Sponsored by:

C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
This is the underside of my 99. Driven in the rain many times. Every time I have been caught in the rain it was with the Corvette Club on an overnight road trip. Rain won't hurt it, drive it. Don't join the crazy rain freaks that should be on the Dr. Phill show

Undercarriage looks extremely clean to have been driven in rain many times. What's your secret? Do you have a lift to put it up on & wash?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by BamaJ
Undercarriage looks extremely clean to have been driven in rain many times. What's your secret? Do you have a lift to put it up on & wash?
Low profile jack and jack stands. Clean it by hand once a year. Always in a garage when not driven. Sits for about 4 months due to the weather in Chicago. Last year was the worst sat for 5 months. I run the car in autocross and track events also.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM
bmoore03
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was raining the day I bought mine and drove it home.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No, not crazy.

I'd never drive mine in the rain...living in CA we have plenty of nice days throughout the year. I can drive my other cars if it's gonna rain.

Prefer to keep my Z pristine and new looking.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
Low profile jack and jack stands. Clean it by hand once a year. Always in a garage when not driven. Sits for about 4 months due to the weather in Chicago. Last year was the worst sat for 5 months. I run the car in autocross and track events also.
Thanks, you've obviously maintained it well. I guess I'll need to find someone with a lift, since I can't imagine trying to clean a vette while laying underneath flat on my back.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:51 PM
ToplessVetteAt42
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know many owners who have similar feelings, won't drive in rain etc.

For me and my convertible, I won't go out in the rain because the whole point for me is to drive with the top down. If I can't have the top down, frankly I'm not all that interested in driving it.

Now, that being said, a chance of rain won't stop me from taking it out. Occasionally it has rained coming home from somewhere, but I don't care.

To each his own!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Embarrassing owning a Corvette at times

This is how outsiders see Corvette Forums

Old 07-21-2014, 03:43 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Geez! It won't melt in the rain. It's not sugar. It won't rust. You can't really enjoy your car if you don't drive it. Yada. Yada Yada. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've had someone tell me these.

Is it beyond comprehension for some of you that there are those of us who really, truly enjoy our cars even though we don't drive them in the rain? Again, why are there people who are concerned about how I use my car? It boggles my mind. I don't care if you drive in rain, snow, sleet or hail. I've never given it a second thought. If that makes you happy, out friggin' standing.

Please stop telling us that we don't really enjoy our cars because we don't drive them like you think we should. I'm 65-years old and been around the block a few times. Don't feel sorry for me or lose any sleep over the fact that I have a garage queen. Seriously, I'm quite content.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM
The_Gray_Ghost
Instructor

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Geez! It won't melt in the rain. It's not sugar. It won't rust. You can't really enjoy your car if you don't drive it. Yada. Yada Yada. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've had someone tell me these.

Is it beyond comprehension for some of you that there are those of us who really, truly enjoy our cars even though we don't drive them in the rain? Again, why are there people who are concerned about how I use my car? It boggles my mind. I don't care if you drive in rain, snow, sleet or hail. I've never given it a second thought. If that makes you happy, out friggin' standing.

Please stop telling us that we don't really enjoy our cars because we don't drive them like you think we should. I'm 65-years old and been around the block a few times. Don't feel sorry for me or lose any sleep over the fact that I have a garage queen. Seriously, I'm quite content.
Some people apparently buy these cars to put in a garage and look at.

Some people buy them to drive and enjoy.

If you are enjoying your car by looking at it sitting there, then by all means more power to you!

I just don't see how anyone could do that and not take it out and drive it. I know after I wash my car, I love looking at the thing...it's beautiful. BUT...it's not half as fun to look at as it is to actually drive.

IMO if I want a C5 just to look at and never drive because I'm worried about it getting wet, I'll buy a poster. I don't spend $20k+ on something I plan on getting no use out of whatsoever other than to maybe look at it twice a week for five minutes.

Now, that's just me. Like I, and you, said, it's your car...do what you want. Just be happy because life is short.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

First I must state that my car is not that clean.

I've always said fun is where you find it, and if something so simple to achieve gives you pleasure, you are doing all right.

Fair weather sailor is a term used for guys that avoid weather.

It is a semi derisive term from those who don't avoid weather to the other sailors who do, so it doesn't exactly apply to car enjoyment, but is a common expression. Sailors are somewhat expected to have the tested ability to sail in weather or else everybody dies.

Pleasure sailing is a different deal, but the label is still often used, as a short hand.

I once left the top down on a pretty little TR 6, a dark navy blue with light powder blue interior. A Florida rain squall blew though while I was inside shopping and left a couple of inches of water inside. I got in and drove away, no sweat. The only objection from the next buyer was that I was getting rid of the wrong thing. He said I should keep the car and ditch the girl. Smart guy.

Last edited by strand rider; 03-22-2015 at 01:22 AM. Reason: too negative, as always
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Like Devil Dog and myself being in the Chicago area, they say if you do not like the weather, wait 15 Min. it will change. I like going on group Corvette Caravans , if I would worry about the rain I would never go on a caravan.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait until you blow a differential seal...which will eventually happen. Then it won't look clean again. Even if you power wash it to clean it.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
KKB doesn't have a "driven in the rain" option yet.
No but they should. That should take off a lot of the value. since it has melted a a great deal and the paint has rain runs in it!

Rain, rain go away or my Corvette cannot come out and play!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:23 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LKYMN
I was told that if a Corvette gets wet it shrinks into a "Chevette"

That shrinking stuff is bad. Heard of one guy that drove his Vette so much in the rain, that the back of the car no longer says, "Corvette", but just "C".

Last edited by bikeriderga; 07-21-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

OK here is your Vette after being the in rain

Any questions???
Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 PM
The_Gray_Ghost
Instructor

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
OK here is your Vette after being the in rain

Any questions???
Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 AM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great find! I don't intentionally drive it in the rain, but have been caught in it. DD's are for rain or foul weather driving.

Get notified of new replies

To C5s Never driven in the rain.....

Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by The_Gray_Ghost
You will be surprised what a little buffing out and wax will do to restore it to perfect condition again!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

4 years that I have owned it and it has never seen rain or a wet towel.22.800 miles on the odom.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by black match box
4 years that I have owned it and it has never seen rain or a wet towel.22.800 miles on the odom.

Must be kind of dirty by now!

Quick Reply: C5s Never driven in the rain.....