Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shouldn't sale ads be in the for sale section?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default shouldn't sale ads be in the for sale section?

No offense to advertisers here I love y'all and have dealt with and bought from many of you. I don't mean to offend anyone and not that my opinion matters much especially since I have only been here 7 months but Shouldn't ads for items on sale be kept in the the parts for sale or vendor for sale forums? It seems like usually the same items up on sale all the time and many times these ads are the majority of new posts for me when I open the general forum.

To me I look to the general forum for general talk and questions about the C5 not for stuff for/on sale. I know the response will probably be that "we are just trying to make everyone aware of the sale" but come on it's always the same stuff for the most part and not always but for the most part seems to be the same sale. I just kinda think that stuff doesn't really belong in the general forum when there are more appropriate forums available. But thats just my unsolicited .02
Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Really agree with you but to be honest it's a subject that's been talked to death.
I doubt another one of these post will make the mods on this forum change their mind.

Forum vendors pay a good price to list their items on here and allow us to enjoy the forum for free i guess. That's pretty much what the responses will be like like all the other post.

However, i can see how all the "for sale" ads would be better off in the for sale section of the forum to "clean up" the sections a bit better. Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It's been posted a hundred times before with the same results. Vendors pay for the right to post in any forum they feel will help business. It keeps the forum free, there's no value in complaining, it will end up being locked and someone else will post it again later. Be honest, how much time does it take to scroll past them.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Hey Maxx I hear ya man, you've been here longer than me so you would know better and I didn't do a search on the subject or anything so didn't know this was something that there was a lot of past talk about. I wondered why nobody else said anything and if I was the only one that found this a bit annoying. Now not annoying enough to do anything about it other than ask the question but annoying none the less.

I'm sure they do pay good money but my thinking is that they have a section for them and there are two sides of the coin. True they pay so we have a free site but then again we are a captive target audience for them. Without them we have no free site without us they have no one to support them. I just don't like being pestered by sales people in general so I usually go to the people with the best deals and the least pestering. Funny cause it seems to be the same 3 or 4 vendors and there are many other vendors with products that we all use and love that don't do this kind of advertising yet they are very active on the forum. Oh well to each there own I suppose….

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Really agree with you but to be honest it's a subject that's been talked to death.
I doubt another one of these post will make the mods on this forum change their mind.

Forum vendors pay a good price to list their items on here and allow us to enjoy the forum for free i guess. That's pretty much what the responses will be like like all the other post.

However, i can see how all the "for sale" ads would be better off in the for sale section of the forum to "clean up" the sections a bit better. Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,280 Likes on 13,958 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I really don't mind if the vendors have their ads in each of the sections. They pay good money to help keep the forum free for us to use. MAXX-Z06 is right - this topic has been covered many times and the comments are the same. The incentive for the vendors paying money to advertise is they can do so in any section.

If I'm not interested in a product, it's easy enough to skip over that thread and go to the next one. I seriously doubt the policy will change anytime soon.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
Hey Maxx I hear ya man, you've been here longer than me so you would know better and I didn't do a search on the subject or anything so didn't know this was something that there was a lot of past talk about. I wondered why nobody else said anything and if I was the only one that found this a bit annoying. Now not annoying enough to do anything about it other than ask the question but annoying none the less.

I'm sure they do pay good money but my thinking is that they have a section for them and there are two sides of the coin. True they pay so we have a free site but then again we are a captive target audience for them. Without them we have no free site without us they have no one to support them. I just don't like being pestered by sales people in general so I usually go to the people with the best deals and the least pestering. Funny cause it seems to be the same 3 or 4 vendors and there are many other vendors with products that we all use and love that don't do this kind of advertising yet they are very active on the forum. Oh well to each there own I suppose….
ARRRRGGG "Pirateslifeforme" for forum president
Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Was more of a statement to the vendors and the mods of my point of view. Like I said its not a big enough issue for me to do anything about it and It's true doesn't take much time to scroll past but how much is enough? What if every vendor did this since you say they are all allowed to if they choose?

When we go to the movies is it really a problem to have 20 min of previews and ads or watch tv and deal with 20 min out of every hour being commercials? Is it an huge deal to have telemarketers cold calling you? or sales people walking into your office cold calling? not really but we sure would like to be able to avoid it and why is that???? Simply because we don't want to buy anything at that particular moment and if we did we would go look for it. I guess my question is why bother with a separate forum for vendors sale?

I don't expect any changes but I would like to let the vendors and mods know that personally when I am ready to buy any products that I don't yet have I will take the time to look up the best deal from the best available source and that will more than likely be one of these vendors anyway but until then the ads all over all the different forums are quite annoying. Thats it….

