Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly depressing!

Old 07-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Donutz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slightly depressing!

I got my C5 a week and 6 days ago. It has been great mechanically... but within a few days of ownership, I realized the CD palyer doesn't work, the Cigarette lighter outlet doesn't work, HUD is out of adjustment, Key FOB not working all the time, EBCM broken (I keep getting all of the lights, signals, codes and all)!!! Little minor stuff! The car itself looks and runs great! Anyhow, I tried the easiest and cheapest thing with most items... checking fuses and grounds. Yep, the grounds had corrosion. I was hoping that would fix the EBCM issues. I hooked it all back up... and NOPE! Still getting all of the signals. I think I'm gonna have to do the repair to the unit. Next was the CD player. I took it out and performed the cleaning on the laser. I put it back in and tried the CD player. I still get ERR... Even with a very clean purchased disc (not burnt). So if someone knows a fix for it that doesn't have to do with cleaning a lens, let me know! Tomorrow I think I'm going to attempt doing the HUD fix. (drilling the hole and putting a screw in there).
Anyhow, I just felt like venting a bit about the Vette!!! I don't know if it is just me... but it seems like these things have a lot of small issues. Kinda Junky in a way... I have always been a Chevy owner and this car seems to have the most issues of any car!
It was and still is my dream car to have! I'm thrilled to have it!!! I just wish I could get everything working as it should!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Donutz
I got my C5 a week and 6 days ago. It has been great mechanically... but within a few days of ownership, I realized the CD palyer doesn't work, the Cigarette lighter outlet doesn't work, HUD is out of adjustment, Key FOB not working all the time, EBCM broken (I keep getting all of the lights, signals, codes and all)!!! Little minor stuff! The car itself looks and runs great! Anyhow, I tried the easiest and cheapest thing with most items... checking fuses and grounds. Yep, the grounds had corrosion. I was hoping that would fix the EBCM issues. I hooked it all back up... and NOPE! Still getting all of the signals. I think I'm gonna have to do the repair to the unit. Next was the CD player. I took it out and performed the cleaning on the laser. I put it back in and tried the CD player. I still get ERR... Even with a very clean purchased disc (not burnt). So if someone knows a fix for it that doesn't have to do with cleaning a lens, let me know! Tomorrow I think I'm going to attempt doing the HUD fix. (drilling the hole and putting a screw in there).
Anyhow, I just felt like venting a bit about the Vette!!! I don't know if it is just me... but it seems like these things have a lot of small issues. Kinda Junky in a way... I have always been a Chevy owner and this car seems to have the most issues of any car!
It was and still is my dream car to have! I'm thrilled to have it!!! I just wish I could get everything working as it should!

If I may ask a question...
Why didn't you check out the car before you bought it?
You come on here and whine about the issues, You have to remember your car is 16 years old, Sure there is going to be issues with a 16 year old car.
Sorry you are not happy with your car, The C5 is a great car for the money.
Now the really bad news, You have a 1999 C5 and the EBCM isn't available any more and to top it off it can't be fixed.
Hope you get it to your liking, I after 8 years still smile when I get into mine.
Mr.Bill
Old 07-20-2014, 01:54 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That was pretty harsh.

Haha.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:56 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
That was pretty harsh.

Haha.
Not harsh at all, I was being easy. You want to see harsh? lol
Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha.

You do know that he wasn't talking about your c5, right?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 AM
Donutz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
If I may ask a question...
Why didn't you check out the car before you bought it?
You come on here and whine about the issues, You have to remember your car is 16 years old, Sure there is going to be issues with a 16 year old car.
Sorry you are not happy with your car, The C5 is a great car for the money.
Now the really bad news, You have a 1999 C5 and the EBCM isn't available any more and to top it off it can't be fixed.
Hope you get it to your liking, I after 8 years still smile when I get into mine.
Mr.Bill
Bill, I wasn't Whining one bit. I was venting a bit. I still love my car. As far as checking it out, I did for the main things. Also, it wasn't showing any problems with EBCM. I didn't bring a CD with me to try it as I didn't care. I didn't bring a cig lighter accessory as I didn't think about it. I didn't think about trying out the FOB as I have never had a car that had so many problems with these. I did see the HUD having a problem and I didn't care too much about that fufu $hit. I wanted a good and hard running car. Maybe I'm not as perfect as you to care about the fufu garbage. Maybe you haven't spent much time on this forum... maybe you have, but in the DIY portion of the forum, there is a part about pulling the EBCM out and fixing the cold soldiers! Did you know about that tough guy??? I'm VERY happy with my C5... so don't put words in my mouth if you don't know WTF you are talking about. Have a great Sunday!!! I know I will!

