FYI ceramic brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Bill. I think you should get back into that 2" flair thread you started and allowed to go into more tangents than a Japanese throwing star.
You area lighter of fuses and then you run and wait to see what happens.. LOL/.
You are a fuse lighter and I am a train wreck conductor...its what we do.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds like a blast.

But come on Evil Twin, everyone knows that you engineer types all analyse every detail to death so when you have to make that panic stop you will have to go over in your head all of your options before you slam on the brakes.

I, on the other hand, being a simple man will skip that part and be the one who stops three feet short.

Beware of the ignorant.

Haha.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

2 glasses of wine with dinner, driving home from the movies at 11:30, heading to work at 5:30 am, any of the above 30 years ago..."always the same person"? Ok. The fact remains that everyone's reaction time is different and can change within hours or minutes negating that 2-3 foot margin regardless of brake material. Doubt if we'll ever see an accident investigation report that finds ceramic brake pads at fault. How many feet will worn rubber brake hoses cost? If the argument is "Do semi-metallic pads have a higher coefficient of friction than ceramic all things being equal" then the answer is yes. Not living in an all things being equal world who cares? It can be over-simplified or over complicated. Seems both are going on here. Self serving comments excepted this has been some great dialog as expected.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:03 PM
c5coast
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"But before I defend what I know on this matter as an absolute expert, I will not respond further. Take my information or leave it. I feel responsible when people ( members ) ( friends) make a poor decision , Its my duty to express my concern. Again, take it or leave it."

Trust is at short demand these days and I trust ET. For those that continue to solicit ET on this matter his word is his bond. When he's done he's done. Remember when a handshake was a man's word/bond?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by c5coast
"But before I defend what I know on this matter as an absolute expert, I will not respond further. Take my information or leave it. I feel responsible when people ( members ) ( friends) make a poor decision , Its my duty to express my concern. Again, take it or leave it."

Trust is at short demand these days and I trust ET. For those that continue to solicit ET on this matter his word is his bond. When he's done he's done. Remember when a handshake was a man's word/bond?
well unfortunately, I did respond further, which I am trying hard not to do...
It serves me no purpose to argue with anyone. IM too sick to get upset. Ive tried to deliver what I know to be true but I keep getting sucked back into these discussions.. the good news is IM starting to get it. The perfect scenario for me would be to offer my help , advice and knowledge in a single post and get out.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by norcalace
2 glasses of wine with dinner, driving home from the movies at 11:30, heading to work at 5:30 am, any of the above 30 years ago..."always the same person"? Ok. The fact remains that everyone's reaction time is different and can change within hours or minutes negating that 2-3 foot margin regardless of brake material. Doubt if we'll ever see an accident investigation report that finds ceramic brake pads at fault. How many feet will worn rubber brake hoses cost? If the argument is "Do semi-metallic pads have a higher coefficient of friction than ceramic all things being equal" then the answer is yes. Not living in an all things being equal world who cares? It can be over-simplified or over complicated. Seems both are going on here. Self serving comments excepted this has been some great dialog as expected.
Again.. VERY thin Soup..... no matter what the reaction time you have today , tomorrow or 30 years ago.. the distance to stop will be shorter with high frictional compounds over harder ceramics.. given the same reaction time These arguments that skirt the simple facts are hilarious....one of the reason I get so entertained by some of the retorts... Hard to believe some people's capacity or lack of it, to understand very simple values.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Again.. VERY thin Soup..... no matter what the reaction time you have today , tomorrow or 30 years ago.. the distance to stop will be shorter with high frictional compounds over harder ceramics.. given the same reaction time These arguments that skirt the simple facts are hilarious....one of the reason I get so entertained by some of the retorts... Hard to believe some people's capacity or lack of it, to understand very simple values.
Reaction time is indeed irrelevant, but your assertions on pad compound are still false.

Low friction ceramic pads still offer enough friction to overwhelm cold street tires, therefore higher friction pads will NOT affect panic stopping distance.

Maybe if you're towing a heavy trailer on a dry sticky road with warmed up racing slicks the pad compound would matter, but not in an unloaded car on street tires. There simply is not enough traction available at the tires to make use of the extra potential torque from the higher friction pads.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Maybe if you re-read my post you might pick up on what I actually said as opposed to what you wanted it to say. Throwing insults endears you to no one except maybe yourself. Really uncalled for don't you think?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IM too sick to get upset.

I didn't know that.

I was just having some fun.

