Sponsored by:

Your biggest "OH CRAP !!!" moments in your Vette

Old 07-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Your biggest "OH CRAP !!!" moments in your Vette

Guys:

Just thinking of a couple situations that happened to me in my Z06.

1.) I was sitting at a red light a few years back. Waiting to turn right. Behind 5 or so car's. All of a sudden I heard brakes locking up behind me and BIG tires squealing. You know that "sound" of when a truck with BIG tires locks them up (Lifted F250 with huge tires). I brace for impact... All of a sudden he swerves onto the grass beside me and stops. I look over and all I see is a monster truck tire beside my passenger side window... If he had of hit me it would have been BAD !

2.) I was cruising down a 2 lane road late at night. There were about 7 or so cars in front of me going about 40 in a 55mph zone. Nothing coming the other way, so I pull out to pass. I'm smoking by all 7 or so cars doing 80+. All of a sudden I see a reflector on the second car in line. Its a cop.... . I WOOOOA that mother down to speed and sneak in behind the 3rd car in line. He Must have heard my car, and for sure saw the headlights of my car about to smoke by him. I got lucky !

What are your biggest OH CRAP !!! moments ?

Toque
Old 07-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

1) Fixing the HUD, looking at the dash sitting on the garage floor, wondering if I was going to be able get it back in.

2) Later in the process, looking at the fragments of the bezel, thinking I was going to have to put the dash back in to drive the car while waiting for the new one, then take the dash out again to install it. (Turned out it is possible to install the HUD bezel with the dash in place...thank god.)
Old 07-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Surfer G
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Guys:

Just thinking of a couple situations that happened to me in my Z06.

1.) I was sitting at a red light a few years back. Waiting to turn right. Behind 5 or so car's. All of a sudden I heard brakes locking up behind me and BIG tires squealing. You know that "sound" of when a truck with BIG tires locks them up (Lifted F250 with huge tires). I brace for impact... All of a sudden he swerves onto the grass beside me and stops. I look over and all I see is a monster truck tire beside my passenger side window... If he had of hit me it would have been BAD !

2.) I was cruising down a 2 lane road late at night. There were about 7 or so cars in front of me going about 40 in a 55mph zone. Nothing coming the other way, so I pull out to pass. I'm smoking by all 7 or so cars doing 80+. All of a sudden I see a reflector on the second car in line. Its a cop.... . I WOOOOA that mother down to speed and sneak in behind the 3rd car in line. He Must have heard my car, and for sure saw the headlights of my car about to smoke by him. I got lucky !

What are your biggest OH CRAP !!! moments ?

Toque
Was going north on I81 in VA, 7:30 am traffic was light, big rig up a head so I put on my signal and started to pass, as I got along side of the trailer he decided to pull in the left lane. He started to push me into the guard rails, I thought for a split second either hit the brakes hopping the back of the trailer wouldn't hit me or hit the gas and get by him, I hit the gas and just got by him inches from the guard rails. after I got by he pulled back in to the right lane. Took the next exit to check my shorts.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

writing the check.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

1.) Was leaving a friends house with a few other corvettes to head to a meet. We pull on to the feeder road to get on the highway, a C6 2 corvettes ahead of me forgot to latch his top and sure enough it went flying up into the air and crashing down. Bearly missed the C5 in front of me and myself.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

A third of the way down the front straight just making my fourth gear shift when I heard a bang, saw a large cloud of blue/white smoke behind me, and then everything went expensively quiet.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:45 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ECBM failure while WOT getting on the freeway with a fair amount of traffic..."reduced power mode" and I'm suddenly crawling on the freeway with cars swerving left and right to get around me. That was unnerving.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 PM
ZOsix
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Doing triple digits on a country road when the valentine one goes off and you see flashing red blue lights. Thankfully he just got a truck going the opposite direction.
Not sure it was "oh crap" but it was "oh" something.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:44 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Kale
Writing the check.