Last edited by Donutz; 07-20-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:19 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Bill, I wasn't Whining one bit. I was venting a bit. I still love my car. Maybe you haven't spent much time on this forum... maybe you have, but in the DIY portion of the forum, there is a part about pulling the EBCM out and fixing the cold soldiers! Did you know about that tough guy??? I'm VERY happy with my C5... so don't put words in my mouth if you don't know WTF you are talking about. Have a great Sunday!!! I know I will!

No I don't spend much time on here and I haven't a clue about C5's.
I am sorry I read your post wrong and took it as whining, Please forgive me.
Mr.Bill.
PS, Maybe I should spend more time on here so I know what I am talking about..

In your words, I am sorry I don't know wtf I am talking about.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 AM
Donutz
Instructor

Mr.Bill.

Its alright. We are all humans! But they do actually have a DIY section that fixes most common problems. My main problem is that two of the things I tried didn't work. They are nonessential items... so not a big deal. I just figured since it was a rainy evening, I'd pull the Vette apart and try to fix those small things. Tomorrow I plan on the HUD and maybe in a week or two I'll focus on the EBCM. As the forum talks about it, you can pull it out and still drive the Vette. Seems like a very simple fix. On a different note, we may have something in common Mr. Bill. My Father In Law works for a high profile figure in Nascar....
Old 07-20-2014, 02:32 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Its alright. We are all humans! But they do actually have a DIY section that fixes most common problems. My main problem is that two of the things I tried didn't work. They are nonessential items... so not a big deal. I just figured since it was a rainy evening, I'd pull the Vette apart and try to fix those small things. Tomorrow I plan on the HUD and maybe in a week or two I'll focus on the EBCM. As the forum talks about it, you can pull it out and still drive the Vette. Seems like a very simple fix. On a different note, we may have something in common Mr. Bill. My Father In Law works for a high profile figure in Nascar....
I have done my share of NASCAR and have met most of the drivers when in the media center.
Good luck with your repairs.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:33 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Dis someone ask for harsh ?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:38 AM
jmccrary
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr.Bill.

I must say, this is kind of funny...although my 11 yr old car has had its slight amount of issues, but when i get mad and take her out, pushing hard on the gas usually makes me remember what I have. Finding issues with the car sucks, but finding a way to fix it (besides having to take half the interior apart to replace anything sucks) is great. Don't worry Bill, I don't know what I'm talking about either

So, I guess to get a car with no issues is to buy a new one...wait, I did that too, luckily there is the warranty

Oh, and I should get my car back in a few weeks...paint issues...so new paint job...maybe I should vent about that cost!!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmccrary
I must say, this is kind of funny...although my 11 yr old car has had its slight amount of issues, but when i get mad and take her out, pushing hard on the gas usually makes me remember what I have. Finding issues with the car sucks, but finding a way to fix it (besides having to take half the interior apart to replace anything sucks) is great. Don't worry Bill, I don't know what I'm talking about either

So, I guess to get a car with no issues is to buy a new one...wait, I did that too, luckily there is the warranty

Oh, and I should get my car back in a few weeks...paint issues...so new paint job...maybe I should vent about that cost!!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

In dash CD or changer in rear?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Tuff love is not harsh.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

The most common problem with trunk mounted CD players is the operator putting the CD's in upside down. They go in just the opposite of what you think.
As for the EBCM, what year is your car?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 AM
hoosiervette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Be nice ET. lol
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
The most common problem with trunk mounted CD players is the operator putting the CD's in upside down. They go in just the opposite of what you think.
As for the EBCM, what year is your car?
Yep. I did that. I thought "Oh shet." Then I read the owners manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Slightly depressing!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You'll get there - it's part of the fun!

^^^^ - sheesh... that sounded like we own C3's!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you find a way to fix the EBCM on a pre-2001 car, post it up. I don't recall anyone having done so yet. I'm sure there will be many here interested in how you got it to work.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

You made coffe come out of my nose

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slightly depressing!