I'll just drop it now and move along.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Bigbaddad59
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ceramic brakes are "all that", why doesn't Nascar use them?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbaddad59
Maybe it would cut down on the number of caution flags, and they couldn't sell as much ad time.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbaddad59
Huh??!! You're joking right? NASCAR who only recently got rid of carburetors and went to "state of the art" fuel injection in their "cars of tomorrow".
Old 07-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Maybe it would cut down on the number of caution flags, and they couldn't sell as much ad time.
Im hoping this is a joke because Professional racing is totally supported by the sponsors, many of the safety devices and equipment found on todays cars come from professional race teams use on the track.
Thing like rear view mirrors have their roots in racing. Brakes systems have been vetted through the Professional race track.
Ceramic brakes are used in many cases but not the type we use on our street cars, Ceramic rotors and pad components have a place when designed for a specific purpose but these rotors and calipers and brake compound are in the 15,000 to 20,000 dollar range,and used in professional racing circuits, not the 1000 to 5000 range that supports our street legal automotive pallet.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Huh??!! You're joking right? NASCAR who only recently got rid of carburetors and went to "state of the art" fuel injection in their "cars of tomorrow".
Yeah, who knows? Maybe if we're lucky some of that forward-thinking technology could trickle down to street cars.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Low friction ceramic pads still offer enough friction to overwhelm cold street tires, therefore higher friction pads will NOT affect panic stopping distance.

That is similar to what I concluded but it comes with conditions. I had the GM ceramic pads on my car for a while. At typical highway speeds around 60-70mph I could hit the brakes and engage the ABS throughout the stop. When braking from around 130mph I couldn't kick-in the ABS for the last part of the stop because they were fading. I have 275/30/19 & 305/30/19 RE-11's on the car so my tires are fairly sticky compared to many of the tires being used on C5's.

Kinetic energy is proportional to the velocity squared so stopping from 130mph meant the brakes had to dissipate 4X the energy compared to the stop from 65mph. So, what I found made sense since it's typically claimed that ceramic pads fade as they get hot.

I basically tried those stops just to see what the brakes would do because of other threads like this. I concluded that I wasn't losing any stopping power with the ceramic pads when used during my typical driving.

It's easy to do panic stop tests from some typical speeds you drive and then you will know if your car is brake limited or traction limited during a panic stop.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 07-24-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

From that I see the these treads if want to realy stop right now at speed going to be some black stuff all over the place .. I went to the ceramic pads cuse of my wife I had HSP Pads I liked them we went on a long trip she got some for the black on her and had a fit so tryed the ceramic just not the same so some GOJOE and get over it .. I am going back to the black stuff O-well tryed ...
Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

In an attempt to get this thread back on track I thought I would toss out that I'm replacing my front brakes and rotors with AC Delco Dura Stops which are OEM equivalent. The pads are ceramic!
The AC Delco part # for the pads is 17D731CH and for the rotors are 18A946 and 18A947. There is still 50% left on the rear brakes that are original and therefore will not be touched.
I opted to go with ceramics vs semi-metalics for minimizing brake dust and other reasons provided in prior posts. I understand there's two sides to this coin and comes down to personal preference. My car is only driven 2,500 miles/year and not tracked. I have been happy with the stock brakes and find no reason to get crazy with overkill on the brakes based on how the car is used. Just my $.02!

Get notified of new replies

To FYI ceramic brake pads.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ironranger
In an attempt to get this thread back on track I thought I would toss out that I'm replacing my front brakes and rotors with AC Delco Dura Stops which are OEM equivalent. The pads are ceramic!
The AC Delco part # for the pads is 17D731CH and for the rotors are 18A946 and 18A947. There is still 50% left on the rear brakes that are original and therefore will not be touched.
I opted to go with ceramics vs semi-metalics for minimizing brake dust and other reasons provided in prior posts. I understand there's two sides to this coin and comes down to personal preference. My car is only driven 2,500 miles/year and not tracked. I have been happy with the stock brakes and find no reason to get crazy with overkill on the brakes based on how the car is used. Just my $.02!
I could be mistaken, but when I changed out the original pads on my Vette, I would have sworn they were semi-metallics, not ceramics. Maybe others can either confirm or contradict this as it relates to their Vettes.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Murder_C5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people just drive 35 on flat straight roads.

I live in the mountains & love the track. less dusty, less stoppie...
Old 10-28-2021, 04:03 PM
Music
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched my front brake pads and rotors to Brembo (ceramic pad) over 5 years ago and they haven`t even half worn yet. I have put over 50,000 kms on these brakes that includes winter driving each season. They have maintained a truer rotor than the OEM pads/rotors did and braking is no worse than the OEM combo. I switched my rear pads over to AutoShack ceramic pads for use with the OEM rotors recently. So far, the Brembo/AutoShack ceramic combo has been outstanding.

Quick Reply: FYI ceramic brake pads.