Excellent!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Seeing two blue haired ladies heading toward me. They were driving the wrong way down a four lane road.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Driving down a two lane country road near dusk and suddenly a large deer jumped out in front of me. Luckily I was able to miss him, but sure had the heart rate pumping fast for a few minutes.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:06 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I remember mine - even got a video of it! Here starting at 0:45...

Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

Hitting a skunk. I was *really* apprehensive about my chances of killing the smell. I hit the skunk full-on at 40mph; the smell was strong but not gag-reflex overpowering.

It took me ~2 hours of steady application after I got the car up in the air, but there's not a hint of it, even when the car's been at operating temps for hours. Just in case someone searches "hitting a skunk":

My recipe:

spray the affected area with a mixture of
1 Qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp. liquid soap

follow that with a sprayed mix of

50/50 Ammonia and water

then follow that with
Brakeleen

I laid a 2' diameter fan on its' side and blew the air under the car at me. Successively after each treatment, the smell lessened and lessened until it was so faint after the 50/50 Ammonia/water that I chased it with Brakeleen more out of brutality than need.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Driving down a two lane country road near dusk and suddenly a large deer jumped out in front of me. Luckily I was able to miss him, but sure had the heart rate pumping fast for a few minutes.
Just before dawn going to work on a secondary highway I crested a hill and saw a large deer standing in my lane. I missed him, but another one jumped out and I hit him square at about 65 mph. He came over the hood and destroyed the pop up headlights and they launched him over the roof. It was an exciting few moments and several thousand $$$$.

My most recent was not as dramatic. I was rolling a used tire in front of the Corvette. It slipped away from me and the side of the tire/wheel touched the front bumper. There was a 1/4" wide 4" long mark on the bumper. I thought the edge of the rim scraped the paint off the car. I was lucky and it was some grease and dirt that wiped off the bumper with no apparent damage, but it was really an Oh Crap moment.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:58 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

going airborne on one of the twisty roads shortly after leaving NCM....
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

When I first got my C5, I was trying to pass someone on a two lane road with moderate traffic and forgot that I was not in a Honda Civic. Fishtailing and still remaining in control without hitting anything, then slowing down to recover from the adrenalin rush was my OH CRAP moment lol.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:45 PM
JimInPA
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes

Corvette autocross slide - YouTube
What is the wet looking stuff on your Vette? I never saw that before. I go "Oh Crap" whenever I get caught in the rain! LoL!

Get notified of new replies

To Your biggest "OH CRAP !!!" moments in your Vette

Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default This just happened today!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...s-warning.html
Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes

Corvette autocross slide - YouTube

Where did you get that Corvette boat?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Mine, traveling down a local street, running about 5 over the speed limit in my former C5 Coupe.

Stupid SUV pulls directly out in front on me. I slam on the brake cut the wheel and go into a side ways slide (in the rain). Missed the b*tch by about 2 feet. She just looks at me, like she did nothing wrong. After I get my composure, I have to follow behind her for three miles on a two lane road. Needless to say she drove 15 miles UNDER the speed limit the entire way. In a hurry to pull out in front of someone, but not in a hurry once they are in front of you.

Second time, was in my Z06. Traveling about 20 MPH, when some SUV pulls out in front of me, about three feet away. Luckily, nothing coming on the left, so I dropped a gear and nailed it, before coming up on a curve (two lane road). Lost a Diet Coke in the cup holder and cussed all the way home. Had to clean her up in the dark. Took two hours!

Third time, SUV again on GA 400 North Atlanta. Stupid SUV is using their crank talker (cell phone, don't think these things will crank up without cell phone in use), and pulls directly on top of me!! Slam on brakes, ABS activates. Missed them about 6 inches. They don't even acknowledge me, and then proceed to do 50 in a 65 MPH zone, in the far left lane. Finally got around to passing them (on the right) and showed my appeciation with my middle finger.

So if you guys ever wonder why I simply HATE SUVs and their drivers, now ya know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your biggest "OH CRAP !!!" moments in your Vette