Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly depressing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

This is entirely too civilized...did everybody take a huge dose of valium before they logged on this morning?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

but it seems like these things have a lot of small issues. Kinda Junky in a way... I have always been a Chevy owner and this car seems to have the most issues of any car!
aint that the truth. Turned me off to ownership after 3 of them
Fun to drive nice to look at but a pita to work on plus being boned on the corvette tax for parts. Pass

Look at the issues the C7s have holy cheeee.....cant wait to see C7 tech in 5-10 yrs lol.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
aint that the truth. Turned me off to ownership after 3 of them
Fun to drive nice to look at but a pita to work on plus being boned on the corvette tax for parts. Pass

Look at the issues the C7s have holy cheeee.....cant wait to see C7 tech in 5-10 yrs lol.
They over engineered everything and used high tech gimmickry where it wasn't needed. It started with the C4s and snowballed. The cars themselves might last forever but the electronics last about 10 years and cost a fortune to service and replace. I guess all new cars are like that.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 AM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If you find a way to fix the EBCM on a pre-2001 car, post it up. I don't recall anyone having done so yet. I'm sure there will be many here interested in how you got it to work.
This is one of the main reasons I spent months hunting down an 01 besides all the other updates they did to the 01 What is kinda funny is I got the car for cheaper cos although it was an 01, it had the EBCM issue. Its ALOT cheaper fix in the 01s and up though...

Anyways, don't let it get it you down - it will be worth the effort in the long run. I have owned many custom cars and this is my first C5. I never been so ecstatic in a car and its surprising the amount of attention it gets even in basically stock form!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:58 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yeah, Mr Bill hasn't spent much time on here at all!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Yeah, Mr Bill hasn't spent much time on here at all!

And I don't know what I am talking about...
Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
They over engineered everything and used high tech gimmickry where it wasn't needed. It started with the C4s and snowballed. The cars themselves might last forever but the electronics last about 10 years and cost a fortune to service and replace. I guess all new cars are like that.
Well they have to justify the $55-$85,000 price tag some how! The engineers must have contests to see who can develop the next new whiz-bang option that will be the must have for new well healed buyers.

I have never owned a C2 and probably never will, but If I had one available to me, I imagine I would love taking it out on a Sunday afternoon. No active handling, no ecbm, no hud, no memory seats, hell maybe no AC, but a boat load of fun. The C5 has been an affordable sports car for me to own that has more to offer than my capability to use. It was her looks that hooked me, just like the 57 C1, the 63 Split window C2, and the 68 C3.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:09 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Donutz
I got my C5 a week and 6 days ago. It has been great mechanically... but within a few days of ownership, I realized the CD palyer doesn't work, the Cigarette lighter outlet doesn't work, HUD is out of adjustment, Key FOB not working all the time, EBCM broken (I keep getting all of the lights, signals, codes and all)!!! Little minor stuff! The car itself looks and runs great! Anyhow, I tried the easiest and cheapest thing with most items... checking fuses and grounds. Yep, the grounds had corrosion. I was hoping that would fix the EBCM issues. I hooked it all back up... and NOPE! Still getting all of the signals. I think I'm gonna have to do the repair to the unit. Next was the CD player. I took it out and performed the cleaning on the laser. I put it back in and tried the CD player. I still get ERR... Even with a very clean purchased disc (not burnt). So if someone knows a fix for it that doesn't have to do with cleaning a lens, let me know! Tomorrow I think I'm going to attempt doing the HUD fix. (drilling the hole and putting a screw in there). Anyhow, I just felt like venting a bit about the Vette!!! I don't know if it is just me... but it seems like these things have a lot of small issues. Kinda Junky in a way... I have always been a Chevy owner and this car seems to have the most issues of any car! It was and still is my dream car to have! I'm thrilled to have it!!! I just wish I could get everything working as it should!
Just curious what you paid for it and how many miles are on it? If you paid top dollar and it has low miles I'll give you a break, if you got a steal and it has high miles quit your bitching
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Dis someone ask for harsh ?
bahahaha
Old 07-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
And I don't know what I am talking about...
Thank god I got lucky reading your tech threads and they actually worked! Must have been a fluke.

