Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It happened two weeks ago

Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
I really wanna go try this out on my door and as soon as it stops raining I am. Can't wait to tell my neighbors that I'm just practicing on breaking into my garage door
They'll be thrilled, especially if they have the same kind of door and opener.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sad to hear of your loss, hope you can find your replacement soon, and that it is even better than the one you lost!

I have a zip-tie on my garage door latch release as of today!

Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So, I have been thinking about this for a day now, something does not sound right here, sounds dead on like a repo (especially if it was a dually pickup), I HIGHLY doubt thieves would break into a garage, back a tow truck up, hook up and leave, there is just too much at risk. These cars are not the easiest to start without the key, what are they going to do with it? Part it out? That would be the only option. Any more info OP? Not trying to be a dic& but there is more to the story that we have not heard. If it was not repo'd then I really hope they find it for you.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:20 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the supportive comments. It's not the car so much but more about having something taken away. Cars come and go. I could have just as easily been hit by a truck. I decided to go ahead and post about it more to remind others that it can and does happen. Maybe it will inspire some of you to take a few more precautions and spare someone a little pain aggravation.

In the meantime I probably won't be hanging around here much so I want to say thanks to all of those that have offered their help over the last two and a half years. I'm not sure right now but I may be back.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette Don
So, I have been thinking about this for a day now, something does not sound right here, sounds dead on like a repo (especially if it was a dually pickup), I HIGHLY doubt thieves would break into a garage, back a tow truck up, hook up and leave, there is just too much at risk. These cars are not the easiest to start without the key, what are they going to do with it? Part it out? That would be the only option. Any more info OP? Not trying to be a dic& but there is more to the story that we have not heard. If it was not repo'd then I really hope they find it for you.
I have had the misfortune of talking to a lot of "dics" but don't worry, you're not too bad.

I haven't had a car loan in 30 years so it wasn't a "repo". I didn't say it was a "dually pickup", I said it was something with "dual wheels". We were looking at the tire marks Friday and came to the conclusion that what ever it was it had a pretty long wheel base. More like a flat bed tow truck. They had to drive it forward a couple of times to make the turn while backing in and they had to drive it into areas that rarely get driven on so the marks are easy to see. The front tires were really digging in when making the turns while backing up so they left some pretty dark marks on the concrete. There are a lot of things that are weird about it but isn't that always the case? They didn't touch my 66 Triumph Bonneville which was right in front of the Vette or my wife's Mustang which was on the other side of the garage behind the big garage door. The Altima was right next to the Mustang but why would they want that? The small door was the only door that was open and that is where I parked the Vette. They may have been looking to clean out the entire garage but got spooked by something and left. This could have been way worse.

Our garages are on the side of the house. You can't see the doors from the street and the nearest neighbor can't see our house. Apparently this type of thing is not uncommon in this area over the last ten years, so I've been told, and the police said they see it all of the time all over the city. It makes sense that they would though. They also said that the chance of seeing my car again is slim to none. Needless to say we will be using the slide bolts on the garage doors at night and when we go away now that someone knows what is in our garage.

The security company will be out Tuesday to look the system over. The system was in the house when we bought it last January and we just continued with the same service. I want to know why there was no alarm because all of the garage doors are wired and on the list. I can't find anything wrong with any of the doors or the sensors. We don't have any trouble arming the system and it was armed while we were gone.

There really isn't much more to it right now. We may never know any more than we do right now so it's wait and see. One thing for sure is that I am tired of agonizing over it and it's time for me to let it go for a while.

Thanks for your concern and good luck. I really hope it doesn't happen to anyone else but we all know it will somewhere.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have seen people pay way way way too much for salvage cars at salvage auctions. I've told many of my cop friends this same thing and this is why this somtimes happens. They buy a trashed car that anybody legit would not consider fixing for a title even a salvage title can be turned into a rebuilt. Then steal a good car and swap the VIN numbers. Either that or sometimes use the parts from the stolen car to fix the damaged car. The people that got yours are obviously pros not your typical dipsh!t with a dent puller and a screw driver trying to pop ignitions and take the car for a joy ride for a few days. For some reason yours caught their eye and they waited and planned it out. We can only speculate as to why. But I'd bet it's one of the reasons I mentioned.

I personally still think it's a guy that does repos and has a truck. Sure it could have been a rollback truck its all just too well planned out and executed for someone not use to "legally" stealing cars and use to being quiet and quick. I see drivers that aren't use to hooking cars and they take forever. So you have to be good at working the truck to be both fast she quiet. Maybe the guy couldnt resist the tenptation to use his skills and equipment for illegal things but that's just my thinking.
But hey man there are tons of these out there. If you love the car so much go find ya another one that's even better.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 623 Likes on 485 Posts

Sorry about your car.

Unfortunately, I know the feeling. I had one stolen from my driveway a few years ago. The good thing is it is only property and can be replaced although it is sad to lose something you liked.

Hopefully they will recover it in good shape or your insurance pays for a nice replacement.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 AM
The_Gray_Ghost
Instructor

This sucks OP. Sorry to hear about it.

I hate thieves. Hopefully you'll find a great Z06 to replace your old C5 with and the spark will come back.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Tonekingo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! Thats horrible. Sorry for your loss!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I assume that most if not all of you are aware that breaking into a garage that has the conventional garage door opener takes a thief 10 seconds or less. The video shows how this can be done as well as a SIMPLE solution that will prevent it:

The 6 Second Garage Door Break-In You Can Prevent - YouTube
I keep hearing this but have yet to see it done so apparently most burglars prefer the old smash your window method...

I also tend to believe most people couldn't do that very easily without being able to see what they were doing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It happened two weeks ago