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It's been posted a hundred times before with the same results. Vendors pay for the right to post in any forum they feel will help business. It keeps the forum free, there's no value in complaining, it will end up being locked and someone else will post it again later. Be honest, how much time does it take to scroll past them.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's how they keep the forum free to you and me so it really doesn't bother me.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I never go to the for sale forum. I don't mind the sales ads here.. I sometimes see a good deal here on something, that I would have never considered. With some experience, its easy to spot the ads without opening the thread. if the topic of the ad interests you, you can then open it. Personally I appreciate the vendors contributions here. viewing a sale thread in the general forum is only a glance, it takes a micro second to pass it. " You don't have to open every thread"
For the vendors it gives them an opportunity to boost their sales so the money they contribute to this forum is easier for them to absorb.
Bill
Old 07-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I never go to the for sale forum. I don't mind the sales ads here.. I sometimes see a good deal here on something, that I would have never considered. With some experience, its easy to spot the ads without opening the thread. if the topic of the ad interests you, you can then open it. Personally I appreciate the vendors contributions here. viewing a sale thread in the general forum is only a glance, it takes a micro second to pass it. " You don't have to open every thread"
For the vendors it gives them an opportunity to boost their sales so the money they contribute to this forum is easier for them to absorb.
Bill
Fair enough… It's all good.

I do go to the for sale forum from time to time and did buy my curb alert from southern car parts from an ad they had in the for sale forum. I Can't remember ever checking out the vendors sale forum. Maybe I'm just b!tch!ng about not seeing more new stuff like you said that I haven't considered of course then again maybe I'm just B!tchy today LOL
Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Get used to them. If you don't want to read them learn to recognize them before you open the thread. Not going to change under the current Forum ownership.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM
bigvx5
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's kinda like the same person posting their ad on Craigslist and posting it 10 times a day for a month straight..it's annoying. .people are still gonna buy the product if it's only in for sale section..less likely to buy if it's shoved down ur throat..just my opinion though..
Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

It isn't allowed on most forums but seems to be the norm here. I guess it's up to what the owners want but it is distracting at times. As long as they are somewhat related to the forum I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought it was odd too, this is the only forum ive seen thats like that. Between the 1911forum, m4carbine, ls1gto, even ls1tech, the mods usually move for sale ads to the for sale section rather quickly. Not a big deal like some others said i just recognize them and move on.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

A forum vendor has to abide by forum rules. They can post a thread but they can only bump it to the top of the forum, once in 24 hours. However if other people post to their ad, the vendor naturally can engage in conversation with the interested member. Each post brings the thread to the top of the list.

This forum is not like other forums.. This forum draws much attention from the automotive community, there are many professional in this forum, from tuners, to engineers, to electricians, drag racers, track competitors, to every type of Automotive expert. when this forum started there was no Vendors, Now we have at our disposal an arsenal of experts , with feedback from members who have experience with these Vendors.
This forum is exactly as good as it is because the " present " admiration has grown this forum from the roots that were planted by the original owners.
The only reason you are here is because this forum is good. It got to be that way because of the vendor participation. Forums with no vendor participation are boring with very poor interface. This forum has to be one of the most expensive forum to run because the interface is so developed. Be thankful. I am.

Incidentally.. IM not sucking up to the Adminisration. I've butted heads with them many times, over my 13 year here. IM here 13 years because the forum is good.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-21-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in b4 lock...
Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Bill

I have purchased items that I saw in a vendor's post that I wouldn't have seen if it was not in the general section. The only thing that angers me is that I keep saying I'm not spending any more money on mods for my almost 15 year old car, but then see something interesting. I keep seeing American hydro graphics posts and just love the beautiful stuff he has. That being said IB4TL this will be closed by a moderator soon.....

Get notified of new replies

To shouldn't sale ads be in the for sale section?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I normally don't go to the for sale section so I'm not against seeing ads from venders here. Some are like 'Hey that's a good idea' and others are 'So you want me to pay how much for that??' Either way, they help pay the bills

Peter
Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM
always1961
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A forum vendor has to abide by forum rules. They can post a thread but they can only bump it to the top of the forum, once in 24 hours. However if other people post to their ad, the vendor naturally can engage in conversation with the interested member. Each post brings the thread to the top of the list.

This forum is not like other forums.. This forum draws much attention from the automotive community, there are many professional in this forum, from tuners, to engineers, to electricians, drag racers, track competitors, to every type of Automotive expert. when this forum started there was no Vendors, Now we have at our disposal an arsenal of experts , with feedback from members who have experience with these Vendors.
This forum is exactly as good as it is because the " present " admiration has grown this forum from the roots that were planted by the original owners.
The only reason you are here is because this forum is good. It got to be that way because of the vendor participation. Forums with no vendor participation are boring with very poor interface. This forum has to be one of the most expensive forum to run because the interface is so developed. Be thankful. I am.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have an issue with ad threads, but vendors definitely should not be able to spam inside "normal" threads. And yes, a post to the effect that "I recommend STOP-FAST XYZ pads...oh and by the way, we have them on sale this week." in a brake pad thread is still spam: a vendor providing technical info is vastly different from a blatant sales pitch.

Quick Reply: shouldn't sale ads be in the for sale section?