BTW, thanks for all your help Bill! Now study up on the DIY threads and learn something about the C5.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I got my C5 a week and 6 days ago. It has been great mechanically... but within a few days of ownership, I realized the CD palyer doesn't work, the Cigarette lighter outlet doesn't work, HUD is out of adjustment, Key FOB not working all the time, EBCM broken (I keep getting all of the lights, signals, codes and all)!!! Little minor stuff!
Anyhow, I just felt like venting a bit about the Vette!!! I don't know if it is just me... but it seems like these things have a lot of small issues. Kinda Junky in a way...
Seriously though dude just trade that "Junky" C5 in for a new C7 then you'll have warranty and a working cigarette/power outlet. I don't know why you didn't just buy a new one to begin with.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:38 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I got my C5 a week and 6 days ago. It has been great mechanically... but within a few days of ownership, I realized the CD palyer doesn't work, the Cigarette lighter outlet doesn't work, HUD is out of adjustment, Key FOB not working all the time, EBCM broken (I keep getting all of the lights, signals, codes and all)!!! Little minor stuff! The car itself looks and runs great! Anyhow, I tried the easiest and cheapest thing with most items... checking fuses and grounds. Yep, the grounds had corrosion. I was hoping that would fix the EBCM issues. I hooked it all back up... and NOPE! Still getting all of the signals. I think I'm gonna have to do the repair to the unit. Next was the CD player. I took it out and performed the cleaning on the laser. I put it back in and tried the CD player. I still get ERR... Even with a very clean purchased disc (not burnt). So if someone knows a fix for it that doesn't have to do with cleaning a lens, let me know! Tomorrow I think I'm going to attempt doing the HUD fix. (drilling the hole and putting a screw in there).
Anyhow, I just felt like venting a bit about the Vette!!! I don't know if it is just me... but it seems like these things have a lot of small issues. Kinda Junky in a way... I have always been a Chevy owner and this car seems to have the most issues of any car!
It was and still is my dream car to have! I'm thrilled to have it!!! I just wish I could get everything working as it should!

1. Cig Lighter -- Check the fuses. Worst case, you have to replace the cig lighter assembly. Parts house, pretty cheap.

Here's a link for you:
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/inter...e-lighter.html

2. CD -- Seems like you found that the CDs were upside down.

3. HUD -- You have a HUD on a 1999? Someone else put that HUD in the car. They did not come with HUDs in 99. You can try the screw. Do not know what else to tell you. Could have to replace the unit.

4. EBCM -- Out of luck if it is truly defective. Pre 2001s, there is no true fix and no replacements (except a used one off EBay). You can drive it, but you will not have ABS.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^
1999 was the first year for HUD RPO UV6
Old 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Lighter: Are both sockets dead? (There's another one inside the console.) Note that they are on separate fuses, #7 for lighter, #1 for aux power. Probably just a loose wire in the connector on the back of the socket, but if it's the lighter plug itself that doesn't work, those can be bought at any parts store. Or take it as a sign that you need to give up smoking.

CD player: The most common problem with them is that they play CDs. Seriously. Best fix is a new head unit, preferably something designed this century with a USB plug on the front for mass quantities of MP3 files. Also frees up storage space in the back when you take out the changer.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by F&Yb0dluvr
^^
1999 was the first year for HUD RPO UV6
I stand corrected.. Was thinking that option was not available until 2000, but you are correct, in 1999 that was the option code for the HUD.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:41 PM
j.grif
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Mr. Bill for your humilityand being an excellent sport, I too recently bought a 99 c5, before I read all the stickys about pre 2001, 3000 miles later, I'm still smiling, today, I did the first oil and filter and was looking under the car and found titanium mufflers. I thought it was a bit loud when on the gas, never been so happy after changing the oil ever. I sure hope Donutz gets his equals figured out!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:13 PM
GySgt1811
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j.grif
Thank you Mr. Bill for your humilityand being an excellent sport, I too recently bought a 99 c5, before I read all the stickys about pre 2001, 3000 miles later, I'm still smiling, today, I did the first oil and filter and was looking under the car and found titanium mufflers. I thought it was a bit loud when on the gas, never been so happy after changing the oil ever. I sure hope Donutz gets his equals figured out!
Ditto! I was looking for some way to acknowledge your extensive and long term contribution. j.grif said it for me.

Best Regards,

Gunny John

Get notified of new replies

To Slightly depressing!

Old 07-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I hope I'm not this cranky in 20-30 years

OP,

Welcome to the joys of an old car. I've replaced more stuff on my C5 than any car I've ever owned. It's also one of the first cars I've owned that had around 100k miles on it when I bought it. For the price, it's still a bargain and I've learned a lot about cars fixing and upgrading it.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Donutz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I gotta say... Sorry if I was an @SS last night!! I had quite a bit of Jameson prior to hopping on the computer!

The Cig lighter thing, I just need to go to radio shack and get a new outlet. Both fuses are fine and the outlet it just intermittent. The HUD was a factory install. So, I'm hoping the screw method will fix it.
The EBCM, I was un-aware that all of the fixes that have been posted for it were not for all of the C5's. I thought that was a standard fix. I guess I'm screwed for fixing that and getting the lights out. Lastly, the CD player is an in dash CD player. I installed the CD's both ways. Both times it just says ERR. After removing it and doing the cleaning and all, I'm left to believe that it is just not working correctly.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha.

Quick Reply: Slightly depressing!