as much as I do my Z, and it is an A4.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
tgucc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I just went through it

I bought my 2001 C5 with Borla Stingers and Borla cross pipe. Great sound. Last month I installed LG Pros, LG cross pipe, and a tune. Huge difference in HP and sound. I still have the stingers on but now I don't like the sound. Too loud.
Another thing. "Cat back" can be misconstrued. On stock exhaust there's an H pipe after the cats. Or you can purchase a cross pipe whch would be truly "cat back".
Old 07-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Headers will provide more HP. Cat back will give you sound. Go with some LG Streets and a TI cat back. You will be happy. if you want super loud, go with B&B's or straight pipes.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Oklahoma Adam
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Get both. Texas Speed makes a nice low cost set of long tubes and you can pick up ZO6 titanium cat backs pretty cheap.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me the best sounding C5 exhaust has headers, High Flow cats, X pipe and bullet mufflers the X pipe and cats are a must with headers and bullets or there's too much drone and rasp popping during deceleration and it's too loud, it also smells better and "feels" like it has more low end torque with cats a close 2nd is a headers, X catless Y with regular mufflers

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 07-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Once again - Headers or cat back?

Quick Reply: Once again - Headers or cat back?