Sponsored by:

It happened two weeks ago

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It happened two weeks ago

I went out of town for a few days and when I drove in the driveway I found the garage door open and my Vette was gone. Nobody saw or heard a thing. My home security company said there were no alarms. There were no signs of forced entry. The only thing we can see are tire marks made by something with dual wheels that the thieves backed into the driveway. Obviously they towed it away.

I haven't felt like talking about it let alone posting anything about it here. I'm covered for full replacement value so I know I will get enough money to buy another car but that doesn't really make me feel that much better. This is the first time in my life that I have had a house broken into or anything stolen and I hope it is the last time.

The really odd thing about myself in all of this is that I can't really get excited about looking for another c5. I will probably get a Z06 this time but I just don't feel like looking. I'm sure I'll snap out of it sooner or later so I will be back with some pictures of a new to me c5 of some kind but it may be a while.

Take care everybody and be sure your insurance is up to date and that your house and garages are locked like Fort Knox.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry to hear about the theft of your car. Sucks that they were able to take it and no one heard a thing and no alarm went off. Give it a little time and you'll be ready to find a replacement.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry man, makes me sick reading that
Old 07-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Sounds like a repo job, I hope you do ok on finding another Vette. Give it a month and you will be missing it and looking for another.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 AM
BobbyC5
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry about your vette. I'd feel the same if I was in your new shoes. My advice; Get a new one, drive it, fall in love. You'll feel better. Best of luck.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:48 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow that sucks. Nothing like having somebody breaking in AND taking your property - you feel violated
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

With today's technology, selling the complete car in this country will be difficult without some trace following it. Any time it is serviced (at most places)the VIN will be sent to Car Fax etc....I would suspect it'll either leave the country or be parted out, ,where it can still be traced.
It may still show up.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like somebody knew you were going to be gone for a while.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

I'm really sorry about what happened to you. It is scary... Did they get into your house too, or it was only the garage?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using IB AutoGroup
Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Wow...sorry to hear this. Hope you can find out what happened to it someday. Get another one soon.

Hope this can make you laugh a bit,

Have you tried to contact Chip Foose? Maybe they have it for a new Overhaulin' show...
Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry for your problem, that wouldn't be a good feeling knowing that you've been violated!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:08 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to hear about this I told my old lady that if we go on vacation overseas or somewhere for more than a day or two, the vette is going to secured and monitored storage. She thinks I'm crazy because our area is very safe (neighbor is a sheriff too lol) but I would only feel better if I did that. Sure insurance can pay for it, but you can never buy back the time / effort put into it and the memories...

Its a sad world we live in these days and it only gets worse

Last edited by vettefx76; 07-20-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:06 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Some guys are good at their jobs, even thieves. I read about a guy with a dedicated cinder block enclosure with razor wire and armored steel doors, they lifted the car out with a crane.

Cars are better than ever, hope the insurance check is strong.

Back before cars had computers, some low riders, (guys who have a lot invested in their cars) used to hook up batteries so that if you touched the car, you got a shock. Heard a few stories about late nights and thieves who were unable to release the door handle, even with the very scary owner advancing toward them. A very illegal modification that could get you in more trouble than the thief, but made for some good stories.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
Did they get into your house too, or it was only the garage?
I've seen quite a few security systems that do not have any sensors on the main garage door, just on outside entry doors into the garage and the door between the garage and house. When you think about it, you would have to put a very long delay on the alarm arming if the main door is rigged, to allow for getting in the car, starting up, backing out, and closing it again. Ditto for the disarm coming back in.
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I assume that most if not all of you are aware that breaking into a garage that has the conventional garage door opener takes a thief 10 seconds or less. The video shows how this can be done as well as a SIMPLE solution that will prevent it:
It's not quite as easy as they make it look in that video, especially in the dark on a garage door without windows. It also depends on the opener and how it is installed. I tried it on mine and it's nearly impossible, due to the angles involved: you can hook the release rope but there's no way to pull it. You'd have to hook the actual release latch, which on mine is about an inch long with rounded corners...even knowing exactly where it was, I couldn't make it work.
That said, if I'm going to be out of town overnight, the garage door gets padlocked down on the inside.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Have you tried to contact Chip Foose? Maybe they have it for a new Overhaulin' show...
Overhaulin' usually only keeps a car for a week...maybe the leopard-skin upholstery fabric is back-ordered.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

That blows man… I had a my truck stolen about 2 years ago and at first forgot that I had a GPS tracking unit in it. I pulled it right up on my computer and had cops on it by 9 am that morning. Not that it helps now but for your future car there are several companies that sell GPS tracking units and they are very affordable now and can get you your car back. Another idea that I did when I had my Harley's in my garage was to have the alarm company come out and install sensors on my roll up garage door/doors most do not install any sensors on the roll up doors unless you ask for them too. Doesn't sound like yours had them.

you said you'd probably get a Z06 this time so go out and start looking at some. I bet the first time you sit in one or take one for a drive you'll be all into picking out your new car. I love my C5 and have it over insured so if someone wants it well I'd miss it but I'd have a hay day getting me a new one and spending the extra money modding it all out again. Good luck brotha
Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

I've done more than my share of repoing and trust me If someone wants a car bad enough and has the ***** to do it they will get it no matter what especially with a tow truck.
I agree it does sound like they may have used a repo type truck with a wheel lift, possibly a hidden wheel lift since nobody noticed anything. I know when I go after a car if I have easy access (in the open nothing blocking it in) to it I can have it hooked and gone in easily less than a minute more like 30 seconds from the time I start to back up till the time I pull out. I go down the road a mile or so then stop and secure it all down. Pretty tough to stop someone with a tow truck and some *****. Thats when that GPS unit would really come in handy

Get notified of new replies

To It happened two weeks ago

Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, that's 'effing terrible...talk about being/feeling violated. Sorry to hear man.

Thieving scumbags are everywhere (as we know, Fresno has it's fair share).

Anyhow, hope you get an even better replacement and the sting fades.

Good luck with the situation.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Totally depends on the garage door opener and the skill/previous experience of the person trying to hook the rope or latch.

IMHO worth the few cents to use a plastic tie for those that are uncertain if their door can be opened easily that way or not.
I really wanna go try this out on my door and as soon as it stops raining I am. Can't wait to tell my neighbors that I'm just practicing on breaking into my garage door
Old 07-20-2014, 05:21 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Most of those garage doors have a lock in the center of the door that can be turned that extends two bars out to the side which lock into the side rails of the door. Just lock that before you leave.

Quick Reply: It happened two weeks ago