C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Mine came with the optional 'wipers', so I drive it in the rain! Zuti
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by BamaJ
Ever go on long trips? Right now I can't imagine ever venturing very far from home. Is this crazy? By the way, I absolutely love this car.
I'll appreciate any comments/advice. Thanks!
You are really missing the joy of the car if you don't take long trips, drive in the rain, etc.! Just my opinion! But remember, it's your car, so treat as you want, but that also means not as the previous owner did, but as you wish! Zuti
Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 PM
ram01
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j3studio
That would be correct. The only thing an owner can claim is that they never drove it in the rain.
There not made of sugar
Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take insanely good car of my Corvette however.................I love to go on trips, done every National Corvette Caravan and getting ready to do the one coming up. To enjoy the Corvette experience to the fullest requires driving a Corvette. To each his own but I'm driving mine, if it rains so be it, I'll detail it when I get home.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Bob Thomas
Heel & Toe

At least not driving in the rain will keep you from getting wet from the C5 window seal leak. Mine used to drip on my feet. Changed the seals and a year later it drips into the lap of any passenger.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

This is a DD
Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 PM
vcam
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 38 Posts

Sooner or later mother nature will get you unless you just want to look at it in your garage. Not the end of the world, undercarriage won't instantly rust away. You could put on your pervert coat when you get home, rinse road dirt off body, inside wheelwells, exhaust and underneath with clear water while still raining, pull in garage then gently dry until a proper wash/detail. However wife may strongly suggest contacting mental health services as you obviously need counseling.....

Old 07-24-2014, 04:14 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Sooner or later mother nature will get you unless you just want to look at it in your garage. Not the end of the world, undercarriage won't instantly rust away. You could put on your pervert coat when you get home, rinse road dirt off body, inside wheelwells, exhaust and underneath with clear water while still raining, pull in garage then gently dry until a proper wash/detail. However wife may strongly suggest contacting mental health services as you obviously need counseling.....

LOL..... nice trench coat, but you forgot to mention the obligatory Corvette hat & NB tennies to complete the emergency rinse-off ensemble.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

[QUOTE=BamaJ

LOL..... nice trench coat, but you forgot to mention the obligatory Corvette hat & NB tennies to complete the emergency rinse-off ensemble.[/QUOTE]

At least it looks like he has shorts on under the trench coat.....
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No more like this

The car always gets her Wet Anyways pulling hard though the gears and she loves doing it
Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

I have only driven my car once in the rain and that was the 2nd day I owned her. I took off the top and got about 2 miles before it start raining. I have no problem driving in the rain because the car has paint on it. I don't drive it in the rain because I only drive my car when the targa is off. If I have to have the top on I really don't want to drive the car.

Reggie
Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are trying to cash in when you sell it, it me be worth It, keeping it out of the rain, for the next owner. I have a daily driver with over 400,000 miles, and I can tell you it is a blast driving in the snow. Active Handling, Traction Control, ABS and good snow tires from Michelin creates a lot of fun driving in Ohio.

Last edited by 473444; 07-24-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM
searay
5th Gear

Default C5 BamaJ

Beautiful C5. I just bought (Jan. 14) a 50th ann. (03) convertible speedway white with matching top with only 17,300 km on it that I am pretty fussy with. I do not drive it in the rain because I never put the top up; however, I have been caught a few times driving and hit a rain cloud and got a bit of a shower. The C5 is one of my favourite body styles and an amazing cruising car-so, enjoy it. I can't wait to visit my friend in Kelowna so I can let her rip.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:47 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaJ
Let's see, I never said it hadn't been rained on. It has.

But as clean as it is underneath I'm pretty sure it's never been on a wet road. The dealer that I bought it from said they never let it out for a test drive when the roads were wet, The previous owner trailered it to the dealer from his home 60 miles away, and they advertised it as having never been DRIVEN in the rain. It is spotless.
my 03 z has 50,000 miles and it has been in several rain storms and with a lil cleaning it still looks brand new on the underside, so I think your a lil foolish for saying about getting caught in the rain..lol
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 PM
torquetoyield
2nd Gear

Just bought an 04 C5 with 28k miles on it. It was very well taken care of by the previous owner. The owners manual has about 30 paper clips stuck at various important areas with highlighter marks. The guy was that **** about maintenance and care. It was probably never driven in the rain either. My guess is that he probably didn't enjoy the car very much because he got bored of it and traded it in.

I park my vette outside and I drive it in the rain. Its my daily driver and I will enjoy this car unlike the previous owner.

I say life is short and drive your vette everyday. It's not an investment. It's a pleasure.

That's not to say your car will fall apart. C5's are very reliable. Perform the maintenance and keep it clean. The miles will rack up fast, but the car can stay looking new.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Voodoo13
Racer

I live in Vancouver, if I never drive it in the rain I will never get to drive it!
I drive it every day, My Corvette is my dream car and I get to live the dream every day. When it gets old and tired and it wont go any more I am going to buy another one.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 PM
DTV
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My is a 01 Corvette over 100,000 miles, I drive it in rain and sometime in snow.
I feel the Vette was built to be driven.
And it still looks go today.
But on the other hand, it your Vette and do with it as you please and have a good time with it. Don't worry what other people think.

Get notified of new replies

To C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Old 08-09-2014, 04:17 PM
mrm13
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not driving your car "to preserve it" is like not sleeping with your wife to keep her for her next husband.
And let's get something clear. These are mass produced fast Chevys, not the pieces of rolling art that some owners tell themselves they are.
Not driving your Corvette is what the true definition of "letting her down" is.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM
searay
5th Gear

You're right about the car- should be driven; just like, well, your wife is meant to be driven hard!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 AM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm13
Not driving your car "to preserve it" is like not sleeping with your wife to keep her for her next husband.
And let's get something clear. These are mass produced fast Chevys, not the pieces of rolling art that some owners tell themselves they are.
Not driving your Corvette is what the true definition of "letting her down" is.
Ridiculous analogy! Lets make something clear, you have your own opinions, not necessarily shared by everyone, each to their own, there is no right or wrong on this subject, if you don't have a DD then obviously you drive it in all weather conditions, if you do then why would you.

Quick Reply: C5s Never driven in the rain.....