Sponsored by:

Automatic & Rear Differential Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:40 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Automatic & Rear Differential Fluid Change

My 2001 A4 Convertible has 49,000 miles. I am the 2nd owner and don't have any records that the automatic transmission and rear differential fluids were ever changed. I am a firm believer in doing preventative maintenance on all my cars. Within the next 4 weeks, I want to have the fluids changed in the transmission and rear differential. I live in a condo complex and don't have the facilities or tools to do the service myself. I live in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin and would like recommendations from the Wisconsin members on where to have this service done in Southeast Wisconsin. Do any members recommend either Holz Chevrolet or Heiser Chevrolet? I believe they are the largest Corvette dealers in Southeast Wisconsin and support annual Corvette shows. Also looking to have my cars exterior detailed including cleaning the convertible soft top and applying protectant to it. Any recommendations where to have this done?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Might want to also post this in the Great Lakes Regional Section of the forum.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't have any recommendations on where to have it done, however, I also have a 2001 convertible with around 44,000 miles and had both the AT and rear axle fluids changed last week. The bill was $319 including taxes and shop supplies. This will give you an idea what to expect!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ironranger
Don't have any recommendations on where to have it done, however, I also have a 2001 convertible with around 44,000 miles and had both the AT and rear axle fluids changed last week. The bill was $319 including taxes and shop supplies. This will give you an idea what to expect!
Where did you have the work done? A Chevy dealer or an independent shop?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 AM
ironranger
Racer

Originally Posted by Rick369
Where did you have the work done? A Chevy dealer or an independent shop?
I had it done at an independent shop that specializes in high performance cars and was recommended by local members of this Forum. I also had a bid that was very close from a Chevrolet dealer that sponsors one of the local Corvette Clubs. I have brought my car there previously for oil changes and I believe either one would have been fine. If there had been a large difference in the bids, I probably would have brought to the least expensive as I have confidence in both.
I am currently looking at replacing the front brake pads and rotors and the dealership is around $200 less. Guess where I'm bring it?
Am currently assessing whether I should go with ceramic pads or semi-metallic. There is a good discussion on this matter currently going on in this Forum that I am following!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM
ironranger
Racer

You had questioned detailing your car as well. Regarding the convertible top, whether you have it professionally detailed or not, a good product for maintaining it is RaggTopp. I purchased their kit, which includes a "cleaner" and a "conditioner". The kit runs around $29-39. I purchased it last year and used it once and plan to use it 1-2 times a year.
Most Corvette suppliers carry the product and you could order it through Amazon as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

I haven't received any recommendations from members in Southeastern Wisconsin. Either there aren't any other C5 members locally or they haven't participated in the forum recently.

I did go to 3 Chevy dealers today to get quotes. One locally where I live and 2 in Milwaukee, which is 35 miles from my home. One of the Milwaukee dealers and the local dealer both quoted flushing the automatic transmission. Using this process the filter would not be changed because they don't drop the pan. Both dealers quoted a price of $420.00 for the automatic transmission flush and change and the rear differential change. The other dealer in Milwaukee said they would not recommend this because of the age of the car and the miles. They recommend dropping the pan, cleaning the pan, change the filter and refill with transmission fluid. Their quote was $320.00 for the transmission and rear differential service.

I did find a Corvette speciality shop 30 miles from my home. Called and talked to the owner. Told him I wanted my transmission and rear differential fluid changed. Provided him the the year and mileage. He asked me if I abuse the car or tracked it. I told him neither. He said that neither fluid needed to be changed and wouldn't recommend it. I thought that was a strange comment seeing that I was a paying customer and wanted the service done.

I would appreciate comments and feedback from the forum members.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic & Rear Differential Fluid Change

Quick Reply: Automatic & Rear Differential Fluid Change